Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 24, 2011
2:14:08 PM
Can I take advantage of this Early Upgrade tactic?

I am on a 2 year contract and i'm not eligible for an upgrade until April 2012. Since you can start a new contract by adding a new line onto my family plan to get an iPhone 4S for the subsidized price, Can I be able to cancel one of my lines by paying the cancellation fee (90$ for me) then readd the line in and starting a new contract for the iPhone 4S w/ Data Plan (subsidized price)?

I am on a 2 year contract and i'm not eligible for an upgrade until April 2012. Since you can start a new contract by adding a new line onto my family plan to get an iPhone 4S for the subsidized price, Can I be able to cancel one of my lines by paying the cancellation fee (90$ for me) then readd the line in and starting a new contract for the iPhone 4S w/ Data Plan (subsidized price)?

Can I take advantage of this Early Upgrade tactic?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 3:19:38 PM
(0)
Professor

x0xYeuEmx0x wrote:

i think that might work but i am not sure. maybe some one will provide a better answer. i read on here a long time ago once you cancel a line and pay the ETF you have to wait like  90 days to readd the line, but i am not sure if this is ture.  again maybe some one can post a better answer than me.

x0xYeuEmx0x wrote:

i think that might work but i am not sure. maybe some one will provide a better answer. i read on here a long time ago once you cancel a line and pay the ETF you have to wait like  90 days to readd the line, but i am not sure if this is ture.  again maybe some one can post a better answer than me.

hello!!!

Re: Can I take advantage of this Early Upgrade tactic?

2 of 4 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 4:55:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

No you cannot do what you described.  If you attemtp to start a new line within 90 days of cancelling a line AT&T will simply re-initiate your old contract.

Doing what you described would also cause you to lose your existing number.

No you cannot do what you described.  If you attemtp to start a new line within 90 days of cancelling a line AT&T will simply re-initiate your old contract.

3 of 4 (628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 7:54:21 AM
(0)
Guru

Ryan_ATL wrote:

Not sure exactly how that is necessarily a bad thing, other than the part about losing the existing number from the old/canceled line--if AT&T reinitiates his old contract, it's not as if they'll reinitiate his old contract AND his canceled line; once OP gets his subsidized iPhone on his newly-added line, he'll be under (a) contract anyway.  Now if OP were to cancel his old line, then open a new line but chose not to purchase a subsidized handset and AT&T does exactly what you described--then I can see how it may not be a good thing for OP to do...but cleary OP is not looking to open a new line just for the sake of opening one

I think OP can get around it by first adding a new line so that he can get his subsidized iPhone, then cancel his old line--knowing that he will be losing his old number.  Even if AT&T decides to reinitiate his old contract, it's not as if it would put him in a very deep hole, as far as how long he has to wait before he's allowed to purchase another discounted phone--if he does it within the 90-day window, then at most the eventual total length of the contract on his new line will wind up being no longer than 27 months (2 years plus the 90-day cancel window)...a small price to pay just so that he can get a discounted iPhone 4s, given that at the time of his post he still had another 4+ months remaining on his current contract.

Ryan_ATL wrote:

Not sure exactly how that is necessarily a bad thing, other than the part about losing the existing number from the old/canceled line--if AT&T reinitiates his old contract, it's not as if they'll reinitiate his old contract AND his canceled line; once OP gets his subsidized iPhone on his newly-added line, he'll be under (a) contract anyway.  Now if OP were to cancel his old line, then open a new line but chose not to purchase a subsidized handset and AT&T does exactly what you described--then I can see how it may not be a good thing for OP to do...but cleary OP is not looking to open a new line just for the sake of opening one

I think OP can get around it by first adding a new line so that he can get his subsidized iPhone, then cancel his old line--knowing that he will be losing his old number.  Even if AT&T decides to reinitiate his old contract, it's not as if it would put him in a very deep hole, as far as how long he has to wait before he's allowed to purchase another discounted phone--if he does it within the 90-day window, then at most the eventual total length of the contract on his new line will wind up being no longer than 27 months (2 years plus the 90-day cancel window)...a small price to pay just so that he can get a discounted iPhone 4s, given that at the time of his post he still had another 4+ months remaining on his current contract.

4 of 4 (545 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments