Ask a question

Posted Oct 18, 2010
    9:17:54 AM
    View profile
    CALL FAILED
    Ok, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Any attempts at outgoing calls: CALL FAILED. Second attempt, hit or miss. 3rd attempt usually works. Incoming is the same. Somebody calls and no ring... Rolls to voicemail. 2nd attempt usually works.

CALL FAILED

51 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (51)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2010 9:46:46 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by nsayer on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:52:34 AM

Join the club. This is one of several annoyances that we suffer that AT&T refuses to acknowledge.

At this point, the only thing you can do is spread the word far and wide that AT&T is selling a defective product, that they refuse to acknowledge the problems or tell their customers what their plan (if any) is for fixing it. The more people do this, the better:

1. At some point the pressure on AT&T will force them to make some public response.

2. The more people say that it sucks, the more likely potential buyers will be saved from having to deal with this device's problems, at least without hearing what they're getting in for.

Re: CALL FAILED

[ Edited ]
    2 of 52 (10,386 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2010 10:41:36 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

jmatero wrote:
    Ok, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Any attempts at outgoing calls: CALL FAILED. Second attempt, hit or miss. 3rd attempt usually works. Incoming is the same. Somebody calls and no ring... Rolls to voicemail. 2nd attempt usually works.

Just out of curiosity..... are you on DSL??

Nothin left to do but smile smile smile :)

3 of 52 (10,372 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2010 12:13:59 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

same problem here in NJ. When on MCell no out going calls possible at all and no incoming calls either.  When someone calls me they get one ring then click click then rapid busy signal does not even go to VM.  All this since Friday AM.  Tech little help.  did all the usual, reboots and reset Iphones even removed then added new numbers still no go.

4 of 52 (10,348 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2010 1:24:09 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am experiencing the same problem.

I am in Connecticut. Both iPhone4's in the house are experiencing the same problem: full ATT M-Cell bars but whenever I try to place a call I get "Call Failed". Likewise I am unable to get incoming calls. 

I have charter for my internet (speedtest says 15Mbps down/1Mbps up), I am running my Microcell behind the router. The Microcell has been working very well (I was able to make/receive calls) for about 2 weeks and then stopped letting me place/receive calls. I have tried power cycling my Microcell but this has no effect.

5 of 52 (10,329 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 18, 2010 1:33:59 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

What did ATT say.  I am in the exact boat with 2 iphone 4s and 1 samsung. Keep at them.  I have called every day since Friday.

6 of 52 (10,320 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 19, 2010 8:03:18 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by empire29 on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:40:45 AM

wpdunn wrote:

What did ATT say.  I am in the exact boat with 2 iphone 4s and 1 samsung. Keep at them.  I have called every day since Friday.

Not much -- they suggested I disconnect and then re-active my Microcell (via the the ATT website) however the back end server that support Microcell activation/disconnect were down (and still are a day later) so ive been unable to test this out. ATT promised a call back when their Microcell activation/disconnect servers were operational.

UPDATE: I was able to disconnect/reactivate my Microcell and I can once again place/receive calls on my iPhone4. At the time of this update Microcell has been reactivated for 15 minutes or so, so I have no idea how long this solution would work. 

The most trouble part is its very difficult to know if you arent receiving calls without knowing someone is trying to call you. If it  does go down again I may not know I am experiencing service interruption until I try to place a call. very disappointing. 

[ Edited ]
    7 of 52 (10,251 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 19, 2010 10:39:09 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by wpdunn on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:47:28 AM

You are the best!  { Please keep it courteous }    They never suggested what you did and now I am BACK on line.  Thank you.  It has been since last Friday since I had Microcell connection.  Have a Greta day and I hope others can benefit form our messages.

Bill in NJ

[ Edited ]
    8 of 52 (10,229 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 6:48:14 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Same problem here.  Can not call out or recieve call in Boston, MA for the last 2 days.  Trying a cold reboot now.  If that does not work than I will try removing/adding the phone to the Microcell database.

9 of 52 (10,100 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 4:04:01 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Got this from Tech support at ATT.

"The Microcell WebTool has been having intermittent problems since the maintenance update on 10/17. As of 10/18 at 8:00am CDT OLAM/FOAM was back up and running.  However, as with any major IT release, OLAM/FOAM platform can be sometimes unstable.  This is because of the extent that changes can be tested in QA environment to mimic production. There seems to be a current issue with the middleware application performing the MyWireless authentication, causing intermittent issues with FOAM. IT has a Red Hat period to stabilize the applications and it could take up to a week.

Customers might have problems logging into the Microcell WebTool and registering or making changes to an existing Microcell.

Please advise that we have had a software upgrade to the site recently and the issue is being investigated and addressed, we apologize for the temporary inconvenience. If the customer is unable to make changes to their account, please have them wait and try again later.”

10 of 52 (10,053 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 4:58:36 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I just got off the phone with support - who were very polite, honest and helpful

There is indeed a systemwide issue after a software upgrade and they *hope* to get it up and running before the end of the weekend.

In the mean time I'm in a deadzone with no real ATT coverage and no microcell.

When's verizon getting the iPhone.......

11 of 52 (6,646 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 22, 2010 9:21:00 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Hmmmmmmm so I'm not alone. I'm about to return the thing for my money back but guess I could give it till the end of the weekend.

12 of 52 (6,624 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 24, 2010 5:10:23 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

welp, still getting call failed and come to think of it no ones called us for a while today either haha..guess it goes back monday Smiley Sad I really liked the idea behind this device but seems to be a waste for me

13 of 52 (6,565 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 26, 2010 10:48:36 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Ha. MicroCell is a joke.  I'm SO glad I didn't pay $ for it.

I called AT&T over the weekend to complain (yet again) about the lousy reception around my apartment.  Not just inside, but outside as well.  I live in a dead zone in the middle of Los Angeles, near a freeway even.  Well I must have said the right things because AT&T finally agreed to send me a MicroCell free of charge.

It arrived today and I promptly set it up.  I'm in a 3-level townhouse.  The MicroCell is down in my garage, it receives GPS signal fine and for Ethernet it's connected to an Airport Express operating in "Bridge Mode" on my wireless network.  Activating the MicroCell went smoothly.

Now, actually taking/placing calls is an entirely different issue.  I'm on iPhone 4 and EVERY call routed throught the MicroCell fails.  Usually after a few minutes connected to the M-Cell the call just cuts out.  The iPhone stops displaying "M-Cell" for a few minutes and then re-connects.  Place, another call, same result.  Consistently.

I'm disappointed, to say the least. It wasn't until I began troubleshooting that I came across all the negative posts on this forum.  What a crock this MicroCell thing is.  I'll say it again, I'm so glad I didn't pay $ for it.

14 of 52 (6,489 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2010 10:06:03 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

My Microcell is back up and running.  ATT had to manually remove my device from their database.  I was able to reactivate it this morning.  Everything is working fine again.

It is so nice to have 5 bars of signal while working in my home office which is in the basement.

15 of 52 (6,447 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2010 11:34:45 AM
    (0)
    Explorer

Move the microcell to the highest place possible.  Your signal will improve.

16 of 52 (6,430 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2010 1:31:02 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I don't think it's the signal.  It's 5 bars when connected, but doesn't stay connected for long.

17 of 52 (6,412 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 28, 2010 10:27:36 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

it seems as though this CALL FAILED fail mode has cropped up within the last month (october) or so.  I don't seem to recall seeing this before.

18 of 52 (6,357 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 28, 2010 10:29:41 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I did have a CALL FAILED signature last night 10.27.10. 

can't wait for the next SW and/or FW update!  Smiley Happy

19 of 52 (6,357 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 9:16:46 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

My femto had been working as well as possible -- with the stuttering, with the occasional "call failed" -- untili two days ago.

Starting then, every outbound call fails -- either immediately, or after 30 seconds of trying, or after it seems to connect then drops immediately. ("Call ended" appears on the display).

Inbound calls do not arrive on any of the phones on the M-Cell.

Turning off the M-Cell gets us on the (weak) macrocell, which works as well as it can with the weak signal we have here.

Called AT&T, they have no idea about any extended outages, nor, in fact, any clue about any ongoing femto issues.

On the phone now with "second-level" support. "Everything looks fine, it should work."

And yet, it doesn't.

I want my $150 back. :-(

20 of 52 (6,281 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 10:20:13 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

mnc042 wrote:

My femto had been working as well as possible -- with the stuttering, with the occasional "call failed" -- untili two days ago.

Starting then, every outbound call fails -- either immediately, or after 30 seconds of trying, or after it seems to connect then drops immediately. ("Call ended" appears on the display).

Inbound calls do not arrive on any of the phones on the M-Cell.

Turning off the M-Cell gets us on the (weak) macrocell, which works as well as it can with the weak signal we have here.

Called AT&T, they have no idea about any extended outages, nor, in fact, any clue about any ongoing femto issues.

On the phone now with "second-level" support. "Everything looks fine, it should work."

And yet, it doesn't.

I want my $150 back. :-(

De-activate the cell - via the att account page then add it back in. Power it off, then back on. It should pull a new firmware when it comes back in and if youre lucky after 20 minutes or so you will ba back up and running and possibly with the fixed firmware Smiley Happy

21 of 52 (6,461 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 10:30:23 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I'll try that. I had done this remedy before but not on this particular outage. Been so down on this femto that I have had all my diagnostic impulses beaten out of me. :-)

Just out of curiosity, is there an easy way to see the firmware revision and/or know if it got pushed, aside from it not failing anymore? :-)

\marc

22 of 52 (6,456 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:06:54 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by jefe on Oct 29, 2010 at 11:07:20 AM

mnc042 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is there an easy way to see the firmware revision and/or know if it got pushed, aside from it not failing anymore? :-)

\marc

Nope.  It's a common refrain from techno types that we'd like a user interface that would let us see firmware version, among other things.

[ Edited ]
    23 of 52 (6,443 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:10:43 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

jefe wrote:Nope.  It's a common refrain from techno types that we'd like a user interface that would let us see firmware version, among other things.

True enough. Sure wish we could get some visibility into this puppy.

Anyway, your suggestion worked for me. Cell is back up, calls in/out are working normally. I'll have to see if this resolves the stutter issue and the occasional "Call Failed" issue, both of which plagued me pretty constantly so I'll know if this is an improvement in short order.

Thanks!

\marc

24 of 52 (6,438 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:33:09 AM
    (0)
    Guru

mnc042 wrote:

Nope. The only way is to observe the behavior of the unit. If you force your phone to use 3G for data (instead of WiFi) and do a speed test and observe more than 60 kbps of upload bandwidth, then for sure you have a more recent version, but there are (apparently) versions of the firmware that fix the problems without increasing the uplink bandwidth.

AT&T treats their customers like mushrooms: they keep us in the dark and feed us with excrement.

25 of 52 (6,431 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 29, 2010 11:46:05 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

nsayer wrote:

mnc042 wrote:

Nope. The only way is to observe the behavior of the unit. If you force your phone to use 3G for data (instead of WiFi) and do a speed test and observe more than 60 kbps of upload bandwidth, then for sure you have a more recent version, but there are (apparently) versions of the firmware that fix the problems without increasing the uplink bandwidth.

AT&T treats their customers like mushrooms: they keep us in the dark and feed us with excrement.

My speedtest came out at 569kbps / 49kbps. So I'm thinking I didn't get the bandwidth fix.

At least the phone works again. I sure hope the stutter and "call failed" problems are resolved soon, too. This sure has been anything but a smooth ride..

\marc

26 of 52 (6,428 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 31, 2010 2:03:12 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

mnc042 wrote:

My speedtest came out at 569kbps / 49kbps. So I'm thinking I didn't get the bandwidth fix.

At least the phone works again. I sure hope the stutter and "call failed" problems are resolved soon, too. This sure has been anything but a smooth ride..

\marc

I have the "fix" for upload - specifically MMS photos and it did not involve increasing the upload cap. I can reliable send photos - no matter the size. My upload sits around 56k.... Persoanlly I have no issue with this as this only effects MMS - if I am emailing or uploading a file to the web it uses my WiFi.

27 of 52 (6,333 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 7, 2010 1:49:52 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Have you heard anything more on this front?

It's 11/7 and I'm still having the same call failed issue here in San Francisco.

thx

Dave

28 of 52 (6,169 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 23, 2010 7:15:57 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I continually get  this issue. The only fix that seems to make things better is for me to disable "cellular data" and then calls don't fail.

I've been on with support 3 times and although they've offered solutions including the 'cellular data diable' workaround there is no acknowledgment there is actually a problem.

I wouldn't recommend this device to anyone.

29 of 52 (5,926 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 24, 2010 6:36:55 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Every first attempt fails for outbound call fails. On occasion second attempt also fails. Have yet to experience a third failure.

What's crazy about this is can complete a call, then dial another number immediately; same failure sequence.

So the big giant electric pacifier ATT provided to stem the flow of dissatisfaction over their dismal cell reception is just another headache.

Did the de-register/re-register device steps to force firmware update. First call was to 611. Call failed-same behavior. ATT wont even acknowledge this problem, and "John" in the call center refers to this thread as "opinion". I don't know about the rest of you, but it appears to me we're all logging the same problem looking for help. 

Has anyone successfully resolved this? Been going on since first of October near as i can recall.

30 of 52 (5,899 Views)