Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Call log and text messages disappear!

Tutor

Call log and text messages disappear!

Hi, I purchased my Blackberry Pear in May 2008.  About a month ago, my call log disappeared and the log would only list new calls for a few seconds.  I went into options then call logging and selected "all calls".  Never had to do this before.  So now there is a call log, BUT the calls are also recorded with text messages and emails - very annoying.  A couple days ago, the call log disappeared again AND all text and MMS messages disappeared.  I went to options again, but "all calls" was still selected.  I made a call and sent several text messages - none were recorded in the logs.  I also was not receiving text messages.  Then the phone told me I had a missed call, but there was no log of it.  I turned the phone off and removed the battery.  Rebooted and it seems to be working again, but the calls are still being logged with the text messages, which wasn't happening for the first several months I had the phone.  I have also had several instances lately where I will be receiving a call, I hit the green button to answer the call, and the call is not answered but goes to voice mail.  It has happened several times, so I am very careful about which buttons I am pushing. 

I called tech support and they are sending me a refurbished phone as a replacement.  I am a little leery that this "new" phone will end up having the same issues.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone know what is going on or how to fix it??

Message 1 of 15
Tutor

I'm sure you all are smart enough to figure this out.....but I meant that I have a Blackberry Pearl.  Not Pear.  Smiley Happy I also want to clarify the dropped call going to VM thing.  When I hit the green button, the screen comes up showing that the call is connected.  I put the phone to my ear and start talking, but when the other party does not respond I look at the screen again and it is back to the home screen.  A few seconds later I will be notified that I have a voice mail.  It's all very strange.
Message 2 of 15
Contributor

At this very moment I am changing over to a replacement phone ATT just sent me.  I have had the same exact issues.  I am sure we are not the only 2 people with these phones with these issues.
Message 3 of 15

There is actually nothing wrong with your device.  The Blackberry Curve and Pearl family of phones  are programmed to delete all your messages and call logs when the available memory drops below 500 or 800kb depending on the device.  I recommend that you make sure your phonebook isn't too large, and that you clean your messages out regularly.  Also make certain that any pictures/graphics or ringtones that you have on your phone are stored on a Memory Card (MicroSD, up to 2GB).  this will ensure that enough device memory remains available to stop the phone deleting your call logs on its own.

Message Edited by Caretaker on 01-09-2009 08:29:29 AM
Message 4 of 15
Professor

@davidrachlin wrote:

There is actually nothing wrong with your device.  The Blackberry Curve and Pearl family of phones  are programmed to delete all your messages and call logs when the available memory drops below 500 or 800kb depending on the device.  I recommend that you make sure your phonebook isn't too large, and that you clean your messages out regularly.  Also make certain that any pictures/graphics or ringtones that you have on your phone are stored on a Memory Card (MicroSD, up to 2GB).  this will ensure that enough device memory remains available to stop the phone deleting your call logs on its own.

Message Edited by Caretaker on 01-09-2009 08:29:29 AM

Just an FYI, the latest OS supports up to 16GB

Message 5 of 15

Also the latest OS 4.5 for Pearl and Curve supports MMS without having a BlackBerry Plan.
Message 6 of 15
Tutor

Ok thanks. Maybe that is it, but it shouldn't be.  I do have a microSD card and that is where all of my pics and music are stored.  And I have the call log and messages set to delete after a couple of weeks - so that shouldn't be the problem.  I don't text message very much.  Our family plan is 550 minutes a month and we never even use that.  And I am always under 200 texts a month.  I am no where close to the limit on my address book either - maybe 40 contacts at the most.
Message Edited by td7298 on 01-09-2009 09:00:18 AM
Message 7 of 15

I suggest that you try removing the battery from your phone, and taking out the memory card.  then put the battery back and boot up the phone without the MicroSD card in.  Then check the available memory (instructions are in the device tutorials) and see how much you have left.  I think it will show you that there's not too much there.  Then you can see if anything is stored on the phone that should be on the card, and move it over.  Also you should definately upgrade to the latest OS 4.5.  It may help your phone work with the memory card better, and also make certain that the memory card is the default storage for your camera.
Message 8 of 15
Contributor

I HAVE THE SOLUTION! I have tried all these remedies above and none of them worked, it was fine for a while and then happened again!

The trick is to not have programs open. Press and hold down ALT and the "back" button (curved arrow) and appears a whole list of programs you have open. The red button may hide a program, but it doesn't actually close it. Whereas backspace does close it. Go through and close all these programs, and in future make sure you never leave them open - as this uses up a great deal of memory and the phone deletes things to free up some space.

Seriously, tried this a couple of months ago and it hasn't happened since. Brilliant! You've got to try it! Forget all this take sim out, battery out advice ... none of them work long-term!

Let me know!! Frizz

Message 9 of 15
Professor

@davidrachlin wrote:

There is actually nothing wrong with your device.  The Blackberry Curve and Pearl family of phones  are programmed to delete all your messages and call logs when the available memory drops below 500 or 800kb depending on the device.

All BB's do this -- not just the Curve and Pearl.

@td7298 wrote:
Ok thanks. Maybe that is it, but it shouldn't be.  I do have a microSD card and that is where all of my pics and music are stored.  And I have the call log and messages set to delete after a couple of weeks - so that shouldn't be the problem.  I don't text message very much.  Our family plan is 550 minutes a month and we never even use that.  And I am always under 200 texts a month.  I am no where close to the limit on my address book either - maybe 40 contacts at the most.

What's your File Free (Options->Status)?

@frizzobananas wrote:

I HAVE THE SOLUTION! I have tried all these remedies above and none of them worked, it was fine for a while and then happened again!

The trick is to not have programs open.

The problem with your solution as a catch-all is that it's just one possible cause of many for a lack of free device memory.  Open apps can use available space but they shouldn't consume all of your free device memory unless you're very low to begin with.  The most common cause is media files (pictures, music, video, ringtones) stored in device memory.  The next most common cause is a memory leak in an app or the OS.  In any case, the actual cause needs to be tracked down and dealt with.

If a battery pull frees up a significant amount of device memory it's likely that a memory leak or open apps is to blame.

Message Edited by takeshi on 01-28-2009 07:31:39 AM
Message 10 of 15
Tutor

Thanks for all of the advice.  I will keep all this in mind for the future.  I have been using the "new" phone ATT sent me for a couple weeks now and it works so much better than my previous one.  The first one had lots of problems with freezing up also - and that started the very first day I had it.  This one has not frozen up once and everything works as it should.  My "file free" is 20,489,769 bytes.  I had figured out with the old one that unless you close a program it will stay open behind the scenes.  So I make sure to close everything when finished.  Thanks again!  Hopefully this new phone fixed the problem.
Message 11 of 15
Contributor

Where is the ALT key?
Message 12 of 15

On a Blackberry Pearl the ALT key is the bottom left hand corner.. it's got like an up and down arrow together on it.

On a Blackberry Curve series phone, the ALT key is immediately to the left of the 7/Z key.  It's Black on top, and silver on the bottom, with the word ALT in tiny silver letter in the black part of the key.

Message 13 of 15
Tutor

Hi,

Actually, that is a common problem with Blackberry Phones, that calllogs/Emails/Sent Items or some stuff are getting deleted from your Blackberry Device.

With that being said, kindly refer to these links for help:

• Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted on the BlackBerry smartphone

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14213&slic...

How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14320

To sum it up, your have to have atleast 12MB or 12000000bytes of File free on your device to have it work properly, kindly save you contacts to your SIM card and your media to your Memory card. Sometimes, we might think that we have enough memory on our phones, but as we check, what we thought might me wrong. 

Hope these links help you out.

Good Luck

Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Tutor

Glad to hear that...

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support