Helpful Links

Can I block the internet on a samsung strive?

Contributor

Can I block the internet on a samsung strive?

I just upgrade to a Samsung Strive, but I keep accidently going to the web browser. Is there a way to block the internet (I'm a cheapo with no data plan and want to stay that way). My old phone would ask for a password before it logged on. I really hope this one does.

Anyone know? TIA!

Message 1 of 9
Mentor

Re: Can I block the internet on a samsung strive?

Just make sure you have absolutely no data plan or feature.  You probably have a pay per use feature enabled for data.  As long as you have zero data plans or features, you shouldn't be able to connect to the web even if you do accidentally open the browser.  You can check your service features online or call Customer Service to make sure they remove anything that would charge you for data.

Message 2 of 9

While you can place a data block (as opposed to pay per use data) on the line, that will also block multimedia messages.  Text messages would still work if you use them.

If you still want to use MMS, there might be a way to do it.  I've seen other posts here that recommend creating a new browser profile that has invalid settings (like an access point of 0.0.0.0).  If it can be done for this phone, this article shows where to find the settings.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9
Master

champoux wrote:

Just make sure you have absolutely no data plan or feature.  You probably have a pay per use feature enabled for data.  As long as you have zero data plans or features, you shouldn't be able to connect to the web even if you do accidentally open the browser.  You can check your service features online or call Customer Service to make sure they remove anything that would charge you for data.

No, you have to request data block on the account in order to disable data on your account. Data Pay Per Use is always on by default. There is no way to remove it other than request data block. But data block also blocks MMS as reported above.

Message 4 of 9
Mentor

Thanks for the correction.

Message 5 of 9

I wanted to know this too since I don't have a data plan either.  I just use my phone as a phone and to send/receive texts which sometimes includes picture messages.  Turns out, there's nothing that can be done unless you want to cut off picture messages as well.

So, to not have a data plan, I pay 2.00 a month for all the "oops" internet connections.   I hit the hang up button immediately but it doesn't matter, it's too late.  The split second you hit any command that requires the internet, you get hit with the 2.00 for the month (up to 1 mg).  

Message 6 of 9

You could also try finding the wap settings...should be in a browser setup some where. I think most still are something like wap.cingular.com...at any rate, if it allows, change this to something that won't work...like wap.nowhere.com ...so long as it is not a valid link, it will "die"...I could be wrong, but if its not asking an AT&T server for data...then it won't be billable.

Message 7 of 9
Master

The setting is called APN (Access Point Name). For AT&T phones, it will be wap.cingular. If you can change it, you will disable the data connection.

Message 8 of 9

But does changing the apn settings also block MMS?

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support