Can I take advantage of this Early Upgrade tactic?

Voyager

Can I take advantage of this Early Upgrade tactic?

I am on a 2 year contract and i'm not eligible for an upgrade until April 2012. Since you can start a new contract by adding a new line onto my family plan to get an iPhone 4S for the subsidized price, Can I be able to cancel one of my lines by paying the cancellation fee (90$ for me) then readd the line in and starting a new contract for the iPhone 4S w/ Data Plan (subsidized price)?

Message 1 of 4
Professor

Re: Can I take advantage of this Early Upgrade tactic?

x0xYeuEmx0x wrote:

I am on a 2 year contract and i'm not eligible for an upgrade until April 2012. Since you can start a new contract by adding a new line onto my family plan to get an iPhone 4S for the subsidized price, Can I be able to cancel one of my lines by paying the cancellation fee (90$ for me) then readd the line in and starting a new contract for the iPhone 4S w/ Data Plan (subsidized price)?

i think that might work but i am not sure. maybe some one will provide a better answer. i read on here a long time ago once you cancel a line and pay the ETF you have to wait like  90 days to readd the line, but i am not sure if this is ture.  again maybe some one can post a better answer than me.

Message 2 of 4
Scholar

No you cannot do what you described.  If you attemtp to start a new line within 90 days of cancelling a line AT&T will simply re-initiate your old contract.

Doing what you described would also cause you to lose your existing number.

Message 3 of 4
Guru

Ryan_ATL wrote:

No you cannot do what you described.  If you attemtp to start a new line within 90 days of cancelling a line AT&T will simply re-initiate your old contract.

Doing what you described would also cause you to lose your existing number.

Not sure exactly how that is necessarily a bad thing, other than the part about losing the existing number from the old/canceled line--if AT&T reinitiates his old contract, it's not as if they'll reinitiate his old contract AND his canceled line; once OP gets his subsidized iPhone on his newly-added line, he'll be under (a) contract anyway.  Now if OP were to cancel his old line, then open a new line but chose not to purchase a subsidized handset and AT&T does exactly what you described--then I can see how it may not be a good thing for OP to do...but cleary OP is not looking to open a new line just for the sake of opening one

I think OP can get around it by first adding a new line so that he can get his subsidized iPhone, then cancel his old line--knowing that he will be losing his old number.  Even if AT&T decides to reinitiate his old contract, it's not as if it would put him in a very deep hole, as far as how long he has to wait before he's allowed to purchase another discounted phone--if he does it within the 90-day window, then at most the eventual total length of the contract on his new line will wind up being no longer than 27 months (2 years plus the 90-day cancel window)...a small price to pay just so that he can get a discounted iPhone 4s, given that at the time of his post he still had another 4+ months remaining on his current contract.

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support