Helpful Links

Bought the unlock Galaxy Note, but ATT doen't recognize it as phone

Tutor

Bought the unlock Galaxy Note, but ATT doen't recognize it as phone

Hi, I bought the Note phone a few days ago, everything was working fine,

until I got a SMS from ATT saying that I can't use my sim card with a tablet or a laptop

I called them and said that this is a phone and not a laptop,

They asked for the IMEI number, I gave it to them, they said the system does not recognize this IMEI

and they cancel my data plan , I am with ATT for 5 years already.

Can't att just add the IMEI number of the Note to there system (database)? what is the big deal?

Please help..

Message 1 of 17
Contributor

Re: Bought the unlock Galaxy Note, but ATT doen't recognize it as phone

I have the same phone. When will this be available to use on AT&T??

Specs are below:

Samsung Galaxy Note

3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Data transfer: GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, Wi-Fi

Compatible Carrier & Service AT&T, AT&T 3G, T-Mobile, Rogers, Fido "AT&T 3G Only"

Message 2 of 17
Professor

The problem is probably the size of the screen. Samsung calls this a hybrid device that is both a tablet and a smartphone. So at&t policy will have to call it a phone that also acts as a tablet or a tablet that also works as a phone, with different pricing for each. It looks like at&t has decided it is a tablet that also works as a phone.
Message 3 of 17
Master

FredW wrote:
The problem is probably the size of the screen. Samsung calls this a hybrid device that is both a tablet and a smartphone. So at&t policy will have to call it a phone that also acts as a tablet or a tablet that also works as a phone, with different pricing for each. It looks like at&t has decided it is a tablet that also works as a phone.
The Dell Streak was very close to be considered a tablet-smartphone hybrid, too. Maybe that's what AT&T even considered it. Streak owners are/were able to take advantage of data plans...I'm not sure why these people who have the Note are not. Maybe it's just too new?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 17
Tutor

I think it is because it is not yet in the USA, this is phone, not a tablet 

Message 5 of 17
Contributor

The problem is that the AT&T system, for some stupid reason, has the Note IMEIs registered as a tablet.

What you need to do is go into a physical AT&T store and say, "I want to use this phone please".

What the clerk will likely do is use another Smartphone's IMEI, enter that, and select the appropriate data plan.

Once you are registered on the system as using a smartphone, you then swap the sim into your phone and you are technically good to go.

Don't bother calling for help over the phone.  The guy won't know what to do.  Go into a store.  Once they see that yes, it's  a phone, then they will do their best to help you.

Side note:

AT&T seems to be checking their unlimited plans (gophone/medianet/unlimited data) semi regularly for tablet users.  People with Notes using those plans have been getting text messages saying 'sorry, you can't use a tablet with this plan' and then getting their data shut off.   There's a big thread on the xda forums.

For whatever reason, they aren't checking the tiered (200 Meg/2 gig/4 gig) plans.  They might not be checking the grandfathered unlimited data plans either.

- Frank

Message 6 of 17
Contributor

Oh, and side note, you'll need to manually enter the APN information to get the data working.

See this link:

http://lishutterbug.com/note/#android2

Make sure to use one of the 4g APNs.

- Frank

Message 7 of 17
Tutor

I went also went to a store, they said that that they can't help

I am using now the Note, but disable the data, hope they won't notice

Message 8 of 17
Contributor

nisk wrote:

I went also went to a store, they said that that they can't help

I am using now the Note, but disable the data, hope they won't notice

That's dumb.  Go back in with a different smartphone and tell them you're using that, then switch sims.

They shouldn't care as long as you are on a legit smartphone plan.

- Frank

Message 9 of 17
Tutor

Yes, I told them that I am back with my nexus 1, I have my unlimted plan back,

But I swtich off my data on the note, using it with wifi only at this moment.

Will wait a little longer before I decide what to do

Message 10 of 17
Guru

Their computer reads the Note IMEI number as a TABLET

Since tablets do not have voice (Galaxy Tab, iPad etc), then, they "can't" offer you a data plan & voice plan,

because their screwed up system says it is a data only device.  Why they "see" the G Note as a tablet only?

Who knows...My guess is because they don't want people bringing their own non subsidized phone to their

network without it being locked down, features removed, and bloat installed.

The XDA-Developers forums are hot & heavy with people trying to find work arounds to get it to function as a

phone & tablet.  Some have success, but then a day, week, month goes by and they get a SMS message that

says their data has been dropped, call customer service.

Then the fun begins.  If you go into a store, some CS reps will work with you, some will not.  Some will do whatever

they can to get the data & phone part to work on their system by entering a dead device IMEI number into your

account, but, if the phone sends out a different one, it will screw it up ma-bell's computer and they shut off the

data again.

The Note is "suppose" to be coming to the USA "officially" in 2012, but with at&t, if it isn't an iPhone, who knows

when that will be.

Some online thought it might be those with the old unlimited data plan that were getting kicked off, but there were

those that had a SG2, that were on the new data plans, then bought the Note, switched the sim card out and

got their data shut off and the only way to get it back was to put the card back in the SG2, call the CS, and cry until

they turn it back on. 

And, what can "we" do?  NOTHING...get ticked at at&t, drop them and go to Verizon?  Read some of their forum

sections and you'll find the same anger at their business practices as you do here.  It's the duopoply we live in

within the USA.

Maybe once the Note "officially" hits the USA, you can get an international version to work, but, knowing how

at&T does things, don't count on it.  The at&t version will lose the home button in favor of the 4 buttons, have a

different processor to get LTE to work and who knows what else.   Sad, you go to a manufacturer website, find a

phone you really like, has the features you really want, and by the time it GETS to the USA market, it's 6 months or

more late, outdated firmware, stripped of features that it is suppose to have.  Just ask those on the Verizon network

about some of the features knocked out of their android devices...

Message 11 of 17
Employee

This issue should now be corrected.I've been working with a customer and our systems now sore it as a note and not a tablet
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 17
Employee

I wonder if it was my email to the engineers that fixed it, if so, you're welcome lol
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 17
Tutor

Hi the issue was resolved , at least the last 2 days and no issue,

I sent also lots of emails to everyone Smiley Happy

but if it was one of you who helped, then thank you :-)

Message 14 of 17
Master

Congratulations! Enjoy your new "hybrid" phone! Smiley Very Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 15 of 17
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support