Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 19, 2011
3:57:36 PM
View profile
Boost Microcell Signal

I have no wireless reception in my house, which is why I bought the 3G Microcell, only to find out that I have to literally sit ontop (straddle) that device for my iPhone to pick up the Microcell. Currently it is located on top of my desk.

Just moving about in the same room with the device in it will make my iPhone drop the Microcell.

Is there a way to somehow boost the signal this device emits or am I out of luck?

I have no wireless reception in my house, which is why I bought the 3G Microcell, only to find out that I have to literally sit ontop (straddle) that device for my iPhone to pick up the Microcell. Currently it is located on top of my desk.

Just moving about in the same room with the device in it will make my iPhone drop the Microcell.

Is there a way to somehow boost the signal this device emits or am I out of luck?

Boost Microcell Signal

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 5:01:39 PM
(0)
Guru

No, you're out of luck.

The likely problem is that your iPhone is flipping to the Macro network too readily.

There is a rumor that a magic firmware update is coming that will fix this issue, but AT&T has lied to us so often before that it's hard to take such things seriously.

No, you're out of luck.

The likely problem is that your iPhone is flipping to the Macro network too readily.

There is a rumor that a magic firmware update is coming that will fix this issue, but AT&T has lied to us so often before that it's hard to take such things seriously.

Re: Boost Microcell Signal

2 of 10 (2,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 5:44:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am glad I am not the only one thoroughly disappointed by ATT's poor performance and customer service

I am glad I am not the only one thoroughly disappointed by ATT's poor performance and customer service

3 of 10 (2,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 9:45:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jamgold wrote:

You'll have to stand in line on that one. My MC has been fine for 5 months (again) but started losing connectivity off and on last night. All lights are solid but my phone (a Samsung and and iPhone 3GS) wouldn't connect. This morning all was well. 5 bars, 3G, no issues at all. Hopefully it was just a glitch due to the solar storm (fishin' here Smiley Wink) because I really don't want to open up another ticket session with "customer support". I wonder if our two new moderators are reading this?

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

jamgold wrote:

You'll have to stand in line on that one. My MC has been fine for 5 months (again) but started losing connectivity off and on last night. All lights are solid but my phone (a Samsung and and iPhone 3GS) wouldn't connect. This morning all was well. 5 bars, 3G, no issues at all. Hopefully it was just a glitch due to the solar storm (fishin' here Smiley Wink) because I really don't want to open up another ticket session with "customer support". I wonder if our two new moderators are reading this?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (2,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2011 5:43:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

nsayer wrote:

I wonder if that's what happened last night (around 8pm PST). See my post above. I have no way of verifying this as our iPhone3GSs have worked well but the symptoms are the same when they last updated our area back in March.

nsayer wrote:

I wonder if that's what happened last night (around 8pm PST). See my post above. I have no way of verifying this as our iPhone3GSs have worked well but the symptoms are the same when they last updated our area back in March.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 10 (2,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 1:13:13 PM
(0)
Guru

I just de-activated and re-activated our Microcell. No change. The first call attempt after I got home took 30+ seconds to start ringing, and the signal drops from 5 bars down to 3 when we move down the hall about 15 feet away.

I just de-activated and re-activated our Microcell. No change. The first call attempt after I got home took 30+ seconds to start ringing, and the signal drops from 5 bars down to 3 when we move down the hall about 15 feet away.

6 of 10 (2,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 2:25:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

nsayer wrote:

Today has been fine all day. No problems at all. Don't get it, and we're probably about 15 miles away from each other.

nsayer wrote:

Today has been fine all day. No problems at all. Don't get it, and we're probably about 15 miles away from each other.

7 of 10 (2,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 7:58:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was considering getting an MC for our place. Currently we have to sit in one spot on the couch that is 2 feet from the front window in order to use our iPhone 3GS. That's not an eggsageration. There is one spot we can reliably get 2-3 bars and that's it.

Based on your experience should we bother with the MC or just move to Verizon or Sprint? Our 2 years is up and we're ready to upgrade to the 4GS anyhow.

Thanks

I was considering getting an MC for our place. Currently we have to sit in one spot on the couch that is 2 feet from the front window in order to use our iPhone 3GS. That's not an eggsageration. There is one spot we can reliably get 2-3 bars and that's it.

Based on your experience should we bother with the MC or just move to Verizon or Sprint? Our 2 years is up and we're ready to upgrade to the 4GS anyhow.

Thanks

8 of 10 (2,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 8:18:47 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:20:56 PM

foresme wrote:

Thanks

As an alternative, you may want to consider getting a signal booster, for example Wilson Electronics Model 815226. This is a cradle type booster you can buy from solidsignal.com, bestbuy.com or Wilson Electronics. Other boosters are available depending on what you need to do.

Another booster is zBoost.

foresme wrote:

Thanks

As an alternative, you may want to consider getting a signal booster, for example Wilson Electronics Model 815226. This is a cradle type booster you can buy from solidsignal.com, bestbuy.com or Wilson Electronics. Other boosters are available depending on what you need to do.

Another booster is zBoost.

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (2,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 12:35:27 AM
(0)
Mentor

If I were you I switch to Verizon and not look back! You may get better coverage and a working uCell designed by Samsung in South Korea.

ATT may have gotten too big again to deliver consistent services - All we get is 3rd world service at premium rates. I have been in Europe and all over Asia. China still being considered "a poor" country with 1,500 Million people (1.5B) has a 1st class coverage with people having to use cell phones all day long because writing is so difficult for them. I have been sight seeing in Sichuan rural areas and could not find a dead spot all the way to a 4,000 meter high Emei mountain. I am sure there are exceptions there too!

As for us even when we try to improve the poor coverage with a uCell all we get is a sick-box and the shaft. Ouch!

If I were you I switch to Verizon and not look back! You may get better coverage and a working uCell designed by Samsung in South Korea.

ATT may have gotten too big again to deliver consistent services - All we get is 3rd world service at premium rates. I have been in Europe and all over Asia. China still being considered "a poor" country with 1,500 Million people (1.5B) has a 1st class coverage with people having to use cell phones all day long because writing is so difficult for them. I have been sight seeing in Sichuan rural areas and could not find a dead spot all the way to a 4,000 meter high Emei mountain. I am sure there are exceptions there too!

As for us even when we try to improve the poor coverage with a uCell all we get is a sick-box and the shaft. Ouch!

Re: unusable cellphone service

10 of 10 (2,221 Views)