Broken iPhone ETF?!

Contributor

Broken iPhone ETF?!

I broke my iPhone 3GS and it's still under contract. I went into an AT&T Corporate Store and I asked how much it would cost to get a new phone and was qouted $450 + tax  + $36.00 upgrade fee. I asked if I could get a gophone and use it on my contract line and was told yes but I would be charged an ETF of $165 because of a "plan downgrade". I was planning on getting the pantech gophone but I'm not willing on paying an ETF. Help!. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
Employee

Re: Broken iPhone ETF?!

There are no ETFs for changing phones or "plan downgrades"
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Can I  buy the gophone then and just move my simcard then? Also will it have any effect on my contract?

Message 3 of 5

Yes, just buy a GoPhone and swap your Sim. There are no charges to do this and no extension to your contract. If the GoPhone is not a smart phone, you can drop the Iphone Data plan and go to a Non=smartphone data plan and save some more money.

No ETF is required if you complete the original 2 yr contract.

You could but a 3GS off Craigslist or Ebay and not pay as much to replace as buying NEW at AT&T.

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Expert

audia5 wrote:

Can I  buy the gophone then and just move my simcard then? Also will it have any effect on my contract?

the onyl possible affect is that if you put a phone that is not a smartphone on your number and you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, the data plan will be removed and there is no way you can get it back - you go back to a smartphone you will be required to choose a tiered data plan

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support