Buying Microcell off Craigslist

Mentor

Buying Microcell off Craigslist

You can buy one elsewhere, fire it up and login after settingit up online, right? I mean it does not necessarily need to be setup at the ATT store? I found 2 unopened ones for $100 & $85.

Downside, I can't take it back it it does not work.

Message 1 of 12 (2,356 Views)
Scholar

Re: Buying Microcell off Craigslist

bubbatex wrote:

You can buy one elsewhere, fire it up and login after settingit up online, right? I mean it does not necessarily need to be setup at the ATT store? I found 2 unopened ones for $100 & $85.

Downside, I can't take it back it it does not work.

The only possible problem I can see is if the original owner didn't de-register the Microcell prior to selling it.

Message 2 of 12 (2,342 Views)
Mentor

The guys says he never took it out of the box - got it for free from ATT.

Message 3 of 12 (2,335 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

It he's telling the truth it should be OK then.

Message 4 of 12 (2,328 Views)
ACE - Master

All you need to do is go online and register it with the serial number on the bottom of the MicroCell but you need to have an active AT&T cell phone account because it will need the cell phone number of the account owner.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12 (2,326 Views)
Guru

That's true..as long as what E the P says isn't a problem, that being that the particular MicroCell isn't still registered on someone else's account.

Message 6 of 12 (2,318 Views)
Guru

Yeah, I agree with everyone so far. If I were going to do this, I would take a cell phone or laptop with me and perform the online registration steps before you pay the guy. Then plug it in and make sure the power light turns solid green. At that point I'd be satisfied and pay.

Message 7 of 12 (2,312 Views)
Guru

If the seller is local and the OP can be reasonably sure the MC he's buying is really in an originally sealed box, I'd be comfortable with that.  Otherwise...good advice trying before buying.

Message 8 of 12 (2,305 Views)
Mentor

I went buy my local ATT store today and complained about my connection problem, the amount of money I spend monthly, etc. and got......zippo. $200 and no rebates. Got the guy on craigslist down to $85. I'll take a chance that it works because if it does not, I'll resell it on craigslist myself!
Message 9 of 12 (2,244 Views)
Tutor

If sealed why not? As per instructions if there's updates to be downloaded and installed, which there will be right out of the box, means you'll be chilling with this dude for a good hour while you set it up. Just take it and don't worry about final setup until you get home. If you still feel like putting yourself at ease before you pay then just begin the setup because all you have to do is enter your phone # and the serial #, let the website run the check, and if it looks good then depart. Sucks though to hear you went in and complained and got denied. I just moved from above DC back to my hometown in western PA and 3G is as scarce as a Dodo in this area. I called a buddy i went to college with who works for AT&T and he gave me the same line, $200 for it, then he checked my plan and said I qualified for a free one. So I walked out the door happy as a clam today.
Message 10 of 12 (2,235 Views)
Mentor

They looked at my plan too while I was there - how did you qualify for one? Did your friend tell you?

Message 11 of 12 (1,677 Views)
Tutor

Something like I had over 1 yr left on my contract and had a qualifying plan. Don't know what the actual criteria were but I bet if you're under 6 months left on your contract they won't be apt to give you one free. I went to an AT&T store the day before in a different town and the guy there wouldn't even check when I mentioned "free" he wanted to see if I'd pay the $200 so I double checked my EFT and left. I don't believe my friend hooked me up for nothing cuz the manager was standing there watching since I was the only customer at the time. What's strange now though is he also replaced my sim since I moved up from Baltimore/DC and while it didn't help at the time due to lack of 3G coverage in that area, it gave me 3G when I got back to my house which is indicated on the map to be in 3G. What I don't know is this: Why the Microcell isn't linking up with my iPhone4 at all, and how did 3G suddenly work in my house? 3G cuts off when I go outside, and I'm pretty sure it isn't coming off the Microcell because my alpha tag never changed on the phone to indicate it was.
Message 12 of 12 (1,660 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.