Can I have a data block / text message block and not pay for a data plan on my smartphone

Contributor

Can I have a data block / text message block and not pay for a data plan on my smartphone

I called at least my 5 different AT&T representatives. They all told me the same thing: If I want a smartphone, I must have a data plan. It does not matter where I bought or how much I paid for the smartphone.

I then asked them why?

They all answered: AT&T does not everyone to have a surprise on the bill (data usage section). AT&T cannot block data on smartphones. As a result, AT&T requires all smartphones to have a data plan.

My question to you: Is it possible to have a data block / text message block on a smartphone? I am using a Samsung Galaxy S (with AT&T logo). I currently have data block / text message block on my AT&T wireless account. I cannot use Internet at all (if wifi is turned off) because of the data block / text message block. I wonder why these 5 AT&T reps told me that they could perform a data block / text message block on any smartphones.

I can understand if I buy a new smartphone at subsidized price, I must have a 2-year contract and data plan. I also understand if I do not have data block / text messge block on my wireless account, I must have data plan for my smartphone so that I do not experience a shock on my wireless bill (data usage section).

I don't understand why I am still required a data plan on my smartphone with a data block / text message block.  

Message 1 of 3 (1,650 Views)
Expert

Re: Can I have a data block / text message block and not pay for a data plan on my smartphone

linhvuus wrote:

I called at least my 5 different AT&T representatives. They all told me the same thing: If I want a smartphone, I must have a data plan. It does not matter where I bought or how much I paid for the smartphone.

I then asked them why?

They all answered: AT&T does not everyone to have a surprise on the bill (data usage section). AT&T cannot block data on smartphones. As a result, AT&T requires all smartphones to have a data plan.

My question to you: Is it possible to have a data block / text message block on a smartphone? I am using a Samsung Galaxy S (with AT&T logo). I currently have data block / text message block on my AT&T wireless account. I cannot use Internet at all (if wifi is turned off) because of the data block / text message block. I wonder why these 5 AT&T reps told me that they could perform a data block / text message block on any smartphones.

I can understand if I buy a new smartphone at subsidized price, I must have a 2-year contract and data plan. I also understand if I do not have data block / text messge block on my wireless account, I must have data plan for my smartphone so that I do not experience a shock on my wireless bill (data usage section).

I don't understand why I am still required a data plan on my smartphone with a data block / text message block.  

possible - yes if you can find a rep that will do it, but it will not remove the required smartphone data plan, it wil be added no matter what. you are required to have it because it is a requirement of the device's terms of service

Message 2 of 3 (1,645 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Can I have a data block / text message block and not pay for a data plan on my smartphone

Because you are - those are AT&T's rules for all smartphones since 2009 or so. Sorry, but if you don't like it you can find a carrier that doesn't require data plans for user-purchased smartphones.

Message 3 of 3 (1,612 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.