Can I add a line at the ATT store If I am an authorized account manager?

Can I add a line at the ATT store If I am an authorized account manager?

Hello, If I am an authorized account manager does the account holder need to come to the ATT store with me so that I can add a line?  Or will they just call her to make sure everything is ok?

Message 1 of 10
Guru

Re: Can I add a line at the ATT store If I am an authorized account manager?

It depends on the store. If you are listed as a Authorized User you shouldn't need the account holder present. However some stores dont care that you are a authorized user and still require the account holder to be present.

Message 2 of 10

So it could go either way?  I guess I can just call the store and ask eh? lol

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Master

When I got my first iPhone back about 2 years ago, I was an authorized user on my account (in my wife's name because her corp discount wa sbetter than mine).  She was in the store, but they never asked to see her or talk to her.  I did need the last 4 of her SSN, and the biling zip code, but with that, I was allowed to add the line and new phone by myself.  When I got my last upgrade to an iPhone 4, she wasn't even in the store with me but I did this on at an Apple store rather than at an AT&T store.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
Professor

You should not be allowed to add a line without the accound holder present. Why? A credit check is performed. Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 10
Former Employee

Technically only the primary account holder can add a line. Authorized user can do a lot of things with the account, adding a new line of service is not one of them. It is possible though, but has to be approved by the manager or customer service, basically the accost holder can call the CC and ask to notate the account that it is OK for an authorized user to add a line, there is no policy however to back this up but I have seen it happening in the past.

Message 6 of 10
Professor

I would not if I was a store rep.

Why? If one was sneaky enough, they could just call customer care with the info they already know, claim your the account holder and your son, husband, whatever is going into the store to add a line. Then that same person goes into the store and adds a line.

May seem unlikely, but then this is the same country where people go though other people's trash for financial info...

Message 7 of 10

I just don't understand why the account holder needs to be there when I can call 611 over the phone and add a line there with no problems at all.  I would just rather go into the store so I can take my iPhone 4 home with me instead of waiting for it to be shipped.

Message 8 of 10
Professor

Because they cannot prove it is/is not the account holder over the phone. But since your at a store, they can verify you.

The same reason they dont ask for to see your ID when you call in, they cant see it! But when your at the store, they are going to confirm that your the account holder.

If it was your account, I'm sure you would want the store to check before running your credit, wouldnt you?

Message 9 of 10

Yes I would, but you are helpless then if someone were to call customer support.   If someone had ill intentions I highly doubt they would go into a store rather than stay anonymous over a phone.

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support