Caller ID @ wits end

Contributor

Caller ID @ wits end

Ok,

I got an iphone maybe a month and a half ago, the number I got was apparently someones elses before mine because whenever i call a landline the name comes up as this other person....fine....no problem call tech support and have them fix it right? wrong...I have called AT&T at Least 5 times..... everytime they have assured me that THIS time it's fixed and wait 2 -48 hrs for the change to take effect....nothing....still other guys name on any landline i call. SO they finally convince me it's Comcasts fault for not "pulling" my info from AT&T's database, so .....ok I call Comcast at least another 5 calls and assurences that everything is right on their end ....Now all tech support wants to do is tell me it's the other guys fault and they have no answers....   honestly?  can it be this hard? Does ANYONE have any idea what the hells going on with these people?   do I just need to get a new number?  I'm losing business because of this.....clients dont pick up thier phones becasue they don't recognize the name, I LOVE my iphone but I'm about to lose it here.

Message 1 of 7
Scholar

Re: Caller ID @ wits end

After the 1st 3 calls I would have said to heck with customer service and showed up at the store. You might be better off traveling to the closest AT&T corporate store and camping out at the counter until a clerk fixes the problem for you. Just don't arrive an hour before they close.
Message Edited by V.B. on 05-12-2009 06:19:30 PM
Message 2 of 7
Master

Yes you can request a new number but you shouldn't have to go that far (hopefully).  Have you tried calling anyone on a landline other than a Comcast landline user?  That would tell you if its an AT&T problem or a Comcasst problem.

If you call someone that has a landline that is not on Comcast (they have a different landline carrier) and the name shows yours then its a Comcast problem.

If you call any landline no matter the landline carrier (AT&T, Qwest, Bellsouth etc etc) and it shows the wrong name then its an AT&T issue.

Then you'll have better proof when you call whomever to have it fixed.

Message 3 of 7
Scholar

Easy to find where the problem is.

1. Call at&t tech support and have them fix your caller id.

2. The change is instant on at&t landlines, so call an at&t landline number to verify it was changed correctly. If it still shows wrong, then they didn't do it right.

The waiting process of up to 72 hours is so other landline companies can update their caller id database. Landline carriers must pay to update their info, so they don't do it very often. Comcast, Cox and Verizon are the worst at doing this. The gov't minimum is twice per year - so it's possible Comcast may not update theirs for a while. I hope this clears things up a little.

Message Edited by Glomag on 05-15-2009 11:44:12 AM
Message 4 of 7
Expert

Tech Junkie wrote:

Easy to find where the problem is.

1. Call at&t tech support and have them fix your caller id.
  2. The change is instant on at&t landlines, so call an at&t landline number to verify it was changed correctly. If it still shows wrong, then they didn't do it right.
     The waiting process of up to 72 hours is so other landline companies can update their caller id database. Landline carriers must pay to update their info, so they don't do it very often. Comcast, Cox and Verizon are the worst at doing this. The gov't minimum is twice per year - so it's possible Comcast may not update theirs for a while. I hope this clears things up a little.

1. Not all phone numbers are compatible with the updating of caller ID.
  2. As for the AT&T landline numbers updating right away, that wont happen unless AT&T and AT&TM share the same C-Nam database, which i cant see them doing.
Also can you provide a link to an official site confirming the requirement for the carriers to update their caller ID system a minimum of 2 times a year (or more or less).
Message Edited by Glomag on 05-15-2009 11:44:55 AM
Message 5 of 7
Contributor

So,

I too was at my witts end constantly being batted back & forth between Comcast & AT&T... AT&T saying that they'd verified the caller ID was correct... Comcast saying they could do nothing and that the issue was at the other end...

The ANSWER!!!

1. Call TARGUSinfo (the number on this site https://webapp2.targusinfo.com/Support/Contact.aspx)

2. verify the current caller ID

3. tell them what you want the caller ID to say

4. wait a few hours & it's fixed

They are the 3rd party that maintain the databases for a few of the cable providers... I did the above & 12 hours later the whole thing was working like a dream & I was relieved that I wouldn't have to talk to anyone at Comcast ever again!!!

Message 6 of 7
Contributor

If you lost business due to their incompetence and it was well documented - you should sue them for damages.
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support