Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 18, 2010
9:17:54 AM
View profile
CALL FAILED
Ok, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Any attempts at outgoing calls: CALL FAILED. Second attempt, hit or miss. 3rd attempt usually works. Incoming is the same. Somebody calls and no ring... Rolls to voicemail. 2nd attempt usually works.
Ok, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Any attempts at outgoing calls: CALL FAILED. Second attempt, hit or miss. 3rd attempt usually works. Incoming is the same. Somebody calls and no ring... Rolls to voicemail. 2nd attempt usually works.

CALL FAILED

51 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 11:34:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got my Microcell yesterday, I was so excited to get this and now I am having failed call attempts as well. It failed 3 times trying to make a call and then my iphone 4 seemed to lose connection to the microcell. Once it came back I was able to make a call. Whats the point in paying 150 for a device that is suppossed to fix these issues.

I just got my Microcell yesterday, I was so excited to get this and now I am having failed call attempts as well. It failed 3 times trying to make a call and then my iphone 4 seemed to lose connection to the microcell. Once it came back I was able to make a call. Whats the point in paying 150 for a device that is suppossed to fix these issues.

Re: CALL FAILED

31 of 52 (3,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 12:24:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by itguy30 on Nov 30, 2010 at 12:45:15 PM

Well first of all, I love My Microcell. it has worked for me with no problems until now. but everything in this world will always have a problem. the point is either deal with the problem and solve it or stop complaining dang. eveyone wants everything perfect will guess what Life isnt perfect!!! Sorry im back The microcell will have its bugs here and there. unplug it or do a reset and see if it starts working again. or Deactivate it and reactivate it. if that doesnt work then call. Like i said i Have NO PROBLEMS with mine except my girlsfriends blackberry bold has call fails but not me! so i am currently looking into it for her.

Edit: i just deactivated the microcell, unpluged it. went through the steps to activate it again and everything is working now!!!

Well first of all, I love My Microcell. it has worked for me with no problems until now. but everything in this world will always have a problem. the point is either deal with the problem and solve it or stop complaining dang. eveyone wants everything perfect will guess what Life isnt perfect!!! Sorry im back The microcell will have its bugs here and there. unplug it or do a reset and see if it starts working again. or Deactivate it and reactivate it. if that doesnt work then call. Like i said i Have NO PROBLEMS with mine except my girlsfriends blackberry bold has call fails but not me! so i am currently looking into it for her.

Edit: i just deactivated the microcell, unpluged it. went through the steps to activate it again and everything is working now!!!

[ Edited ]
32 of 52 (3,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 6:10:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Anyone experiencing this issue today, 12/10? I've had the MicrCell for over 6 months. The only issues I've had so far were fixed by rebooting the MicrCell and/or my internet router. But this morning I experienced the call failed issue. Called a clueless AT&T rep who was asking questions such as "what phone number did you call?", "how long have you had your MicrCell (shouldn't you have this info in your db?)".. Anyway, I tried rebooting everything but I still get call failed when using the MicrCell. Text message is fine. I have an iPhone 3gs.

Anyone experiencing this issue today, 12/10? I've had the MicrCell for over 6 months. The only issues I've had so far were fixed by rebooting the MicrCell and/or my internet router. But this morning I experienced the call failed issue. Called a clueless AT&T rep who was asking questions such as "what phone number did you call?", "how long have you had your MicrCell (shouldn't you have this info in your db?)".. Anyway, I tried rebooting everything but I still get call failed when using the MicrCell. Text message is fine. I have an iPhone 3gs.

33 of 52 (3,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 7:25:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

repinheiro wrote:

unregister the MC and re-register - that seems to help in this situation....

repinheiro wrote:

unregister the MC and re-register - that seems to help in this situation....

Nothin left to do but smile smile smile :)

34 of 52 (3,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 9:58:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am in Orange Co, CA. Same issue. Very frustrated with ATT. Ironically had them sell me uverse internet and when the tech came out to install, was unable to do so and found out that I am not in the area receiving uverse service. He is an ATT employee and told me he would NEVER have ATT wireless because of the poor quality. VERIZON will be getting 5 new customers as soon as my contract is up with ATT!!!!

I am in Orange Co, CA. Same issue. Very frustrated with ATT. Ironically had them sell me uverse internet and when the tech came out to install, was unable to do so and found out that I am not in the area receiving uverse service. He is an ATT employee and told me he would NEVER have ATT wireless because of the poor quality. VERIZON will be getting 5 new customers as soon as my contract is up with ATT!!!!

35 of 52 (2,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 5:40:11 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by justend on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:43:40 PM

Unfortunately, the past several weeks have been a bit ridiculous with the MicroCell.  When I go into the call history on my BlackBerry, I see that every call I make or receive while on the MicroCell fails just short of the fifteen minute mark, without fail.

It seems pretty obvious at this point that, for whatever reason, the MicroCell is not actually capable of doing what it was advertised to do in congested markets.  Whether this is an issue of design or execution (or both) doesn't really make a difference, since AT&T seems incapable (or unwilling) at this point of solving the problem one way or another.

One can only hope that the Verizon iPhone will relieve some of the demand on AT&T's overburdened network.  If not, I'm going to have to seriously consider other options come contract renewal time...

Unfortunately, the past several weeks have been a bit ridiculous with the MicroCell.  When I go into the call history on my BlackBerry, I see that every call I make or receive while on the MicroCell fails just short of the fifteen minute mark, without fail.

It seems pretty obvious at this point that, for whatever reason, the MicroCell is not actually capable of doing what it was advertised to do in congested markets.  Whether this is an issue of design or execution (or both) doesn't really make a difference, since AT&T seems incapable (or unwilling) at this point of solving the problem one way or another.

One can only hope that the Verizon iPhone will relieve some of the demand on AT&T's overburdened network.  If not, I'm going to have to seriously consider other options come contract renewal time...

Re: Call Failed

[ Edited ]
36 of 52 (2,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 11:45:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same issue Iphone 4. To fix, I setup QOS in my router. These are the ports numbers you will want to prioratize to high:

NTP Traffic-123/UDP

HTTPS over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic- 443/TCP

IPSec NAT Traversal for all signaling, data, and voice traffic- 4500/UDP

IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection, after which 4500/UDP is used- 500/UDP

Found the info on AnandTech's website.

I had the same issue Iphone 4. To fix, I setup QOS in my router. These are the ports numbers you will want to prioratize to high:

NTP Traffic-123/UDP

HTTPS over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic- 443/TCP

IPSec NAT Traversal for all signaling, data, and voice traffic- 4500/UDP

IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection, after which 4500/UDP is used- 500/UDP

Found the info on AnandTech's website.

37 of 52 (2,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 8:40:02 AM
(0)
Guru

Strictly speking, the NAT tunneling on port 4500 is really the only thing you need to prioritize. The HTTPS and ISAKMP (port 500) only happens at the very beginning, and the NTP is not critical.

It is often much easier to simply prioritize by either the physical Ethernet port on your router or the Microcell's MAC address. But if port numbers are your only option, then just do UDP port 4500. 

Strictly speking, the NAT tunneling on port 4500 is really the only thing you need to prioritize. The HTTPS and ISAKMP (port 500) only happens at the very beginning, and the NTP is not critical.

It is often much easier to simply prioritize by either the physical Ethernet port on your router or the Microcell's MAC address. But if port numbers are your only option, then just do UDP port 4500. 

38 of 52 (2,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 6:07:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

Can you give more user friendly directions about how to do this?

Can you give more user friendly directions about how to do this?

39 of 52 (2,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 10:47:25 AM
(0)
Guru

Not really; it's different on every router, and I don't have yours.

In any event, there's only one symptom that indicates that you have problems that QoS implementations will fix. That symptom is if other callers report hearing choppy audio from your end. That indicates that the outgoing packets are getting dropped and/or delayed. None of the other symptoms - and certainly not 'call failed' - can be adequately explained by uplink contention.

In any event, there's only one symptom that indicates that you have problems that QoS implementations will fix. That symptom is if other callers report hearing choppy audio from your end. That indicates that the outgoing packets are getting dropped and/or delayed. None of the other symptoms - and certainly not 'call failed' - can be adequately explained by uplink contention.

40 of 52 (2,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 3:14:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

nsayer wrote:

Agreed. They are most adequately explained by insufficient gateway capacity

nsayer wrote:

Agreed. They are most adequately explained by insufficient gateway capacity

41 of 52 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 10:12:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I get about 50% of my outgoing calls failing to connect. 

I drop calls that are connected.

And I get a lot of people telling me that my signal is broken up/ cutting in and out while I'm connected via M-Cell.

This thing really, really SUCKS.

ATT- FIX IT! 

I have a Sprint AirRave for my Fiance's phone and it works ALL THE TIME, and it NEVER DROPS Calls. So it's not me ATT.

It is YOU. Fix. It.

Jason

I get about 50% of my outgoing calls failing to connect. 

I drop calls that are connected.

And I get a lot of people telling me that my signal is broken up/ cutting in and out while I'm connected via M-Cell.

This thing really, really SUCKS.

ATT- FIX IT! 

I have a Sprint AirRave for my Fiance's phone and it works ALL THE TIME, and it NEVER DROPS Calls. So it's not me ATT.

It is YOU. Fix. It.

Jason

42 of 52 (2,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 9:23:47 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Broderik on Oct 15, 2011 at 9:27:13 PM

Just wanted to throw in my 2c.

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0

I also have a MicroCell, connected to an Airport Extreme router.

I've been able to reliably replicate an issue where the first call I try to place is failed, and if I try again immediately after it'll start working "perfectly".

If I reconnect to the MC or wait about 15-30 minutes, the issue crops up again.

I have a reserved IP address for the MC as well as port forwarding to it and default NAT host set to MC as well, but the issue persists. I don't know what kind of effect this has on incoming calls, but it seems to make initial texts to people take longer as well.

Edit: Pretty much just like the poster on page 3 here: http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/CALL-FAILED/m-p/2556233#M5062

I've been able to reliably replicate an issue where the first call I try to place is failed, and if I try again immediately after it'll start working "perfectly".

I have a reserved IP address for the MC as well as port forwarding to it and default NAT host set to MC as well, but the issue persists. I don't know what kind of effect this has on incoming calls, but it seems to make initial texts to people take longer as well.

Edit: Pretty much just like the poster on page 3 here: http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/CALL-FAILED/m-p/2556233#M5062

[ Edited ]
43 of 52 (2,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 11:56:17 AM
(0)
Scholar

Broderik wrote:

It has nothing to do with your network settings. If your microcell has successfully connected, you should be ok on your end.

It has to do with the gateway (a piece of equipment at AT&T that your microcell talks to) refusing to accept the incoming call because it doesn't have any capacity left, and the gateways are AT&T's problem, not yours.

Broderik wrote:

It has nothing to do with your network settings. If your microcell has successfully connected, you should be ok on your end.

It has to do with the gateway (a piece of equipment at AT&T that your microcell talks to) refusing to accept the incoming call because it doesn't have any capacity left, and the gateways are AT&T's problem, not yours.

44 of 52 (2,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2011 7:00:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cowleyrn on Oct 17, 2011 at 7:06:21 PM

Exact same thing here. My wife and I have iPhone 4 and 4s respectively and we joke about how ridiculous this is that it takes 3 tries to make a phone call with the microcell. Having bad reception is difficult, not being able to make outgoing calls on the device that we have placed on our internet service to fix this issue is just insulting. We have Verizon fios and a very strong internet connection. http://www.speedtest.net/result/1540857318.png

ATT PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE, IT'S REAL..

Exact same thing here. My wife and I have iPhone 4 and 4s respectively and we joke about how ridiculous this is that it takes 3 tries to make a phone call with the microcell. Having bad reception is difficult, not being able to make outgoing calls on the device that we have placed on our internet service to fix this issue is just insulting. We have Verizon fios and a very strong internet connection. http://www.speedtest.net/result/1540857318.png

ATT PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE, IT'S REAL..

[ Edited ]
45 of 52 (2,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 1:33:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have the same problem.  The first time I attempt to place an outgoing after an idle period, more often than not the first attempt

• fails almost immediately
  • takes several seconds and then fails after timing out
  • takes a really long time to connect -  I could manually dial the phone number on a land line and get connected 3 or 4 times in the time it takes to connect the call through the Microcell.

The second and subsequent calls almost always succeed.

This is a real issue, AT&T, if anyone is listening. 

I just bought an iPhone 4s through AT&T, hoping that the antenna improvements would eliminate the need for the Microcell.   But they haven't.  If I keep having trouble, I'll have to seriously consider returning the AT&T iPhone 4S and switching to Verizon which does work nicely in our house.

I have the same problem.  The first time I attempt to place an outgoing after an idle period, more often than not the first attempt

• fails almost immediately
  • takes several seconds and then fails after timing out
  • takes a really long time to connect -  I could manually dial the phone number on a land line and get connected 3 or 4 times in the time it takes to connect the call through the Microcell.

The second and subsequent calls almost always succeed.

This is a real issue, AT&T, if anyone is listening. 

I just bought an iPhone 4s through AT&T, hoping that the antenna improvements would eliminate the need for the Microcell.   But they haven't.  If I keep having trouble, I'll have to seriously consider returning the AT&T iPhone 4S and switching to Verizon which does work nicely in our house.

46 of 52 (2,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 8:24:20 PM
(0)
Professor

You may want to consider visiting Cisco forums since Cisco is the maker of the Microcell.

You may want to consider visiting Cisco forums since Cisco is the maker of the Microcell.

47 of 52 (2,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 4:39:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

I suggest all of you with this problem move over to the 19 page thread http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/Delay-when-placing-calls/td-p/2692837 which has been there for a very long time.  Title is Delay when placing calls.

Nate

I suggest all of you with this problem move over to the 19 page thread http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/Delay-when-placing-calls/td-p/2692837 which has been there for a very long time.  Title is Delay when placing calls.

Nate

48 of 52 (2,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 9:32:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
Up to 7 failed attempts, even with full bars and Microcell. Horrible service!
Up to 7 failed attempts, even with full bars and Microcell. Horrible service!

49 of 52 (1,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 1:28:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have full service bars never calls on first dial sometimes on second or third also don't receive calls. I will probably be dumping it soon

I have full service bars never calls on first dial sometimes on second or third also don't receive calls. I will probably be dumping it soon

50 of 52 (1,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 6:24:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'll add my voice. Haven't been able to dial out in eight weeks. Worked fine before that. Chatted with tech help. Restart modem, router, Microcell,, etc. No help.
I'll add my voice. Haven't been able to dial out in eight weeks. Worked fine before that. Chatted with tech help. Restart modem, router, Microcell,, etc. No help.

51 of 52 (1,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 2:00:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have been w AT&T when it was Cingular. I have unlimited data. Was going to change to sprint or Verizon Found out you cannot talk on the iPhone (Verizon and sprint) and be on the Internet at same time unless connected to wifi. So that is not unlimited data to me and a huge feature I use to look at a clients website while on the ph with them. HUGE PROBLEM. AT&t ! - dropped calls so bad that my clients ask me to call them when I arrive at a land line! At&t gives me a credit and in exchange I pay for this micro tower What was I thinking? Another piece of equipment to call tech support for. First clue. If I have to use my own wifi to support a tower to "save" my cell that was another mistake. This thing goes in and out. On micro, walk into garage 30 feet away. No micro and call failed in mid sentence. I am actually thinking of going to sprints unlimited data and leaving my iPhone (iPhone is only smart phone that Verizon and sprint do not allow you to talk and use data at same time unless connected to wifi) I too have called AT&T and begged for a solution. Supposedly this micro tower was the answer. AT&T NEEDS TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE BECAUSE IT'S UTTER FAIL TO CLAIM largest coverage when clearly your towers don't work. I am less than 3 blocks from a tower and this is still happening. Micro cell is great "WHEN" it actually works and I am not on ph w tech support trouble shooting it! 3 family members of my family plan expired. Not renewing. I may break my contract! I hate more than anything that at&t acts so clueless and surprised as if it's a first. Do they not read these forums?
I have been w AT&T when it was Cingular. I have unlimited data. Was going to change to sprint or Verizon Found out you cannot talk on the iPhone (Verizon and sprint) and be on the Internet at same time unless connected to wifi. So that is not unlimited data to me and a huge feature I use to look at a clients website while on the ph with them. HUGE PROBLEM. AT&t ! - dropped calls so bad that my clients ask me to call them when I arrive at a land line! At&t gives me a credit and in exchange I pay for this micro tower What was I thinking? Another piece of equipment to call tech support for. First clue. If I have to use my own wifi to support a tower to "save" my cell that was another mistake. This thing goes in and out. On micro, walk into garage 30 feet away. No micro and call failed in mid sentence. I am actually thinking of going to sprints unlimited data and leaving my iPhone (iPhone is only smart phone that Verizon and sprint do not allow you to talk and use data at same time unless connected to wifi) I too have called AT&T and begged for a solution. Supposedly this micro tower was the answer. AT&T NEEDS TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE BECAUSE IT'S UTTER FAIL TO CLAIM largest coverage when clearly your towers don't work. I am less than 3 blocks from a tower and this is still happening. Micro cell is great "WHEN" it actually works and I am not on ph w tech support trouble shooting it! 3 family members of my family plan expired. Not renewing. I may break my contract! I hate more than anything that at&t acts so clueless and surprised as if it's a first. Do they not read these forums?

52 of 52 (1,849 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments