Bluetoothe enabled does not mean hands free on samsung captivate

Tutor

Bluetoothe enabled does not mean hands free on samsung captivate

Is there an email address available to complain about the false advertising of devices claiming they are bluetoothe enabled vs hands free. I currently live in a state that strickly enforces the hands free law while driving.  I just recently purchased the captivate and was told that it was bluetoothe enabled but learned later that did not mean voice dialing without touching my phone.

My blackberry and other "dumb" phones have this feature so naturally I assumed that a smart phone that I paid over a hundred dollars for and committed to a 2 year contract would have this feature.  I also bought a blueant speaker listed as a true hands free device showing that the captivate listed as one of the devices that was compatible with.  I was also assured by 2 AT&T customer service reps at our AT&T store that it would work only to find out later that my carrier must have blocked this feature.

Now I have to wait one year to upgrade to a phone that may have this feature.  I am totally amazed this feature is not on all phones at this day and age when we will see more states adopt the hand free law.

Message 1 of 6 (324 Views)
Master

Re: Bluetoothe enabled does not mean hands free on samsung captivate

[ Edited ]

It's not that carrier blocked this feature. Android OS doesn't have this feature until Android 2.2.1. Unfortunately for you, the latest official firmware for Captivate is only 2.2 that doesn't support voice dial from BT using the button. But you can still activate the Voice Dial by press and hold the search button.

There are leaked Android 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 AT&T ROMs out there for Captivate. If you really wants the voice dial hands free feature, you can flash to those leaked ROMs and they do work.

It's not uncommon that this feature is missing from many smartphones. Last couple of Windows Mobile phones I owned doesn't have it either.

Message 2 of 6 (313 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!  How do I get these leaked versions?  "There are leaked Android 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 AT&T ROMs out there for Captivate.

Message 3 of 6 (303 Views)
Master

You need check out xda-developers.com Captivate forum. The GingerBread ROMs are much better than the official 2.2 ROM. AT&T is supposed to release them this year but who knows.

Message 4 of 6 (297 Views)
Tutor

Do I need to get both 2.3.3 & 2.3.4?
Message 5 of 6 (279 Views)
Highlighted
Master

No pick one. 2.3.4 is newer but I heard there are issues with the browser Flash player plug-in.

Message 6 of 6 (266 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.