Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 10, 2008
9:55:44 AM
View profile
Can I bring and use Motorola Q Globa and/or BlackJack2 in...
Can I bring and use Motorola Q Globa and/or BlackJack2 in Japan (phone, mail, web)?  How is the battery life of those cells?  I am considering buying one of those and would apprecite some users' feedback.
Can I bring and use Motorola Q Globa and/or BlackJack2 in Japan (phone, mail, web)?  How is the battery life of those cells?  I am considering buying one of those and would apprecite some users' feedback.

Can I bring and use Motorola Q Globa and/or BlackJack2 in...

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2008 11:27:22 AM
(0)
Master
The Moto Q Global will not work as it does not have the required 2100mhz freq that is used in Japan.  The Blackjack II looks like it does have that frequency so it should be fine.  I don't know what the battery life is like.

Other Windows Mobile devices that will work in Japan are the ATT Tilt (I have this one and its great) and the Palm Treo 750.
The Moto Q Global will not work as it does not have the required 2100mhz freq that is used in Japan.  The Blackjack II looks like it does have that frequency so it should be fine.  I don't know what the battery life is like.

Other Windows Mobile devices that will work in Japan are the ATT Tilt (I have this one and its great) and the Palm Treo 750.

Re: Can I bring and use Motorola Q Globa and/or BlackJack2 in...

2 of 13 (4,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2008 8:15:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 11, 2008 at 8:17:30 AM
The Blackjack 2 does in fact work in Japan.

AT&T now sells several 3G 2100HMz devices, like the NEW Blackjack™ II, Treo 750, the AT&T 8525 and the Sierra PC card for travel worldwide, including Japan and South Korea

From webpage:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp?WT.svl=title
(click the link that says "Traveling to Japan or South Korea?")

Seems like a nice small form factor and price point compared to the Tilt (although not as powerful of a CPU, not as much memory, and no touch screen) and Treo 750.  Back when the Tilt was released, I was considering waiting for the BJ2, but ended op opting for the Tilt.

There seems to be some complaints about battery life, but that seems to be true with any 3G enabled phone.  Read this thread:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=samsung&message.id=45978&query.id=13152#M4...

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-11-2008 08:17:30 AM
The Blackjack 2 does in fact work in Japan.

AT&T now sells several 3G 2100HMz devices, like the NEW Blackjack™ II, Treo 750, the AT&T 8525 and the Sierra PC card for travel worldwide, including Japan and South Korea

From webpage:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp?WT.svl=title
(click the link that says "Traveling to Japan or South Korea?")

Seems like a nice small form factor and price point compared to the Tilt (although not as powerful of a CPU, not as much memory, and no touch screen) and Treo 750.  Back when the Tilt was released, I was considering waiting for the BJ2, but ended op opting for the Tilt.

There seems to be some complaints about battery life, but that seems to be true with any 3G enabled phone.  Read this thread:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=samsung&message.id=45978&query.id=13152#M45978

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-11-2008 08:17:30 AM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 13 (4,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2008 11:07:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you both for the information.

It seems that there isn't perfect cellular phone yet..
Moto Q Global doesn't have roaming function in Japan...
BJ2 has short battery life even though I can use it in Japan...
Tilt...  I am now using side slide PocketPC cellular of Verizon but am not happy using it because it is not easy to call by one hand...

Being said, so far, BJ2 is slightly better than the Moto Q or Tilt...

It is unfortunate that Moto Q Global cannot be used in Japan even though the name is Global...

Moto Q Global doesn't have roaming function in Japan...
BJ2 has short battery life even though I can use it in Japan...
Tilt...  I am now using side slide PocketPC cellular of Verizon but am not happy using it because it is not easy to call by one hand...

Being said, so far, BJ2 is slightly better than the Moto Q or Tilt...

It is unfortunate that Moto Q Global cannot be used in Japan even though the name is Global...

4 of 13 (4,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2008 11:02:58 AM
(0)
Tutor
It seems that Treo 750 doesn't have 2100 hz and why can we use it in Japan?  According to the first thread, it is necessary band in Japan.
If I can use Moto Q GLOBAL in Japan, this has longer battery life and seems my desirable smart phone.
I am using Verizon smartphone (looks similar to Tilt) and battery dies so fast probably because it is checking mail server pretty often.
Availability in Japan and longer battery life are my main points in choosing phone.  Which one would you recommend?

It seems that Treo 750 doesn't have 2100 hz and why can we use it in Japan?  According to the first thread, it is necessary band in Japan.
If I can use Moto Q GLOBAL in Japan, this has longer battery life and seems my desirable smart phone.
I am using Verizon smartphone (looks similar to Tilt) and battery dies so fast probably because it is checking mail server pretty often.
Availability in Japan and longer battery life are my main points in choosing phone.  Which one would you recommend?

5 of 13 (4,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2008 12:00:32 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Jan 12, 2008 at 12:01:20 PM

nobsk wrote:

You need to go back and re-read the specifications on the Palm Treo 750 .. It DOES say it has the 2100mhz freq needed.  And thats why the Moto Q Global will NOT work.

Its a Tri-Band UMTS phone.  And one of those frequencies is 2100.  You just have to do some research.

Radio
GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA radio
GSM bands: 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS bands: 850/1900/2100

Modes GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900
WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

Message Edited by Planet-Ed on 01-12-2008 01:01:20 PM

nobsk wrote:

You need to go back and re-read the specifications on the Palm Treo 750 .. It DOES say it has the 2100mhz freq needed.  And thats why the Moto Q Global will NOT work.

Its a Tri-Band UMTS phone.  And one of those frequencies is 2100.  You just have to do some research.

Radio
GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA radio
GSM bands: 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS bands: 850/1900/2100

Modes GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900
WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

Message Edited by Planet-Ed on 01-12-2008 01:01:20 PM

[ Edited ]
6 of 13 (4,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2008 6:04:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you so much:-).  I totally understood that Treo 750 also HAS 2100 band.

Comparing the talk time, I would most likely buy BJ2, but should I buy any other accessaries to take it to Japan and use?  Just apply for international roaming contract.  How should I do it?  Just before going there?  Only when I need it??

Thank you so much:-).  I totally understood that Treo 750 also HAS 2100 band.

Comparing the talk time, I would most likely buy BJ2, but should I buy any other accessaries to take it to Japan and use?  Just apply for international roaming contract.  How should I do it?  Just before going there?  Only when I need it??

7 of 13 (4,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2008 11:23:29 AM
(0)
Master
You will want to take a charger that works in Japan which I do believe is the same ones we use here in the US so you should be fine.  Take a short USB charge/sync cable that you can charge your phone from a computer in a pinch.  A spare battery if you plan to use the GPS a bit.  And a nice case.

You can also look into something like this.  Its a little pricey but well worth it if you travel a lot.  It allows you to charge from an outlet, cigarette lighter, airline seat outlet and has the plug adapters for different countries.

For the international roaming you will need to contact ATT before you leave.  I would do it at least a week or two out so you can check you account online to verify its been added.  If it hasn't it gives you time to work with them.  Also take the number with you for international support just in case you run into problems (it happens).  If you do have service and have problems you can call from your cell and its a free call.  However if you cell phone is not working you will have to call from a landline.  If you tell them you are on a landline and give them the number they will call you right back so you don't have to keep paying the long distance fees.

Contact International Customer Care
  • Activation: 1-800-331-0500
  • Troubleshooting: 1-800-335-4685 or, when calling from overseas, +1-916-843-4685

You will want to take a charger that works in Japan which I do believe is the same ones we use here in the US so you should be fine.  Take a short USB charge/sync cable that you can charge your phone from a computer in a pinch.  A spare battery if you plan to use the GPS a bit.  And a nice case.

You can also look into something like this.  Its a little pricey but well worth it if you travel a lot.  It allows you to charge from an outlet, cigarette lighter, airline seat outlet and has the plug adapters for different countries.

For the international roaming you will need to contact ATT before you leave.  I would do it at least a week or two out so you can check you account online to verify its been added.  If it hasn't it gives you time to work with them.  Also take the number with you for international support just in case you run into problems (it happens).  If you do have service and have problems you can call from your cell and its a free call.  However if you cell phone is not working you will have to call from a landline.  If you tell them you are on a landline and give them the number they will call you right back so you don't have to keep paying the long distance fees.

Contact International Customer Care
  • Activation: 1-800-331-0500
  • Troubleshooting: 1-800-335-4685 or, when calling from overseas, +1-916-843-4685

8 of 13 (4,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2008 6:09:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you so much.  I bought a BJ2 today.
The reception and speaker are very satisfying!!
I will contact to AT&T for roaming since I will be traveling to Japan in the middle of Feb.

Thank you so much.  I bought a BJ2 today.
The reception and speaker are very satisfying!!
I will contact to AT&T for roaming since I will be traveling to Japan in the middle of Feb.

9 of 13 (4,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2008 9:30:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
I bought BJ2 and was satisfied with the features etc.  However, I cannot read Japanese e-mail or web and our IT guys are struggling with it.  Is there any way I can read and/or write Japanese?  Any language package or software??
I bought BJ2 and was satisfied with the features etc.  However, I cannot read Japanese e-mail or web and our IT guys are struggling with it.  Is there any way I can read and/or write Japanese?  Any language package or software??

10 of 13 (4,396 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2008 9:36:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Can't help you with the Japanese email/web question, sorry.

But in regards to the charger, the US phone charger will definitely work in Japan.  I know from experience (with the Tilt).  It may take a bit longer to charge, due to lower voltage they use there, but its not a big deal.

Also, absolutely keep the non-800 customer service number (in the reply above) handy when you travel.  I activated International Roaming, but could not connect to the network there due to a problem on AT&T's end.  Something about having the roaming codes entered in their system, but the "daughter" codes were not present.  I called customer service and they were able to fix it right up (they just had to deactivate Int. Roaming and reactivate it).

Good luck and happy travels.
Can't help you with the Japanese email/web question, sorry.

But in regards to the charger, the US phone charger will definitely work in Japan.  I know from experience (with the Tilt).  It may take a bit longer to charge, due to lower voltage they use there, but its not a big deal.

Also, absolutely keep the non-800 customer service number (in the reply above) handy when you travel.  I activated International Roaming, but could not connect to the network there due to a problem on AT&T's end.  Something about having the roaming codes entered in their system, but the "daughter" codes were not present.  I called customer service and they were able to fix it right up (they just had to deactivate Int. Roaming and reactivate it).

Good luck and happy travels.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 13 (1,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2008 1:09:01 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you for your info.  I believe (hope!) Samsung provide language package somehow since their home country is Korea.
I really need to read Japanese e-mails on work and have to set up e-mail account where I can read Japanese...  Should I exchange to another phone??

Thank you for your info.  I believe (hope!) Samsung provide language package somehow since their home country is Korea.
I really need to read Japanese e-mails on work and have to set up e-mail account where I can read Japanese...  Should I exchange to another phone??

12 of 13 (1,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2008 9:56:30 PM
(0)
Guru

nobsk wrote:

Treo 750
SE k850i
Nokia N95

Now I know the latter two are not sold by ATT, but the cell phone that covers all current frequencies is now out there by many manufacturers.

nobsk wrote:

Treo 750
SE k850i
Nokia N95

Now I know the latter two are not sold by ATT, but the cell phone that covers all current frequencies is now out there by many manufacturers.

13 of 13 (1,894 Views)