Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 19, 2011
10:25:12 AM
View profile
Can I buy a cheap phone and get rid of my smartphone data plan?

Hi!  I'm new to the smartphone world and have absolutly let it get out of hand.   My bill is about $100 a month and I am not prepared to keep paying that.  I have an HTC Aria at the moment.  I'm completely paid and have not been late on a payment ever, but I want to get out of the whole smartphone world and go back to a plain basic phone with texting and calling abilties in order to lower my cell phone cost.

I am not up for an "upgrade" etc, until 12/2012.

So, can I buy a cheap old phone online and switch my sim card from my Aria to that?  How do I know if the sim card is "compatible"?   Do I need to call AT&T and let them know of this change or can I just change the features and plans online?

Thank You for your help!  Smiley Happy

Hi!  I'm new to the smartphone world and have absolutly let it get out of hand.   My bill is about $100 a month and I am not prepared to keep paying that.  I have an HTC Aria at the moment.  I'm completely paid and have not been late on a payment ever, but I want to get out of the whole smartphone world and go back to a plain basic phone with texting and calling abilties in order to lower my cell phone cost.

I am not up for an "upgrade" etc, until 12/2012.

So, can I buy a cheap old phone online and switch my sim card from my Aria to that?  How do I know if the sim card is "compatible"?   Do I need to call AT&T and let them know of this change or can I just change the features and plans online?

Thank You for your help!  Smiley Happy

Can I buy a cheap phone and get rid of my smartphone data plan?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 10:40:47 AM
(0)
Guru

Yes, you can. It's recommended to call AT&T so they can change the IMEI of your device, that way you and they will be able to remove your smartphone Data Plan without problems.

Just two reminders: 1. If you currently have the Unlimited Smartphone Data Plan and remove it you won't be able to add it again because it's already expired and 2. If you were to put again your SIM card to your HTC Aria after you already removed the Smartphone Data Plan and if AT&T detects it they will automatically add you a Smartphone Data Plan in your account again.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Yes, you can. It's recommended to call AT&T so they can change the IMEI of your device, that way you and they will be able to remove your smartphone Data Plan without problems.

Just two reminders: 1. If you currently have the Unlimited Smartphone Data Plan and remove it you won't be able to add it again because it's already expired and 2. If you were to put again your SIM card to your HTC Aria after you already removed the Smartphone Data Plan and if AT&T detects it they will automatically add you a Smartphone Data Plan in your account again.

Re: Can I buy a cheap phone and get rid of my smartphone data plan?

2 of 6 (2,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 12:45:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

I dont have the unlimited, just the $15 one but I typically go over that, that's why I want to cut it off completely and go for something cheaper. 

Also, as far as knowing if my sim card in my HTC Aria will work on another cheapie phone.....how do I know that?

I dont have the unlimited, just the $15 one but I typically go over that, that's why I want to cut it off completely and go for something cheaper. 

Also, as far as knowing if my sim card in my HTC Aria will work on another cheapie phone.....how do I know that?

3 of 6 (2,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 12:52:11 PM
(0)
Guru

All of the current AT&T phones can work with the same SIM card (except the iPhone 4 which uses a Micro SIM) so don't worry about it, it will work. Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

All of the current AT&T phones can work with the same SIM card (except the iPhone 4 which uses a Micro SIM) so don't worry about it, it will work. Smiley Happy

4 of 6 (2,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2011 7:22:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you'd like, you can sell your Aria and gain a little extra cash towards putting towards another non-smartphone if you don't already have one on hand. Who knows, you may actually be getting a little "bonus" from this "downgrade". So it's not all bad. Smiley Happy

As Virtual has stated, the switch from your Aria to a cheaper phone shall take place without any problems once you have removed the smartphone data plan.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

If you'd like, you can sell your Aria and gain a little extra cash towards putting towards another non-smartphone if you don't already have one on hand. Who knows, you may actually be getting a little "bonus" from this "downgrade". So it's not all bad. Smiley Happy

As Virtual has stated, the switch from your Aria to a cheaper phone shall take place without any problems once you have removed the smartphone data plan.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (2,289 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 3:35:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

How much data are you using? You do know you get charged another $15 for each additional 200mb block, for another $10 you could have 10x the data usage and keep your phone if it's in your budget.

How much data are you using? You do know you get charged another $15 for each additional 200mb block, for another $10 you could have 10x the data usage and keep your phone if it's in your budget.

6 of 6 (2,279 Views)