Calling Another Cell Phone in Europe

Tutor

Calling Another Cell Phone in Europe

My wife and I will be in Europe next month, and each of us will have our cell phone.  If we need to call each other, how must we dial?  Do we need to add the +1, or do we need to add the l;ocal country prefix?
Message 1 of 4 (2,479 Views)
Guru

Re: Calling Another Cell Phone in Europe

No need for anything extra just area code and number, same goes for calling back home in US... Make sure you add international roaming.
Message 2 of 4 (2,467 Views)
Contributor

ipk316 wrote:
No need for anything extra just area code and number, same goes for calling back home in US... Make sure you add international roaming.

This response seems to be contrary to what AT&T says about dialing +1 before calling back to the US from another country.  I am in a similar situation with a travel partner who has AT&T wireless service.  Do I understand correctly that all I need to do is dial his area code and then his number with nothing additional required? 
Message 3 of 4 (2,371 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

If you are in Europe, you need to dial "+1."  If you are in some Caribbean countries (members of the North American Numbering Plan), you can dial just "1."  Rather than engaging in this esoterica, however, it is easier to just dial "+1" when outside the U.S.  It works everywhere (even inside the US).  
Message 4 of 4 (2,343 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.