Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 20, 2008
2:46:23 PM
View profile
Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2008 6:47:46 PM
(0)
Master
Yes
Yes

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

2 of 10 (9,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2008 4:44:00 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yes.  I would further suggest getting a USB extension cable or antenna for the modem, to get it away from the desktop.  You will get better reception and speeds if you can move the modem at least a 1-2 feet away (or more depending on your desk setup).  But otherwise, it works very well.
Yes.  I would further suggest getting a USB extension cable or antenna for the modem, to get it away from the desktop.  You will get better reception and speeds if you can move the modem at least a 1-2 feet away (or more depending on your desk setup).  But otherwise, it works very well.

3 of 10 (9,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2008 8:07:46 AM
(0)
Contributor
Can someone explain what this means to me.  I have a sierra wireless card and would like to be able to buy a modem or something so that I can use it on my desktop as well as my laptop.  Is that possible ?
Can someone explain what this means to me.  I have a sierra wireless card and would like to be able to buy a modem or something so that I can use it on my desktop as well as my laptop.  Is that possible ?

4 of 10 (9,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2008 8:20:57 AM
(0)
Mentor
sbrewer,

Which model of Sierra Wireless card do you have?

If it's the 875U or 881U, then it's a standard USB interface, and can be used with any PC, laptop or desktop.

If it's a PC Card model, then it can only be used with a desktop if you have a special PC Card adapter. Those adapters can equal the cost of a new card. So if you haven't purchased yet, make sure you get the USB model. If you've already purchased a PC Card, then you can price out adapters here;

As mentioned, they aren't exactly cheap, it may make more sense just to buy an 875U or 881U depending on where you are in your contract.

coreyinoz

sbrewer,

Which model of Sierra Wireless card do you have?

If it's the 875U or 881U, then it's a standard USB interface, and can be used with any PC, laptop or desktop.

If it's a PC Card model, then it can only be used with a desktop if you have a special PC Card adapter. Those adapters can equal the cost of a new card. So if you haven't purchased yet, make sure you get the USB model. If you've already purchased a PC Card, then you can price out adapters here;

As mentioned, they aren't exactly cheap, it may make more sense just to buy an 875U or 881U depending on where you are in your contract.

coreyinoz

5 of 10 (9,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2008 8:21:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

sbrewer67 wrote:

You Sierra Wireless card is the "modem".  I assume you mean that your Sierra Wireless card is not a USB device.  You can get adapters to allow a PC Card or ExpressCard device (like you Sierra Wireless card) to plug into a desktop PC, from PC Card slots (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124021) to USB converters (http://www.pccard.co.uk/usb/u142.php).

Hope that helps

sbrewer67 wrote:

You Sierra Wireless card is the "modem".  I assume you mean that your Sierra Wireless card is not a USB device.  You can get adapters to allow a PC Card or ExpressCard device (like you Sierra Wireless card) to plug into a desktop PC, from PC Card slots (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124021) to USB converters (http://www.pccard.co.uk/usb/u142.php).

Hope that helps

6 of 10 (9,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2008 7:38:51 PM
(0)
Teacher
If you're going to use a usb card on your desktop remember per the terms and conditions "The parties agree that AT&T has the right to limit
throughput or amount of data transferred and/or deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month..."  - read as I wouldn't be using it as a shared connection or for downloading bit torrents.
If you're going to use a usb card on your desktop remember per the terms and conditions "The parties agree that AT&T has the right to limit
throughput or amount of data transferred and/or deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month..."  - read as I wouldn't be using it as a shared connection or for downloading bit torrents.

7 of 10 (9,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2008 4:28:52 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

markharr wrote:

Hope that helps

One thing to consider is that AT&T is unable to support third party PCI to PC Card, or PC Card to ExpressCard converters.  Like other posters, I would reccomend the AT&T USBConnect 881 for you situation.

markharr wrote:

Hope that helps

One thing to consider is that AT&T is unable to support third party PCI to PC Card, or PC Card to ExpressCard converters.  Like other posters, I would reccomend the AT&T USBConnect 881 for you situation.

8 of 10 (8,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2008 5:42:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

Luckey wrote:

Then why does at&t take out the converters when branding for sale on their site.  Sierra supplies the ExpressCard converter on devices sold independently (according to their site), but at&t does not have it in their version.  And now you say if we pay additional for the converter from Sierra, it is not supported?

(I know, I know, you are the moderator of the forums, not an at&t employee, and do not have any more knowledge of why at&t does things than we do.  I'm just venting at the gorilla standing (supposedly) behind you.)

Luckey wrote:

Then why does at&t take out the converters when branding for sale on their site.  Sierra supplies the ExpressCard converter on devices sold independently (according to their site), but at&t does not have it in their version.  And now you say if we pay additional for the converter from Sierra, it is not supported?

(I know, I know, you are the moderator of the forums, not an at&t employee, and do not have any more knowledge of why at&t does things than we do.  I'm just venting at the gorilla standing (supposedly) behind you.)

9 of 10 (8,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2008 11:34:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by LCT on Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35:24 AM

markharr wrote:

Luckey wrote:

From a business standpoint why would AT&T offer them?  If you look at what Sierra offers it's a full blown docking station for the 881u not a simple cable.  Option's solution looks to be an adapter that changes the pin configuration.  AT&T probably buys tens of thousands of these cards and I don't imagine that Option and Sierra give these things to AT&T for free. Since AT&T offers a PC Card, ExpressCard, and USB card why would they want to dilute the amount of money they take in (or lose since they subsidize the cards) when they sell a card.  Anyway, I have to think that if you bought the adapater from Sierra or Option then they would be able to provide you support. 

Message Edited by LCT on 01-31-2008 11:35:24 AM

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

markharr wrote:

Luckey wrote:

From a business standpoint why would AT&T offer them?  If you look at what Sierra offers it's a full blown docking station for the 881u not a simple cable.  Option's solution looks to be an adapter that changes the pin configuration.  AT&T probably buys tens of thousands of these cards and I don't imagine that Option and Sierra give these things to AT&T for free. Since AT&T offers a PC Card, ExpressCard, and USB card why would they want to dilute the amount of money they take in (or lose since they subsidize the cards) when they sell a card.  Anyway, I have to think that if you bought the adapater from Sierra or Option then they would be able to provide you support. 

Message Edited by LCT on 01-31-2008 11:35:24 AM

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (8,838 Views)