Broke iphone, brother can update- can I take his phone?

Contributor

Broke iphone, brother can update- can I take his phone?

My iphone got mutilated, long story.

Anyways, My brother can update his phone and is going to update to iphone 4.
Can he update the phone and give it to me in store without starting a new data plan, since I already have a data plan? And let them know he wants to UPDATE his phone, but give it to me and keep his old phone?
Or will we have to start a new data plan for the iphone 4, then cancel it and pay the 15$ (or whatever) for a month. Or would we be unable to cancel it?

Thanks!!! 

Message 1 of 6 (535 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Broke iphone, brother can update- can I take his phone?

Yes, your brother can use his update to get an iPhone and give it to you. If you already have a smartphone data plan, you will not need to change data plans. It is best to be done in store so that everything is properly transferred.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (490 Views)
Scholar

I tried that and thought I could just switch SIM cards, wrong! I had to call ATT and they had to make sure all the SIM and IMEI numbers matched up. It wasn't that difficult and they got everything straightened out pretty quickly. They were even able to straighten out the data plans.

I did mine at Wal Mart. If you go to an ATT store they can probably make sure everything is good before you leave.

Message 3 of 6 (433 Views)
Scholar

I would NOT recommend using WalMart. I had a huge problem when I needed to get an upgrade reversed recently. Long story short, I returned a phone to them after 2 days because I found the phone I thought I lost. It took them over 2 months to get everything straightened out and AT&T told me that they could do nothing because WalMart had their own separate system for upgrades and such. It sounds weird, I know, but this was the story from many, many CSRs.

I would look at Apple too, they handled my last upgrade in no time. I have had a few good experiences with AT&T stores but many more bad experiences with them. Not once have I had any trouble in an Apple store. They seem to really understand the concept of customer service (at least the Apple stores around me).

Message 4 of 6 (425 Views)
ACE - Master

Also, if for some reason the data plan is added to your brother's line before you complete the phone swap, it is very easy to get it removed and he will not be charged for an entire month. Worst case is it will be pro-rated for the number of days it was active.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (410 Views)
Professor

Yes your brother can upgrade to a iphone 4 or 4S and give it to you. just go to a AT&T store or apple to do this. i used my wife upgrade to get a 3GS at apple. apple activated the 3GS i put my sim card in to the 3GS and it was good t ogo.

so yes you can do this.

Message 6 of 6 (397 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.