Bogus Internet charges..

Tutor

Bogus Internet charges..

Just seen a preview of my bill.  $420.00.  Apparently, my phone, which is never out of my site, was used to access the internet.  $255.00 worth.  We just got new phones.  They are the LG Vu.  When I contacted customer service and told the man that I never get on the internet, he said that I was pretty much lying and it was done from my phone.  Has anyone else had these problems?  I have had charges for ringtone sites like firefly, which I didn't even know what that was until I looked it up online.
Message 1 of 10
Scholar

Re: Bogus Internet charges..

that sure is a LOT of data incurred for it to be accidental usage. The LG VU's are multi-media focused devices, watching cellular video, or browsing the web, or using it for email will all incur data charges.
Message 2 of 10
Contributor

The same thing has happened to me this month.  Mine are right around $400 worth of usuage.  I never use the internet on my phone and no one else ever uses my phone.  Just curious, how many data sessions did your bill show and what was the largest one?  I haven't called yet, but am planning on it today.
Message 3 of 10
Contributor

Good luck guys, my 8 year olds phone was stolen, did not report it for a couple of days b/c we thought he might have lost it.  Someone racked up $531 in internet charges.  called it in to att, they told my wife we would not be charged from the time she said it was missing.  After waiting 10 days finally called up to see why charges were still on my bill, they basically said they thought we were lying and were not going to remove it. Called back, and after holding for 30 minutes, talked to a supposed manager who said he would call me back with A NEW case # .  Never heard back.  have been with att/cingular for twelve years. Guess they would rather hump me once for $531 than try to keep my business for $200 a month, not including my TV service and dsl I will be cancelling also. Verizon here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, ATT customer service is the worst, never get same answer from service reps, there favorite sayings are "I'm Not Sure" and "Can You Hold Please".  Every time i call, no matter what about, it takes close to an hour to resolve.

Message 4 of 10
Contributor

that kind of usage is hard to come across accidentally but either way ask for a rerate....chose a 15.00 or 30.00 pkg (depending on your phone)  and they will deduct that amount from the overages and credit you the difference.

Message 5 of 10
Mentor

Here's a question. If an Internet package costs $30 or $15, why don't pay per use charges max out at $30 or $15. It obviously doesn't cost ATT anymore than that if that is what they are charging for usage. Charging anymore than this seems just outrageously greedy and leads to bad customer relations.
Message 6 of 10
Scholar

Its business. They want you to add an internet package which guarantees AT&T $30 from you every month, or they can risk you  not using the interent at all with pay-per-use and having no extra charges. Or you can risk using the internet and having lots of extra charges with pay-per-use.
Message 7 of 10
Contributor

Does anyone know if they will actually do this?...Meaning if I call and add an internet package to my phone, they will back date it and credit the overages.
Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

Yes, it has been done many times
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Teacher

They normally do not back date the features. They add it that moment and give you a credit. If there was $100 in overages, they add the $15 package and give you a credit for $85.

What my guess for these people claiming to never have used the internet on their phones is that they are using features of the phone not realizing that is does use data and therefore incurs data charges.

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support