Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 29, 2012
4:08:28 PM
View profile
Broken iPhone ETF?!

I broke my iPhone 3GS and it's still under contract. I went into an AT&T Corporate Store and I asked how much it would cost to get a new phone and was qouted $450 + tax  + $36.00 upgrade fee. I asked if I could get a gophone and use it on my contract line and was told yes but I would be charged an ETF of $165 because of a "plan downgrade". I was planning on getting the pantech gophone but I'm not willing on paying an ETF. Help!. Thanks in advance.

I broke my iPhone 3GS and it's still under contract. I went into an AT&T Corporate Store and I asked how much it would cost to get a new phone and was qouted $450 + tax  + $36.00 upgrade fee. I asked if I could get a gophone and use it on my contract line and was told yes but I would be charged an ETF of $165 because of a "plan downgrade". I was planning on getting the pantech gophone but I'm not willing on paying an ETF. Help!. Thanks in advance.

Broken iPhone ETF?!

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 4:18:00 PM
(0)
Employee
There are no ETFs for changing phones or "plan downgrades"
There are no ETFs for changing phones or "plan downgrades"
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Broken iPhone ETF?!

2 of 5 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 4:23:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Can I  buy the gophone then and just move my simcard then? Also will it have any effect on my contract?

Can I  buy the gophone then and just move my simcard then? Also will it have any effect on my contract?

3 of 5 (619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 4:48:57 PM
(0)
Guru

Yes, just buy a GoPhone and swap your Sim. There are no charges to do this and no extension to your contract. If the GoPhone is not a smart phone, you can drop the Iphone Data plan and go to a Non=smartphone data plan and save some more money.

No ETF is required if you complete the original 2 yr contract.

You could but a 3GS off Craigslist or Ebay and not pay as much to replace as buying NEW at AT&T.

Yes, just buy a GoPhone and swap your Sim. There are no charges to do this and no extension to your contract. If the GoPhone is not a smart phone, you can drop the Iphone Data plan and go to a Non=smartphone data plan and save some more money.

No ETF is required if you complete the original 2 yr contract.

You could but a 3GS off Craigslist or Ebay and not pay as much to replace as buying NEW at AT&T.

4 of 5 (610 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2012 3:18:24 AM
(0)
Expert

audia5 wrote:

the onyl possible affect is that if you put a phone that is not a smartphone on your number and you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, the data plan will be removed and there is no way you can get it back - you go back to a smartphone you will be required to choose a tiered data plan

audia5 wrote:

the onyl possible affect is that if you put a phone that is not a smartphone on your number and you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, the data plan will be removed and there is no way you can get it back - you go back to a smartphone you will be required to choose a tiered data plan

5 of 5 (583 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments