Can I reprogram the center black key on a Samsung Evergreen?

Highlighted
Tutor

Can I reprogram the center black key on a Samsung Evergreen?

On a Samsung, there are two keys for select and back that look like underlines, then a center button with 4 skinny buttons around it. The four skininy buttons can be programatically set to a few options (not many good ones, but at least a few things).

However...

The center black button is set to invoke some java app that says it is att.net. I suspect this results in me getting some sort of extra charges - I don't have a data plan.

I would like to reprogram that button to do something that does not cost me. The button gets hit by accident a lot of times and that is very frustrating.

Is it possible to do that?

Message 1 of 4 (311 Views)
Master

Re: Can I reprogram the center black key on a Samsung Evergreen?

lvirden wrote:

On a Samsung, there are two keys for select and back that look like underlines, then a center button with 4 skinny buttons around it. The four skininy buttons can be programatically set to a few options (not many good ones, but at least a few things).

However...

The center black button is set to invoke some java app that says it is att.net. I suspect this results in me getting some sort of extra charges - I don't have a data plan.

I would like to reprogram that button to do something that does not cost me. The button gets hit by accident a lot of times and that is very frustrating.

Is it possible to do that?

You are correct about the extra charges. Every single time you accidentally hit that button, your bill will get slapped with a $2 data access charge. Not something to look forward to.

There is not a way to re-program the browser button, but you can at least change the settings for browser connectivity (make up some fake profile) so that if/when you accidentally hit that button by mistake, you will not get charged.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 4 (294 Views)
Tutor

So, here's what I have tried - perhaps someone can help me out finishing this up.

I went into Menu > Settings > Applications Settings > Browser Settings > Browser Profiles  > Select, and selected Create to create a new profile.

It gave it the name Connection 01 which was fine.

I gave it the access name of Do not connect, Auth type Secure , User Id of do not login, Password of do not login, Protocol of http, URL of google.com, Proxy address of google.com, linger time of 3 seconds, and, under Advanced, listed static dns (where I left the ip addresses at 0.0.0.0 and .1).

When I press the middle button, it appears that it is somehow going ahead and trying to do something - I didn't let it go very far, to see what happens, because I was afraid of getting another charge.

Does that look like it would be sufficient?

Message 3 of 4 (279 Views)
Master

It looks like you could have tricked it...but you never really know unless you try for sure. If you're willing to take the risk of being charged another $2, press the browser connectivity button again and see what happens. If it connects to the MEdia Net/other browser type, you will know that it did not work. If the phone gives you some sort of connection error, you will know that you have made a successful dummy profile. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 4 (272 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.