Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 2, 2008
1:30:53 AM
View profile
Can I BLOCK TEXT MESSAGING
I had a website to go to to block text messaging, but lost it! Can anyone provide me with the web address to block text messages completly.  I have a GO Phone(pre-paid) and am TIRED of getting charged for spam text messages!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
I had a website to go to to block text messaging, but lost it! Can anyone provide me with the web address to block text messages completly.  I have a GO Phone(pre-paid) and am TIRED of getting charged for spam text messages!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Can I BLOCK TEXT MESSAGING

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2008 4:16:03 AM
(0)
Master

kevink7500 wrote:

The only thing I can think of is this:

By going to www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences' on the right, AT&T customers can now setup and manage their PC-to-Mobile messaging preferences (PC2M). Once registered, customers can create an alias, block incoming messages, manage email delivery controls and setup block/allow lists.

Message Preferences manages PC-to-Mobile user preferences and not Mobile-to-Mobile messaging. It helps customers fight against unsolicited messages and other forms of spam. If you have a question, feel free to ask in our Messaging forum or place a call to Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless handset).

*Taken from Sentry: Click Here

kevink7500 wrote:

The only thing I can think of is this:

By going to www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences' on the right, AT&T customers can now setup and manage their PC-to-Mobile messaging preferences (PC2M). Once registered, customers can create an alias, block incoming messages, manage email delivery controls and setup block/allow lists.

Message Preferences manages PC-to-Mobile user preferences and not Mobile-to-Mobile messaging. It helps customers fight against unsolicited messages and other forms of spam. If you have a question, feel free to ask in our Messaging forum or place a call to Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless handset).

*Taken from Sentry: Click Here

Re: Can I BLOCK TEXT MESSAGING

2 of 19 (193,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2008 7:49:48 AM
(0)
Contributor
www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences'

How can I get to "Messaging Preferences" when I've already logged into my account?

The problem I'm having is that when I use the link above and click "messaging preferences", I'm asked for my mobile # and password.  When I enter them, I get an error message.  Yet when I go to attwireless.com and enter the same info after clicking "My Account", I can get to my account.  It seems the log in for the above link is not pulling from the same database as the log in under my account. 

I NEED to disable receiving text messages from PCs since I get at least three spam texts every night at 1:00 am!!!!!   And I'm tired of it.  These are not sites I've ever logged on to so there is no way to stop it my going to the site.  And some of them don't even have sites, they just have email addresses that seem to be fake.  They are all messages for cheap drugs from Canada.  Nothing I've ever ordered or even considered in my life.

I'm extremely frustrated!!!!!!!!!

www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences'

How can I get to "Messaging Preferences" when I've already logged into my account?

The problem I'm having is that when I use the link above and click "messaging preferences", I'm asked for my mobile # and password.  When I enter them, I get an error message.  Yet when I go to attwireless.com and enter the same info after clicking "My Account", I can get to my account.  It seems the log in for the above link is not pulling from the same database as the log in under my account. 

I NEED to disable receiving text messages from PCs since I get at least three spam texts every night at 1:00 am!!!!!   And I'm tired of it.  These are not sites I've ever logged on to so there is no way to stop it my going to the site.  And some of them don't even have sites, they just have email addresses that seem to be fake.  They are all messages for cheap drugs from Canada.  Nothing I've ever ordered or even considered in my life.

I'm extremely frustrated!!!!!!!!!

3 of 19 (193,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2009 3:16:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
I had the same problem and then I realized you have to register separately for messaging.  I tried to log in with my AT&T login info and it didn't work.  Then I registered and verified my account.  Of course I then had to wait to login because all the failed logins locked my account so I still haven't been able access it so make sure you register first.
I had the same problem and then I realized you have to register separately for messaging.  I tried to log in with my AT&T login info and it didn't work.  Then I registered and verified my account.  Of course I then had to wait to login because all the failed logins locked my account so I still haven't been able access it so make sure you register first.

4 of 19 (188,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2009 10:36:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by IanSee on Jun 21, 2009 at 1:02:01 PM
The text I most want to block comes from "Free AT&T" - a neverending stream of drivel about cool things I can get and by the way, in case I don't own a calendar, I should know that I can go online and look at my bill. I have all marketing preferences set off. I used to get some of this garbage on my email and some via text, but changed the email to none@noplace.com and now get all of it via text... AT&T seems smart enough to know that my email doesn't work, but too stupid (or likely indifferent) to realize I just don't want this {word filter evasion}
Message Edited by IanSee on 06-21-2009 04:02:01 PM
The text I most want to block comes from "Free AT&T" - a neverending stream of drivel about cool things I can get and by the way, in case I don't own a calendar, I should know that I can go online and look at my bill. I have all marketing preferences set off. I used to get some of this garbage on my email and some via text, but changed the email to none@noplace.com and now get all of it via text... AT&T seems smart enough to know that my email doesn't work, but too stupid (or likely indifferent) to realize I just don't want this {word filter evasion}
Message Edited by IanSee on 06-21-2009 04:02:01 PM

[ Edited ]
5 of 19 (186,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2010 2:24:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have registered, been sent two different passwords, neither of which work. My daughter needs to block a number completely. She does not want text or phone calls from this person. We cannot afford 4.99 per month to block them...isn't there some other way? Why can't it be as easy as it is with a landline? She has a Samsung Flight...can't it be done right from the phone?  Thanks for your help

I have registered, been sent two different passwords, neither of which work. My daughter needs to block a number completely. She does not want text or phone calls from this person. We cannot afford 4.99 per month to block them...isn't there some other way? Why can't it be as easy as it is with a landline? She has a Samsung Flight...can't it be done right from the phone?  Thanks for your help

6 of 19 (149,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 3:00:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

You can also block particular types of txt messages. 

Below is info about blocking anonymous txt sent by email through ATT.net portal

The reps on the phone tell you over and over that there is no way to block txt without the "caller Blocker" package for $xx per month.  This is not true!!!!

AT&T has a secret site for filtering out anonymous txt via a computer.  It also will just turn on AT&T port for computer (email to txt) to txt.   This can block much of the spam which AT&T makes money from.

I am getting emails sent via txt SMS to my phone that were 10 txt messages long ($2 each)
It was an "anonymous sender from the 1(410) 000-xxx number which AT&T creates at the email to phone webpage portal.  This was an advisement linking to the apple store page.  Of course AT&T and apple denied sending these ... Yet it took three hours of phone calls and complaining to get this "free feature" of blocking the portal.

The site for this... which has no links on your AT&T page ... which you have to re-register at .. is
http://mymessages.wireless.att.com

They also allow an alias to be assigned instead or in addition to the attcellphonenumber@txt.att.net email address.
So you can have a private johndoe@txt.att.net email address which receives email on your phone as txt.

There are various email filters too.

What a scam we have to do all this to not get charged ...how many millions of dollars are stolen from people with out time to notice or deal with this! How lame is it to charge for receiving much of anything.... USPS is not so bad!

You can also block particular types of txt messages. 

Below is info about blocking anonymous txt sent by email through ATT.net portal

The reps on the phone tell you over and over that there is no way to block txt without the "caller Blocker" package for $xx per month.  This is not true!!!!

AT&T has a secret site for filtering out anonymous txt via a computer.  It also will just turn on AT&T port for computer (email to txt) to txt.   This can block much of the spam which AT&T makes money from.

I am getting emails sent via txt SMS to my phone that were 10 txt messages long ($2 each)
It was an "anonymous sender from the 1(410) 000-xxx number which AT&T creates at the email to phone webpage portal.  This was an advisement linking to the apple store page.  Of course AT&T and apple denied sending these ... Yet it took three hours of phone calls and complaining to get this "free feature" of blocking the portal.

The site for this... which has no links on your AT&T page ... which you have to re-register at .. is
http://mymessages.wireless.att.com

They also allow an alias to be assigned instead or in addition to the attcellphonenumber@txt.att.net email address.
So you can have a private johndoe@txt.att.net email address which receives email on your phone as txt.

There are various email filters too.

What a scam we have to do all this to not get charged ...how many millions of dollars are stolen from people with out time to notice or deal with this! How lame is it to charge for receiving much of anything.... USPS is not so bad!

7 of 19 (149,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 8:05:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by dralezero on Dec 9, 2010 at 8:09:02 PM

I've done it twice. I called ATT and told them to block TXTs. They did it without hassle and I tested it by sending one from another service. Then maybe a year later I received a random spam text and their website had changed some options too. Probably some mix up in service when they changed things. So I called them to block it. Easy. Then I added a $5 month txt plan, then upgraded to a $10 plan online. I used it for a few months with someone I needed to txt with. Then when that was overwith I called and asked them to block it again. No problem.

My contract is over, I've had it for years. So I'm just paying monthly. I'm thinking about going to pay as you go since I hardly talk much. I came here hoping to find out if I will be able to get them to block txt on the pay as you go plan.

I've done it twice. I called ATT and told them to block TXTs. They did it without hassle and I tested it by sending one from another service. Then maybe a year later I received a random spam text and their website had changed some options too. Probably some mix up in service when they changed things. So I called them to block it. Easy. Then I added a $5 month txt plan, then upgraded to a $10 plan online. I used it for a few months with someone I needed to txt with. Then when that was overwith I called and asked them to block it again. No problem.

My contract is over, I've had it for years. So I'm just paying monthly. I'm thinking about going to pay as you go since I hardly talk much. I came here hoping to find out if I will be able to get them to block txt on the pay as you go plan.

[ Edited ]
8 of 19 (145,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 11:07:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am getting spammed from a wireless number. It's the same message each time and they are all from the (949) 463-xxxx exchange but with a different number for each message.  I pay for each text message I get and this makes me furious!  I need to be able to block from this exchange. I don't know anybody there so I won't be missing anything.  The messaging site only allows blocking of emails sent as texts and not full wireless texts.  

Does anyone know about any services or competitors to AT&T where I can get text messages but have more flexibility to block spam? I have an iPhone so I am limited to AT&T (for a little while at least).

I am getting spammed from a wireless number. It's the same message each time and they are all from the (949) 463-xxxx exchange but with a different number for each message.  I pay for each text message I get and this makes me furious!  I need to be able to block from this exchange. I don't know anybody there so I won't be missing anything.  The messaging site only allows blocking of emails sent as texts and not full wireless texts.  

Does anyone know about any services or competitors to AT&T where I can get text messages but have more flexibility to block spam? I have an iPhone so I am limited to AT&T (for a little while at least).

9 of 19 (145,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 2:55:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can get some satisfaction at least.  AT&T has a way to report the spam text: forward it to 7726 as described here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/support_static_files/KB/svc/documents/1220912515172.Anti-spam%20FAQ%2008...

They respond with "ATT FREE MSG" so I hope the whole message thread is free.

I can get some satisfaction at least.  AT&T has a way to report the spam text: forward it to 7726 as described here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/support_static_files/KB/svc/documents/1220912515172.Anti-spam%20FAQ%20080707%20Consumer.pdf

They respond with "ATT FREE MSG" so I hope the whole message thread is free.

10 of 19 (145,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 2:39:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

The only thing u can do is try save money per moth and u shod be OK keep it block or have her get new number and she have be careful who she gives to that shod stop her problem

The only thing u can do is try save money per moth and u shod be OK keep it block or have her get new number and she have be careful who she gives to that shod stop her problem

11 of 19 (60,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 12:49:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

I've just spent close to 30 min. with the rep working on that problem - thankfully on a speaker while doing something else too.  Anyway, turns out that the  messaging.att..... site is brain-dead as far as passwords are concerned  - it curtails the password to 8 chars long SILENTLY.  No wonder you couldn't log in afterwards

I don't know if its brain-dead in other respects as well, but the rep has confirmed that my preference to block the text messages sent as email has been registered.  We'll see how that will work.

She also said that telemarketing spam should be cut off by registering your mobile number with www.donotcall.gov.  Again, we'll see how that works, but I've registered all my numbers there too.

Hi,

I've just spent close to 30 min. with the rep working on that problem - thankfully on a speaker while doing something else too.  Anyway, turns out that the  messaging.att..... site is brain-dead as far as passwords are concerned  - it curtails the password to 8 chars long SILENTLY.  No wonder you couldn't log in afterwards

I don't know if its brain-dead in other respects as well, but the rep has confirmed that my preference to block the text messages sent as email has been registered.  We'll see how that will work.

She also said that telemarketing spam should be cut off by registering your mobile number with www.donotcall.gov.  Again, we'll see how that works, but I've registered all my numbers there too.

12 of 19 (59,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2011 5:42:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

Really stupid! I had the same issue, then figured out that I had to re-register for the messaging area, got registered, then was not allowed to login, because of "too many login failures". :-/

Really stupid! I had the same issue, then figured out that I had to re-register for the messaging area, got registered, then was not allowed to login, because of "too many login failures". :-/

13 of 19 (58,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2011 3:32:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same problem as yours. But thanks to a friend wj\ho have helped me solved it.

I have the same problem as yours. But thanks to a friend wj\ho have helped me solved it.

14 of 19 (57,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 8:07:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

What country do you live in that a text message is $2?!?!?! That's crazy right there.  Text messaging is in unlimited packages in the majority of iPhone and BB packages, and only 50 cents max for overseas travel so if you are seriously paying $2 per text you need to figure out how! Seems like you have a bigger problem.  As far as AT&T and Apple sending you SPAM texts, sorry, you lost your credibility right there with that statement.  Ludicrous - and honestly you sound like you have some issues to deal with.

What country do you live in that a text message is $2?!?!?! That's crazy right there.  Text messaging is in unlimited packages in the majority of iPhone and BB packages, and only 50 cents max for overseas travel so if you are seriously paying $2 per text you need to figure out how! Seems like you have a bigger problem.  As far as AT&T and Apple sending you SPAM texts, sorry, you lost your credibility right there with that statement.  Ludicrous - and honestly you sound like you have some issues to deal with.

15 of 19 (56,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 8:34:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

urgh, this has happened to me several times.  Today most recently and I was charged $9.99 even though I didn't respond to their text.  First text said to sign up, reply "xyz" (or whatever) or to cancel reply "stop" ... I didn't reply at all and then about a minute later I got a text that says I was successfully signed up for $9.99/mo.  

Anyhow, if that happens call 611 and ask for them to (1) sign you up for parental controls; that means there will be a purchase blocker so you cannot subscribe.

To block individual people: http://mymessages.wireless.att.com/do/mail/settings/sendersControl 

urgh, this has happened to me several times.  Today most recently and I was charged $9.99 even though I didn't respond to their text.  First text said to sign up, reply "xyz" (or whatever) or to cancel reply "stop" ... I didn't reply at all and then about a minute later I got a text that says I was successfully signed up for $9.99/mo.  

Anyhow, if that happens call 611 and ask for them to (1) sign you up for parental controls; that means there will be a purchase blocker so you cannot subscribe.

To block individual people: http://mymessages.wireless.att.com/do/mail/settings/sendersControl 

16 of 19 (56,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2012 11:07:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:10:22 AM

I would like to completly turn off texting.  I never send one and ignore any sent to me. 

[Please keep it courteous]

I would like to completly turn off texting.  I never send one and ignore any sent to me. 

[Please keep it courteous]

[ Edited ]
17 of 19 (53,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2012 10:26:35 PM
(0)
Guru

I did the same thing. They just called it a purchase block, and they told me it was a free service (not the add-on Smart Limits).

rbrice1981 wrote:

I did the same thing. They just called it a purchase block, and they told me it was a free service (not the add-on Smart Limits).

rbrice1981 wrote:

18 of 19 (53,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 8:14:20 AM
(0)
Contributor
Call this # and ask 1-800-331-0500.
Call this # and ask 1-800-331-0500.

19 of 19 (53,604 Views)