Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 13, 2011
3:56:15 PM
View profile
Buy new SIM card without buying new plan?

My daughter was messing around on her phone and made it so that her SIM card is blocked. After some research we found out that we'd just have to buy a new SIM card, but everytime we go to do so it wants us to also buy a new plan/device, when all we want is a new SIM card for her phone. So my questions are, is it possible to buy just the SIM card without buying a new plan? Do we need to buy a new plan for her phone anyway, since the SIM card is no longer working? Also, we were looking at Amazon and there are AT&T SIM cards for ~$2, would it be easier to just buy a new SIM from Amazon? Or would there be added complications? Any added information I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to everyone that replies! (:

My daughter was messing around on her phone and made it so that her SIM card is blocked. After some research we found out that we'd just have to buy a new SIM card, but everytime we go to do so it wants us to also buy a new plan/device, when all we want is a new SIM card for her phone. So my questions are, is it possible to buy just the SIM card without buying a new plan? Do we need to buy a new plan for her phone anyway, since the SIM card is no longer working? Also, we were looking at Amazon and there are AT&T SIM cards for ~$2, would it be easier to just buy a new SIM from Amazon? Or would there be added complications? Any added information I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Buy new SIM card without buying new plan?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 4:23:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

safeinthecar wrote:

I am guessing that your daughter has a prepaid phone and is going to need a new prepaid SIM card? Smiley Wink

I'm sure you can purchase a SIM card without adding a plan to the order, but it would make sense because you would have to eventually add a plan for the SIM, anyway. Purchasing from Amazon.com or eBay is much easier, though. I have purchased prepaid SIMs from eBay in the past and they have been very cheap and work very well. You would just have to activate and add a new plan to the SIM and your daughter would get a new phone number.

Amazon or eBay is your best bet. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

safeinthecar wrote:

I am guessing that your daughter has a prepaid phone and is going to need a new prepaid SIM card? Smiley Wink

I'm sure you can purchase a SIM card without adding a plan to the order, but it would make sense because you would have to eventually add a plan for the SIM, anyway. Purchasing from Amazon.com or eBay is much easier, though. I have purchased prepaid SIMs from eBay in the past and they have been very cheap and work very well. You would just have to activate and add a new plan to the SIM and your daughter would get a new phone number.

Amazon or eBay is your best bet. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Buy new SIM card without buying new plan?

2 of 3 (1,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 3:54:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

safeinthecar wrote:

Personally I would just visit your local Corporate at&t store - they may provide a new SIM for free, provisioned for your daughter's existing line of service. (If it's a prepaid account, they will likely provide it at no charge if you'll add funds to the account while in the store.)

If they are going to charge you (or you don't have a local Corporate store nearby) you can always go the other route - but why pay for one, wait for it to arrive, and have to deal with the activiation, etc. yourself if all that is not necessary?

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

safeinthecar wrote:

Personally I would just visit your local Corporate at&t store - they may provide a new SIM for free, provisioned for your daughter's existing line of service. (If it's a prepaid account, they will likely provide it at no charge if you'll add funds to the account while in the store.)

If they are going to charge you (or you don't have a local Corporate store nearby) you can always go the other route - but why pay for one, wait for it to arrive, and have to deal with the activiation, etc. yourself if all that is not necessary?

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Buy new SIM card without buying new plan?

3 of 3 (1,738 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments