CALL FAILED

Teacher

CALL FAILED

Ok, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Any attempts at outgoing calls: CALL FAILED. Second attempt, hit or miss. 3rd attempt usually works. Incoming is the same. Somebody calls and no ring... Rolls to voicemail. 2nd attempt usually works.
Message 1 of 52 (11,433 Views)
Explorer

Re: CALL FAILED

Move the microcell to the highest place possible.  Your signal will improve.

Message 16 of 52 (7,368 Views)
Contributor

I don't think it's the signal.  It's 5 bars when connected, but doesn't stay connected for long.

Message 17 of 52 (7,350 Views)

it seems as though this CALL FAILED fail mode has cropped up within the last month (october) or so.  I don't seem to recall seeing this before.

Message 18 of 52 (7,295 Views)

I did have a CALL FAILED signature last night 10.27.10. 

can't wait for the next SW and/or FW update!  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 52 (7,295 Views)
Tutor

My femto had been working as well as possible -- with the stuttering, with the occasional "call failed" -- untili two days ago.

Starting then, every outbound call fails -- either immediately, or after 30 seconds of trying, or after it seems to connect then drops immediately. ("Call ended" appears on the display).

Inbound calls do not arrive on any of the phones on the M-Cell.

Turning off the M-Cell gets us on the (weak) macrocell, which works as well as it can with the weak signal we have here.

Called AT&T, they have no idea about any extended outages, nor, in fact, any clue about any ongoing femto issues.

On the phone now with "second-level" support. "Everything looks fine, it should work."

And yet, it doesn't.

I want my $150 back. :-(

Message 20 of 52 (7,219 Views)
Scholar

mnc042 wrote:

My femto had been working as well as possible -- with the stuttering, with the occasional "call failed" -- untili two days ago.

Starting then, every outbound call fails -- either immediately, or after 30 seconds of trying, or after it seems to connect then drops immediately. ("Call ended" appears on the display).

Inbound calls do not arrive on any of the phones on the M-Cell.

Turning off the M-Cell gets us on the (weak) macrocell, which works as well as it can with the weak signal we have here.

Called AT&T, they have no idea about any extended outages, nor, in fact, any clue about any ongoing femto issues.

On the phone now with "second-level" support. "Everything looks fine, it should work."

And yet, it doesn't.

I want my $150 back. :-(

De-activate the cell - via the att account page then add it back in. Power it off, then back on. It should pull a new firmware when it comes back in and if youre lucky after 20 minutes or so you will ba back up and running and possibly with the fixed firmware Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 52 (7,399 Views)
Tutor

I'll try that. I had done this remedy before but not on this particular outage. Been so down on this femto that I have had all my diagnostic impulses beaten out of me. :-)

Just out of curiosity, is there an easy way to see the firmware revision and/or know if it got pushed, aside from it not failing anymore? :-)

\marc

Message 22 of 52 (7,394 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

mnc042 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is there an easy way to see the firmware revision and/or know if it got pushed, aside from it not failing anymore? :-)

\marc

Nope.  It's a common refrain from techno types that we'd like a user interface that would let us see firmware version, among other things.

Message 23 of 52 (7,381 Views)
Tutor

jefe wrote:Nope.  It's a common refrain from techno types that we'd like a user interface that would let us see firmware version, among other things.

True enough. Sure wish we could get some visibility into this puppy.

Anyway, your suggestion worked for me. Cell is back up, calls in/out are working normally. I'll have to see if this resolves the stutter issue and the occasional "Call Failed" issue, both of which plagued me pretty constantly so I'll know if this is an improvement in short order.

Thanks!

\marc

Message 24 of 52 (7,376 Views)
Guru

mnc042 wrote:

Nope. The only way is to observe the behavior of the unit. If you force your phone to use 3G for data (instead of WiFi) and do a speed test and observe more than 60 kbps of upload bandwidth, then for sure you have a more recent version, but there are (apparently) versions of the firmware that fix the problems without increasing the uplink bandwidth.

AT&T treats their customers like mushrooms: they keep us in the dark and feed us with excrement.

Message 25 of 52 (7,369 Views)
Tutor

nsayer wrote:

mnc042 wrote:

Nope. The only way is to observe the behavior of the unit. If you force your phone to use 3G for data (instead of WiFi) and do a speed test and observe more than 60 kbps of upload bandwidth, then for sure you have a more recent version, but there are (apparently) versions of the firmware that fix the problems without increasing the uplink bandwidth.

AT&T treats their customers like mushrooms: they keep us in the dark and feed us with excrement.

My speedtest came out at 569kbps / 49kbps. So I'm thinking I didn't get the bandwidth fix.

At least the phone works again. I sure hope the stutter and "call failed" problems are resolved soon, too. This sure has been anything but a smooth ride..

\marc

Message 26 of 52 (7,366 Views)
Scholar

mnc042 wrote:

My speedtest came out at 569kbps / 49kbps. So I'm thinking I didn't get the bandwidth fix.

At least the phone works again. I sure hope the stutter and "call failed" problems are resolved soon, too. This sure has been anything but a smooth ride..

\marc

I have the "fix" for upload - specifically MMS photos and it did not involve increasing the upload cap. I can reliable send photos - no matter the size. My upload sits around 56k.... Persoanlly I have no issue with this as this only effects MMS - if I am emailing or uploading a file to the web it uses my WiFi.

Message 27 of 52 (7,271 Views)
Contributor

Have you heard anything more on this front?

It's 11/7 and I'm still having the same call failed issue here in San Francisco.

thx

Dave

Message 28 of 52 (7,107 Views)
Contributor

I continually get  this issue. The only fix that seems to make things better is for me to disable "cellular data" and then calls don't fail.

I've been on with support 3 times and although they've offered solutions including the 'cellular data diable' workaround there is no acknowledgment there is actually a problem.

I wouldn't recommend this device to anyone.

Message 29 of 52 (6,864 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Every first attempt fails for outbound call fails. On occasion second attempt also fails. Have yet to experience a third failure.

What's crazy about this is can complete a call, then dial another number immediately; same failure sequence.

So the big giant electric pacifier ATT provided to stem the flow of dissatisfaction over their dismal cell reception is just another headache.

Did the de-register/re-register device steps to force firmware update. First call was to 611. Call failed-same behavior. ATT wont even acknowledge this problem, and "John" in the call center refers to this thread as "opinion". I don't know about the rest of you, but it appears to me we're all logging the same problem looking for help. 

Has anyone successfully resolved this? Been going on since first of October near as i can recall.

Message 30 of 52 (6,837 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.