Can I own my own phone ?

Mentor

Can I own my own phone ?

How does ATT survive with the way they treat their customers? I bought my Blackberry over a year ago, and my wife also has one. We got them unlocked because she is from Asia, and we visit there a lot. We buy sim cards while there and get really cheap and really advanced phone service. When we come home, we return to ATT.

Recently my wife had a problem with her phone and had to replace it under warranty, and now ATT refuses to give us the unlock code.

Wait, isnt this MY phone ? Dont I have a right to do what I want with MY property ? What gives this GIANT Corporation the right to control parts of MY life ? How is this even legal in America?

CANT WAIT FOR MY CONTRACT TO EXPIRE !!!!

Message 1 of 16
Professor

Re: Can I own my own phone ?

Just call in and get it unlocked, they unlock it for international travel. Shouldnt be a problem at all.

Message 2 of 16
Mentor

UNSC_REACH  , what part of "AT&T refuses...." do you not understand ?

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

When I started my contract with AT&T there was no problem unlocking blackberry bolds. Somehow in mid-contract they have changed their policy on certain phones, and I, the loyal customer got screwed !!

{Please keep it courteous}

Message 3 of 16
Professor

Hey Irondog, thanks for taking your anger out on me.

Now, let me lay this one out for you: ATT will unlock phones for international travel, doesnt matter how much is left on the contract, if you meet the requirements, like the phone isnt stolen etc. I am aware of the class action lawsuit, and it has nothing to do with unlocking for INTL travel.

Try to do some research of your own before yelling at me.

Message 4 of 16
Master

Irondog wrote:

How is this even legal in America?

In the US unlike some other countries there are no regulations or laws which require unlocking.  That said AT&T is normally resonable about this except for iPhones.  Did they give you a reason why they would not provide the unlock code?

Message 5 of 16
Mentor

UNSC REACH I think you should READ fully before responding. I was not taking out my anger against AT&T on you, but I was angry that you took their side {Please keep it courteous}

OK first of all, how can you say that they will unlock phones for international travel, yet you havent even said that they have done it for you or anyone you know ?

Message 6 of 16
Mentor

DWC1 are you SURE they are usually reasonable about this? or are you guessing ? Do you have a personal experience with it ?

I have said my experience. I have been trying for MONTHS to get an unlock code for a Bold 9000 which is not an exclusive AT&T phone.

As stated in original post, it is for international travel, my account is paid and in good standing, my phone isnt stolen, ect......

Message 7 of 16
ACE - Expert

Irondog wrote:

DWC1 are you SURE they are usually reasonable about this? or are you guessing ? Do you have a personal experience with it ?

I have said my experience. I have been trying for MONTHS to get an unlock code for a Bold 9000 which is not an exclusive AT&T phone.

As stated in original post, it is for international travel, my account is paid and in good standing, my phone isnt stolen, ect......

How long have you had the phone? I believe there is a waiting period on new phones before they will unlock. I believe it is something like 6 months to a year. Except for the iPhone which they will not unlock.

Otherwise you can buy an unlocked phone direct from the manufacturer but you must pay full retail price.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Scholar

With your obvious lack of tact, I can see why they are unwilling to help you.

Message 9 of 16
Professor

Belome, ditto. Great point.

Message 10 of 16
Master

Now be nice everybody... Just simply put your answer/input it without screaming and fighting at each other. Smiley Indifferent

No side-comments, please. Especially directed at oneself. Do I need to provide the Forum Guidelines link?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 11 of 16
Master

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I have gotten phones unlocked for international travel.  Granted, this was a few years ago, but they didn't give me a problem unlocking my Windows Mobile smartphone.

Irondog wrote:
UNSC REACH I think you should READ fully before responding. I was not taking out my anger against AT&T on you, but I was angry that you took their side {Please keep it courteous}

OK first of all, how can you say that they will unlock phones for international travel, yet you havent even said that they have done it for you or anyone you know ?

Message 12 of 16
Former Moderator

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic and always keep it courteous. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 13 of 16
Professor

Thank you Brian, I guess I'm not the only one that can reasonably talk to customer care and get the phone unlocked for a real reason.

Message 14 of 16
Master

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Thank you Brian, I guess I'm not the only one that can reasonably talk to customer care and get the phone unlocked for a real reason.

Yeah, and not being screamed at and argued with when you're just trying to help/offer advice... Smiley Indifferent    Smiley Very Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 15 of 16
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support