Helpful Links

Can I get GPS coordinates without subscribing to Navigator?

Tutor

Can I get GPS coordinates without subscribing to Navigator?

I have a Samsung Sunburst.  I know it has GPS hardware, and I know I can subscribe to Navigator to get directions, etc.  My question is this:  Can I get GPS coordinates WITHOUT subscribing to Navigator?  The only thing I need from GPS is the exact coordinates of where ever I happen to be standing at the time.  I need to be able to record these coordinates (ex. great-great-grandparents' house, workplace, grave site, etc.) for a detailed family history resource I am producing for my daughter and grandkids.  I am on the free trial of Navigator, but it seems like a waste to pay $10/month for turn by turn directions, etc., when all I need is an occasional GPS coordinate (basic latitude and longitude) so that others can find the exact location referred to.  I've checked with Samsung and ATT and nobody has helped me yet.

Message 1 of 9
Master

Re: Can I get GPS coordinates without subscribing to Navigator?

It might be worth investing in a handheld dedicated GPS unit.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
Tutor

Does that mean that my Sunburst won't do the job?

Message 3 of 9
Master

No idea, but the dedicated unit will give you the detailed GPS coordinates without a monthly fee.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
Tutor

I get that, but if my phone will do the job without using Navigator, I won't have the monthly fee AND I won't have the cash outlay for a dedicated unit either.

Message 5 of 9
Mentor

I'm not familiar with the Sunburst, so I had to go to the support page. It appears to me that it has a proprietary OS (operating system) and not Android, so you are limited to only the embedded apps that came with device. If it were an Android device, you'd simply go to the Market and download one of the many free GIS (Geographic Information System) software that works with your onboard GPS.

Message 6 of 9
Tutor

What support page did you go to?  Was that samsung.com support or att.com support?

Message 7 of 9
Expert

cjperry56 wrote:

What support page did you go to?  Was that samsung.com support or att.com support?

don;t see it on att's site anymore, but reading samsung support and the manual it is a designated qmd type device - aka not a smartphone so it appears you are stuck with the pay service.

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted

Yup.  Smartphones can use third-party apps to access the GPS hardware.  TomTom for Windows Mobile 5.x/6.x, ??? for WP7, Google Maps Navigation (which is actually preinstalled) plus other stuff for Android.

Unfortunately "semi-smart" phones using proprietary OSes are not likely to be able to do much with the GPS, if anything at all.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support