Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 18, 2011
11:21:52 PM
View profile
Caller on Other End Knows When I Get An Alert

Pretty straightforward problem here that I just can't figure out how to fix... btw this is for a 3GS.

Anyway, if I'm on the line with somebody and happen to receive an email, text message, or other call in the middle of the current call, the person I'm speaking with can hear it.

This happens even if I have the phone on vibrate. It's particularly disturbing when I am speaking to clients and they know that I'm getting blown up with other texts and calls when I'm supposed to be giving the client my full and undivided attention. It's even worse when I'm on the phone with my woman and she questions every time I get another call or text... "Oh, who's calling you?"

I hope there is some simple fix for this. Anyway, I don't want the person I'm talking with on the phone to be able to know when I get other messages or calls.

Pretty straightforward problem here that I just can't figure out how to fix... btw this is for a 3GS.

Anyway, if I'm on the line with somebody and happen to receive an email, text message, or other call in the middle of the current call, the person I'm speaking with can hear it.

This happens even if I have the phone on vibrate. It's particularly disturbing when I am speaking to clients and they know that I'm getting blown up with other texts and calls when I'm supposed to be giving the client my full and undivided attention. It's even worse when I'm on the phone with my woman and she questions every time I get another call or text... "Oh, who's calling you?"

I hope there is some simple fix for this. Anyway, I don't want the person I'm talking with on the phone to be able to know when I get other messages or calls.

Caller on Other End Knows When I Get An Alert

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 7:00:50 AM
(0)
Professor

The only way you could do that would be to turn off all notifications.  Even on vibrate, some noise is made and the phone would pick up on it.  The only other way Apple could fix this is to temporarily mute the phone for notifications, and that would be worse.

The only way you could do that would be to turn off all notifications.  Even on vibrate, some noise is made and the phone would pick up on it.  The only other way Apple could fix this is to temporarily mute the phone for notifications, and that would be worse.

Re: Caller on Other End Knows When I Get An Alert

2 of 6 (367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 12:30:15 PM
(0)
Professor
What they're hearing is that notification alert being picked up from the speaker through the earpiece. Now, if there were a way to make the sound so low that only the user could hear it through the earpiece, that would solve the problem. But the notification alert sound is loud enough that it can easily be picked up through the earpiece as it is.
What they're hearing is that notification alert being picked up from the speaker through the earpiece. Now, if there were a way to make the sound so low that only the user could hear it through the earpiece, that would solve the problem. But the notification alert sound is loud enough that it can easily be picked up through the earpiece as it is.

3 of 6 (335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 5:55:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well thank you very much. I was thinking I had explored all the options on the phone to solve the problem... but I don't know if I would be willing to turn off all notifications. Guess I'll just have to send a friendly suggestion Apple's way and see if iPhone 5 has a fix.

Well thank you very much. I was thinking I had explored all the options on the phone to solve the problem... but I don't know if I would be willing to turn off all notifications. Guess I'll just have to send a friendly suggestion Apple's way and see if iPhone 5 has a fix.

4 of 6 (303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2011 1:56:31 AM
(0)
Employee
most phones will do this. i've had plenty of phones over the years and most people hear alerts from the person they are talking to
most phones will do this. i've had plenty of phones over the years and most people hear alerts from the person they are talking to
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (252 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2011 3:46:59 AM
(0)
Professor
Yeah, most phones will "pick up" sound transmitted like alerts, etc, to a degree. But the iPhone's mic is so sensitive, and the alert sound so loud, that you and your party have to figure out whether it was your alert or theirs. It's almost indistinguishable.

I've been on the phone with another iPhone user when one of their alerts sounded and it sounded to me exactly as mine does. I literally thought I had a call/text/notification when it was on their side.
Yeah, most phones will "pick up" sound transmitted like alerts, etc, to a degree. But the iPhone's mic is so sensitive, and the alert sound so loud, that you and your party have to figure out whether it was your alert or theirs. It's almost indistinguishable.

I've been on the phone with another iPhone user when one of their alerts sounded and it sounded to me exactly as mine does. I literally thought I had a call/text/notification when it was on their side.

6 of 6 (246 Views)