Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 16, 2011
4:49:17 PM
Can I Cancel My Iphone PreOrder and Buy From an ATT Store?

On Friday, October 7, I preordered two Iphone 4s and received email confirmation with order number at 9:35 AM PDT. On Monday my online order status showed unavailable. I called several CC numbers numerous times over the course of 4 days, many hours, countless disconnects and hours on hold; and was always told my order was fine, the systems were either behind, phone orders did not appear, or “not sure why your status does not appear.”  

Each time I was told my order was fine and the phones would be delivered Friday, October 14, but I was concerned that my status was always unavailable. On October 13 I called yet another number and was told I had not yet completed my Terms and Conditions. I completed them for both orders - again. My order status then appeared with an order date of October 13. My order status is In Progress/Backordered. I have no idea now when the phone will arrive. My local ATT store has these phones in stock. How do I cancel my preorder so I can get the phones from a local ATT store? if that is not possible, how do I go about canceling my order altogether? 

I have searched the ATT forums and other forums and cannot find anything from ATT to address this. It would seem there is no policy and my options depend on who I talk to, when, and the fates. 

On Friday, October 7, I preordered two Iphone 4s and received email confirmation with order number at 9:35 AM PDT. On Monday my online order status showed unavailable. I called several CC numbers numerous times over the course of 4 days, many hours, countless disconnects and hours on hold; and was always told my order was fine, the systems were either behind, phone orders did not appear, or “not sure why your status does not appear.”  

Each time I was told my order was fine and the phones would be delivered Friday, October 14, but I was concerned that my status was always unavailable. On October 13 I called yet another number and was told I had not yet completed my Terms and Conditions. I completed them for both orders - again. My order status then appeared with an order date of October 13. My order status is In Progress/Backordered. I have no idea now when the phone will arrive. My local ATT store has these phones in stock. How do I cancel my preorder so I can get the phones from a local ATT store? if that is not possible, how do I go about canceling my order altogether? 

I have searched the ATT forums and other forums and cannot find anything from ATT to address this. It would seem there is no policy and my options depend on who I talk to, when, and the fates. 

Can I Cancel My Iphone PreOrder and Buy From an ATT Store?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 5:00:58 PM
(0)
Former Employee

I don't know if that's a good idea. By now stores should be pretty much sold out.

I don't know if that's a good idea. By now stores should be pretty much sold out.

Re: Can I Cancel My Iphone PreOrder and Buy From an ATT Store?

2 of 9 (3,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 5:13:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply!! My local store has stock, or they did 30 minutes ago. 

Thank you for the quick reply!! My local store has stock, or they did 30 minutes ago. 

3 of 9 (3,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 5:57:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

So, what did you do then? i have the similar issue as well, i want to cancel my pre-ordered, and just get it from the store instead, but one of the ATT store i went to said they cant do that for me, so i need some advice on this, thanks

So, what did you do then? i have the similar issue as well, i want to cancel my pre-ordered, and just get it from the store instead, but one of the ATT store i went to said they cant do that for me, so i need some advice on this, thanks

4 of 9 (3,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 7:02:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had the same exact issue.
What i did was call apple, cancel my preorder and the upgrade eligibily was reverted instantly, literally i refreshed the upgrade page on my computer and it changed to eligible!

So i went to my local radio shack which was the only store that still had stock and got my iphone 4 s that im using to type this btw

I love this phone !
I had the same exact issue.
What i did was call apple, cancel my preorder and the upgrade eligibily was reverted instantly, literally i refreshed the upgrade page on my computer and it changed to eligible!

So i went to my local radio shack which was the only store that still had stock and got my iphone 4 s that im using to type this btw

I love this phone !

5 of 9 (3,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 7:22:07 PM
(0)
Mentor
It's gonna be a pain to cancel it, but it can be done. Make sure you'll be able to get your phone at a store and you'll be fine.

I cancelled yesterday and bought my new phone at an AT&T store this morning.

Good luck.
It's gonna be a pain to cancel it, but it can be done. Make sure you'll be able to get your phone at a store and you'll be fine.

I cancelled yesterday and bought my new phone at an AT&T store this morning.

Good luck.

6 of 9 (3,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 8:31:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's been my experience too. I hoped mabye someone from ATT would share their actual policy on this question. I am done calling CC, waiting on hold for hours, just to be told something different each time I try. I think the CCs and staff are overwhelmed, stressed, frustrated and, in some cases anyway, have less information than do we customers. Calling again may or may not yield the desired result, but it will be a long and frustrating process. It appears there is no actual policy around canceling a preorder. Maybe ATT will add that to their post launch lessons learned reviews.

I still have my current phone. My new phone will arrive eventually. I am letting it go. 

ATT might improve current preorder customer safisfaction and ATT staff morale (And reduce call volume) by setting some sort of expectation and posting that across their site pages, and texting it to those with backordered phones. Not sure they can add specifics to the order status page, but they could add something there too that addresses the recurring question of why is my phone backordered and when might it arrive. Something similar to the statement they had up for days stating phones preordered would be available on the 14th, only realistic. Smiley Happy

That's been my experience too. I hoped mabye someone from ATT would share their actual policy on this question. I am done calling CC, waiting on hold for hours, just to be told something different each time I try. I think the CCs and staff are overwhelmed, stressed, frustrated and, in some cases anyway, have less information than do we customers. Calling again may or may not yield the desired result, but it will be a long and frustrating process. It appears there is no actual policy around canceling a preorder. Maybe ATT will add that to their post launch lessons learned reviews.

I still have my current phone. My new phone will arrive eventually. I am letting it go. 

ATT might improve current preorder customer safisfaction and ATT staff morale (And reduce call volume) by setting some sort of expectation and posting that across their site pages, and texting it to those with backordered phones. Not sure they can add specifics to the order status page, but they could add something there too that addresses the recurring question of why is my phone backordered and when might it arrive. Something similar to the statement they had up for days stating phones preordered would be available on the 14th, only realistic. Smiley Happy

7 of 9 (3,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 8:45:34 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by graphite07 on Oct 16, 2011 at 8:53:37 PM

PhoneBadger wrote:

check the apple store that's where i got my 4S saturday morning. but i would not cancel the preorder becuase your local AT&T might be out of stock. tomorrow is monday a fresh week maybe AT&T got a lot ready for ship out tomorrow. or have a shipment come  in and clear out a lot of the backorders.  we all seen this show before about preorders and back orders and orders not shipping. just have a little faith....your order will show up.. out of the millions that did a preorder.

i hit the apple store saturday i got one.

PhoneBadger wrote:

check the apple store that's where i got my 4S saturday morning. but i would not cancel the preorder becuase your local AT&T might be out of stock. tomorrow is monday a fresh week maybe AT&T got a lot ready for ship out tomorrow. or have a shipment come  in and clear out a lot of the backorders.  we all seen this show before about preorders and back orders and orders not shipping. just have a little faith....your order will show up.. out of the millions that did a preorder.

i hit the apple store saturday i got one.

hello!!!

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (3,058 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 7:26:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

I preordered a 4S about Tuesday of next week, which was showing backordered and 21-28 days delivery last Friday.  So I went into my local AT&T store and they happily cancelled my preorder and sold me a phone from stock. Then on Saturday, AT&T shipped my preorder, which is arriving today - guess the cancellation didn't take.  Now I have to return the preorder and wait for a credit.

Guess I should have been a little more patient.

I preordered a 4S about Tuesday of next week, which was showing backordered and 21-28 days delivery last Friday.  So I went into my local AT&T store and they happily cancelled my preorder and sold me a phone from stock. Then on Saturday, AT&T shipped my preorder, which is arriving today - guess the cancellation didn't take.  Now I have to return the preorder and wait for a credit.

Guess I should have been a little more patient.

9 of 9 (2,949 Views)