Broken iPhone ETF?!

Contributor

Broken iPhone ETF?!

I broke my iPhone 3GS and it's still under contract. I went into an AT&T Corporate Store and I asked how much it would cost to get a new phone and was qouted $450 + tax  + $36.00 upgrade fee. I asked if I could get a gophone and use it on my contract line and was told yes but I would be charged an ETF of $165 because of a "plan downgrade". I was planning on getting the pantech gophone but I'm not willing on paying an ETF. Help!. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
Employee

Re: Broken iPhone ETF?!

There are no ETFs for changing phones or "plan downgrades"
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Can I  buy the gophone then and just move my simcard then? Also will it have any effect on my contract?

Message 3 of 5

Yes, just buy a GoPhone and swap your Sim. There are no charges to do this and no extension to your contract. If the GoPhone is not a smart phone, you can drop the Iphone Data plan and go to a Non=smartphone data plan and save some more money.

No ETF is required if you complete the original 2 yr contract.

You could but a 3GS off Craigslist or Ebay and not pay as much to replace as buying NEW at AT&T.

Message 4 of 5
Expert

audia5 wrote:

Can I  buy the gophone then and just move my simcard then? Also will it have any effect on my contract?

the onyl possible affect is that if you put a phone that is not a smartphone on your number and you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, the data plan will be removed and there is no way you can get it back - you go back to a smartphone you will be required to choose a tiered data plan

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support