Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 5, 2011
7:54:35 AM
Can I do this switch?

I still have about 5 months left on my contract, but there is another line on our account that is upgrade eligible.

Is it possible for me to upgrade to a smartphone on the eligible line, switch the new phone to my line and revert the  upgraded line to continue to use the original phone? And if so, can I cancel the data plan on that line that I am forced to get with the upgrade?

I still have about 5 months left on my contract, but there is another line on our account that is upgrade eligible.

Is it possible for me to upgrade to a smartphone on the eligible line, switch the new phone to my line and revert the  upgraded line to continue to use the original phone? And if so, can I cancel the data plan on that line that I am forced to get with the upgrade?

Can I do this switch?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 8:18:16 AM
(0)
Master

Yes you can do this.  You may cancel the data plan on the new line as long as the phone on it is not a smartphone that requires a data plan.  This is done all the time.  Your contact is for voice service and NOT data.  Data is driven by the type of phone you are using on the network and you do not have to use that phone for the 2 years of your contract.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Yes you can do this.  You may cancel the data plan on the new line as long as the phone on it is not a smartphone that requires a data plan.  This is done all the time.  Your contact is for voice service and NOT data.  Data is driven by the type of phone you are using on the network and you do not have to use that phone for the 2 years of your contract.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Can I do this switch?

2 of 9 (201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 9:31:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

What are the logistics in doing a switch like this?

What hoops do I have to jump through to make sure I don't accidentally cut off my mother in law's existing phone? Do I just call up AT&T and have them activate the phone on my number instead (and then cancel the new data plan I was forced to get when I ordered it)?

What are the logistics in doing a switch like this?

What hoops do I have to jump through to make sure I don't accidentally cut off my mother in law's existing phone? Do I just call up AT&T and have them activate the phone on my number instead (and then cancel the new data plan I was forced to get when I ordered it)?

3 of 9 (165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 1:15:04 PM
(0)
Master

You can call but you could also go to a corporate store to do the swap in person to ensure it is done right.

You can call but you could also go to a corporate store to do the swap in person to ensure it is done right.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 9 (159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 8:04:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

Will I need to have my mother in law's phone when I go into the store to do the switch and activation?

Will I need to have my mother in law's phone when I go into the store to do the switch and activation?

5 of 9 (141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 11:42:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too have a similar question. I currently have Blackberry Torch, and I am about 6month into the 2yr plan.  I realized that my wife's iphone does better with baby apps and other things that will our 21month happy.  Unfortunately, Blackberries aren't as app friendly as the iphone or android phones..... If I get a different smart phone, say, an iphone or an android phone, will be penalized for it?  My understanding is, as long as I have a data plan that will support the phone, AT&T wouldn't care what kind of phone I get, as long as I stay with the current Voice plan. (450min.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I too have a similar question. I currently have Blackberry Torch, and I am about 6month into the 2yr plan.  I realized that my wife's iphone does better with baby apps and other things that will our 21month happy.  Unfortunately, Blackberries aren't as app friendly as the iphone or android phones..... If I get a different smart phone, say, an iphone or an android phone, will be penalized for it?  My understanding is, as long as I have a data plan that will support the phone, AT&T wouldn't care what kind of phone I get, as long as I stay with the current Voice plan. (450min.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

6 of 9 (116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 12:28:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You can do this, but it depends on how you happen to obtain the new iPhone or Android phone. You would not be eligible for an upgrade yet, so you cannot upgrade at the subsidized price unless you want to pay the ETF for your remaining contract and get the new phone at a subsidized cost, starting another two-year contract.

You could purchase the phone somewhere else such as eBay or craigslist and keep your current contract. All you would be doing is simply switching phones. I would do it this way if I were you.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

You can do this, but it depends on how you happen to obtain the new iPhone or Android phone. You would not be eligible for an upgrade yet, so you cannot upgrade at the subsidized price unless you want to pay the ETF for your remaining contract and get the new phone at a subsidized cost, starting another two-year contract.

You could purchase the phone somewhere else such as eBay or craigslist and keep your current contract. All you would be doing is simply switching phones. I would do it this way if I were you.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2011 9:34:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Great! that's what I wanted to know! Smiley Happy I will most likely get a used phone.

Great! that's what I wanted to know! Smiley Happy I will most likely get a used phone.

8 of 9 (88 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 3:39:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Alright. Sounds good. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Alright. Sounds good. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 9 (86 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments