Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 22, 2010
9:33:26 PM
View profile
Can I delete contacts from my SIM card?

When I recently transferred my contacts from my SIM to my phone, it created duplicate entries. Now all of my contacts are listed 2 or 3 times (not quite sure why some are there 3 times). Isn't there a way to delete all of the contacts from the SIM at once without deleting them from the phone? I'd hate to have to delete almost 200 contacts individually....

Smiley Mad

When I recently transferred my contacts from my SIM to my phone, it created duplicate entries. Now all of my contacts are listed 2 or 3 times (not quite sure why some are there 3 times). Isn't there a way to delete all of the contacts from the SIM at once without deleting them from the phone? I'd hate to have to delete almost 200 contacts individually....

Smiley Mad

Can I delete contacts from my SIM card?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 6:25:55 PM
(0)
Guru

It depends on the phone model.  Some phones will have a "SIM Management" or similar option in the address book.  If yours does, look there.  You can also check the device tutorials for some information on contact management.

Alternately, do you have another phone - perhaps an old phone or one you keep around just as an emergency backup?  Put your SIM card in that phone, and delete all the contacts without worrying about where they're stored.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

It depends on the phone model.  Some phones will have a "SIM Management" or similar option in the address book.  If yours does, look there.  You can also check the device tutorials for some information on contact management.

Alternately, do you have another phone - perhaps an old phone or one you keep around just as an emergency backup?  Put your SIM card in that phone, and delete all the contacts without worrying about where they're stored.

Re: Can I delete contacts from my SIM card?

2 of 4 (3,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2010 9:41:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, but no dice. Smiley Indifferent The tutorials only say how to copy from SIM to phone and vice versa, which is what I did that created the problem, or delete them ALL at once. I tried putting the SIM in my other phone, but it was it was invalid. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, but no dice. Smiley Indifferent The tutorials only say how to copy from SIM to phone and vice versa, which is what I did that created the problem, or delete them ALL at once. I tried putting the SIM in my other phone, but it was it was invalid. Any other suggestions?

3 of 4 (3,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2010 1:36:34 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by erichamion on Nov 26, 2010 at 1:38:25 PM

Hmm.  I can't really add much more.

It sounds like you're using a prepaid phone and the SIM is locked to it (or the other phone you tried is prepaid and locked to a different SIM)?  If there's a valid reason or if the phone is more than 180 days old, Customer Care may be able to remove that lock.  However, please be aware that changing SIM cards (even temporarily) in a prepaid phone can have consequences if you later need warranty service on that phone.

Some phones have an option to move contacts, rather than just copy.  If the option is there, though, I'd try it with just a single contact, first.  If the doesn't work as expected, you don't want to end up with more duplicates stored in the phone.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Hmm.  I can't really add much more.

It sounds like you're using a prepaid phone and the SIM is locked to it (or the other phone you tried is prepaid and locked to a different SIM)?  If there's a valid reason or if the phone is more than 180 days old, Customer Care may be able to remove that lock.  However, please be aware that changing SIM cards (even temporarily) in a prepaid phone can have consequences if you later need warranty service on that phone.

Some phones have an option to move contacts, rather than just copy.  If the option is there, though, I'd try it with just a single contact, first.  If the doesn't work as expected, you don't want to end up with more duplicates stored in the phone.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (3,390 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments