Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 24, 2009
8:47:39 AM
View profile
Can AT&T throttle my 3G speeds on my iphone?

I recently got a youtube acct. on my iphone and I have been subscribing to a ton of videos and watching them on my iphone over 3G. But after  watching a lot of videos I noticed my speeds are much lower than they usually were both at home/work. So I don't think its the network and this was during off-peak hours when I usually get 1.4Mbps now im getting 500kbps consistently, like its suppose to be at that speed.

I hope that's not what they are doing because if im paying for unlimited data, I expect unlimited data. But who knows maybe its a coincidence that during off-peak hours last night and today this morning 2miles apart im getting identical speeds of 500Kbps when I used to get 1.4Mbps.

I recently got a youtube acct. on my iphone and I have been subscribing to a ton of videos and watching them on my iphone over 3G. But after  watching a lot of videos I noticed my speeds are much lower than they usually were both at home/work. So I don't think its the network and this was during off-peak hours when I usually get 1.4Mbps now im getting 500kbps consistently, like its suppose to be at that speed.

I hope that's not what they are doing because if im paying for unlimited data, I expect unlimited data. But who knows maybe its a coincidence that during off-peak hours last night and today this morning 2miles apart im getting identical speeds of 500Kbps when I used to get 1.4Mbps.

Can AT&T throttle my 3G speeds on my iphone?

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 9:46:02 AM
(0)
Scholar
They do not "throttle back" connection speeds on individual acconts, but they do cap your monthly data usage @ 5gb.   Over that amount you may get a warning letter, or be terminated as a customer.
They do not "throttle back" connection speeds on individual acconts, but they do cap your monthly data usage @ 5gb.   Over that amount you may get a warning letter, or be terminated as a customer.

Re: Can AT&T throttle my 3G speeds on my iphone?

2 of 16 (695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 10:15:31 AM
(0)
Professor
The 5 GB limit for data is only for tethering (using your phone as a modem), the regular phone data plans are unlimited.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
The 5 GB limit for data is only for tethering (using your phone as a modem), the regular phone data plans are unlimited.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

3 of 16 (695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 10:21:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
Ae you certain of that?   Has something changed?

4 of 16 (691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 10:22:22 AM
(0)
Master

Network load will play a big part in your speeds. 

I do love the conspiracy theorists who belive everyone thottles their speed.  The ones causing this most of the time is your neighbors and their use.

As stated before, the iPhone is unlimited data within their network.  NO 5GB caps.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Network load will play a big part in your speeds. 

I do love the conspiracy theorists who belive everyone thottles their speed.  The ones causing this most of the time is your neighbors and their use.

As stated before, the iPhone is unlimited data within their network.  NO 5GB caps.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 16 (691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 10:23:09 AM
(0)
Master

PDCPDC1957 wrote:
The 5GB limits apply to tethering and aircards.  The iPhone does not have a 5GB cap.

PDCPDC1957 wrote:
The 5GB limits apply to tethering and aircards.  The iPhone does not have a 5GB cap.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 16 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 10:41:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
Thanks!   I learned something today!   ;-)
Thanks!   I learned something today!   ;-)

7 of 16 (686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 11:09:54 AM
(0)
Master

PDCPDC1957 wrote:
Thanks!   I learned something today! 

Your Welcome.  We all do around here......

PDCPDC1957 wrote:
Thanks!   I learned something today! 

Your Welcome.  We all do around here......

8 of 16 (681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 2:27:11 PM
(0)
Professor
A lot of factors could be happening and a lot of them are out of AT&T's control. Weather, hubs, and users in your area are to name a few.
A lot of factors could be happening and a lot of them are out of AT&T's control. Weather, hubs, and users in your area are to name a few.

9 of 16 (670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 4:59:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Doppler808 wrote:
thanks everyone!

I know many factors could come into place, but I found it rather weird that last night I started getting slow speeds, than this morning at work 2miles away I was getting the exact same speeds, when I usually get twice the speed. 
 I used over 500MB of data last night alone, so I thought that maybe they thought that was excessive for one night. 

Doppler808 wrote:
thanks everyone!

I know many factors could come into place, but I found it rather weird that last night I started getting slow speeds, than this morning at work 2miles away I was getting the exact same speeds, when I usually get twice the speed. 
 I used over 500MB of data last night alone, so I thought that maybe they thought that was excessive for one night. 

10 of 16 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 11:05:02 PM
(0)
Master

Have you restarted the phone recently?  Like any other device, the iPhone has memory caches that can fill up.  Occasionally, GSM devices should also be reset to re-register and re-connect you to the network.

enmanuel wrote:

Have you restarted the phone recently?  Like any other device, the iPhone has memory caches that can fill up.  Occasionally, GSM devices should also be reset to re-register and re-connect you to the network.

enmanuel wrote:

11 of 16 (364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 2:49:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

In Flagstaff, AZ, I have a similar experience.  My phone will hold a full-scale 3G signal for hours.  I will use it for two YouTube videos, then suddenly the service cuts back to two bars and Edge.  If I then turn on WiFi, the full-scale 3G signal comes back.  If I shut WiFi off, I get another two videos, then back to Edge.  This was my experience on a 3G and now my 3Gs.  AT&T must be throttling the signal because the symptoms are exactly the same regardless of the tower I use or the time of day or night.  I've learned to live with it.

In Flagstaff, AZ, I have a similar experience.  My phone will hold a full-scale 3G signal for hours.  I will use it for two YouTube videos, then suddenly the service cuts back to two bars and Edge.  If I then turn on WiFi, the full-scale 3G signal comes back.  If I shut WiFi off, I get another two videos, then back to Edge.  This was my experience on a 3G and now my 3Gs.  AT&T must be throttling the signal because the symptoms are exactly the same regardless of the tower I use or the time of day or night.  I've learned to live with it.

12 of 16 (351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 3:17:49 PM
(0)
Professor
I have never had this problem at all and I am not a light user at all. I don't think they do at all. I can pull 500-1GB on my days off my speed never slows down.
I have never had this problem at all and I am not a light user at all. I don't think they do at all. I can pull 500-1GB on my days off my speed never slows down.

13 of 16 (349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 10:06:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

Doppler808 wrote:
i guess its just coincidence, who knows.

Doppler808 wrote:
i guess its just coincidence, who knows.

14 of 16 (342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 10:28:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
AT&T turned up 3G in Flagstaff about a month after the iPhone 3G came out, and the conditions that I wrote about have been consistent ever since.  The pattern is way too consistent and repeatable to be coincidence, in my opinion.  If I had to show proof that held up to scientific scrutiny, I could do it every time.  When I asked their engineers about it, they just chuckled, then the old neither confirm nor deny speech.
AT&T turned up 3G in Flagstaff about a month after the iPhone 3G came out, and the conditions that I wrote about have been consistent ever since.  The pattern is way too consistent and repeatable to be coincidence, in my opinion.  If I had to show proof that held up to scientific scrutiny, I could do it every time.  When I asked their engineers about it, they just chuckled, then the old neither confirm nor deny speech.

15 of 16 (336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2009 10:36:42 PM
(0)
Professor
Sounds like someone from the military. I have had to use that line a lot talking to family.
Sounds like someone from the military. I have had to use that line a lot talking to family.

16 of 16 (333 Views)