Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

Contributor

Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?
Message 1 of 10 (9,170 Views)
Master

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

Yes
Message 2 of 10 (9,160 Views)
Scholar

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

Yes.  I would further suggest getting a USB extension cable or antenna for the modem, to get it away from the desktop.  You will get better reception and speeds if you can move the modem at least a 1-2 feet away (or more depending on your desk setup).  But otherwise, it works very well.
Message 3 of 10 (9,149 Views)
Contributor

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

Can someone explain what this means to me.  I have a sierra wireless card and would like to be able to buy a modem or something so that I can use it on my desktop as well as my laptop.  Is that possible ?
Message 4 of 10 (9,077 Views)
Mentor

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

sbrewer,
 
Which model of Sierra Wireless card do you have?
 
If it's the 875U or 881U, then it's a standard USB interface, and can be used with any PC, laptop or desktop.
 
If it's a PC Card model, then it can only be used with a desktop if you have a special PC Card adapter. Those adapters can equal the cost of a new card. So if you haven't purchased yet, make sure you get the USB model. If you've already purchased a PC Card, then you can price out adapters here;
 
 
As mentioned, they aren't exactly cheap, it may make more sense just to buy an 875U or 881U depending on where you are in your contract.
 
coreyinoz
 
 
Message 5 of 10 (9,073 Views)
Scholar

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?



sbrewer67 wrote:
Can someone explain what this means to me.  I have a sierra wireless card and would like to be able to buy a modem or something so that I can use it on my desktop as well as my laptop.  Is that possible ?


You Sierra Wireless card is the "modem".  I assume you mean that your Sierra Wireless card is not a USB device.  You can get adapters to allow a PC Card or ExpressCard device (like you Sierra Wireless card) to plug into a desktop PC, from PC Card slots (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124021) to USB converters (http://www.pccard.co.uk/usb/u142.php).
 
Hope that helps
Message 6 of 10 (9,071 Views)
Teacher

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

If you're going to use a usb card on your desktop remember per the terms and conditions "The parties agree that AT&T has the right to limit
throughput or amount of data transferred and/or deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month..."  - read as I wouldn't be using it as a shared connection or for downloading bit torrents.
Message 7 of 10 (9,034 Views)
Former Moderator

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?



markharr wrote:
 
You Sierra Wireless card is the "modem".  I assume you mean that your Sierra Wireless card is not a USB device.  You can get adapters to allow a PC Card or ExpressCard device (like you Sierra Wireless card) to plug into a desktop PC, from PC Card slots (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124021) to USB converters (http://www.pccard.co.uk/usb/u142.php).
 
Hope that helps


One thing to consider is that AT&T is unable to support third party PCI to PC Card, or PC Card to ExpressCard converters.  Like other posters, I would reccomend the AT&T USBConnect 881 for you situation.
Message 8 of 10 (8,911 Views)
Scholar

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?



Luckey wrote:
One thing to consider is that AT&T is unable to support third party PCI to PC Card, or PC Card to ExpressCard converters.  Like other posters, I would reccomend the AT&T USBConnect 881 for you situation.

Then why does at&t take out the converters when branding for sale on their site.  Sierra supplies the ExpressCard converter on devices sold independently (according to their site), but at&t does not have it in their version.  And now you say if we pay additional for the converter from Sierra, it is not supported?
 
(I know, I know, you are the moderator of the forums, not an at&t employee, and do not have any more knowledge of why at&t does things than we do.  I'm just venting at the gorilla standing (supposedly) behind you.)
Message 9 of 10 (8,905 Views)
Highlighted
LCT
Scholar

Re: Can I buy a wireless USB modem and use on a desktop?

[ Edited ]


markharr wrote:


Luckey wrote:
One thing to consider is that AT&T is unable to support third party PCI to PC Card, or PC Card to ExpressCard converters.  Like other posters, I would reccomend the AT&T USBConnect 881 for you situation.

Then why does at&t take out the converters when branding for sale on their site.  Sierra supplies the ExpressCard converter on devices sold independently (according to their site), but at&t does not have it in their version.  And now you say if we pay additional for the converter from Sierra, it is not supported?
 
(I know, I know, you are the moderator of the forums, not an at&t employee, and do not have any more knowledge of why at&t does things than we do.  I'm just venting at the gorilla standing (supposedly) behind you.)



From a business standpoint why would AT&T offer them?  If you look at what Sierra offers it's a full blown docking station for the 881u not a simple cable.  Option's solution looks to be an adapter that changes the pin configuration.  AT&T probably buys tens of thousands of these cards and I don't imagine that Option and Sierra give these things to AT&T for free. Since AT&T offers a PC Card, ExpressCard, and USB card why would they want to dilute the amount of money they take in (or lose since they subsidize the cards) when they sell a card.  Anyway, I have to think that if you bought the adapater from Sierra or Option then they would be able to provide you support. 


Message Edited by LCT on 01-31-2008 11:35:24 AM

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 10 (8,863 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.