Blocking numbers

Contributor

Blocking numbers

I have an Apple iPhone by AT&T.. Does anyone know if there is any way to block a number from calling your phone? (Without having to pay a monthly payment for it?)

Message 1 of 9
Master

Re: Blocking numbers

There is not a way.

Submitt a feedback form to Apple requesting it under Enhancement Request:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Message 2 of 9
Professor

Yes, there is... Click here
Message 3 of 9
Former Moderator

300k wrote:
Yes, there is... Click here

Be careful. Most people are happy to help out on these Forums, but remember that their advice is theirs only and that you are responsible for deciding whether or not to follow it. Take caution before downloading software to or for your handset, as it could potentially damage your device or void your warranty.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 4 of 9
Contributor

It's odd that they won't let you block a number, but they have no problem chargin you when a number calls you.

Suppose you receive a call 3x per day that you would rather not receive and/or pay for. Why should you not be able to refuse these calls

Message 5 of 9
Professor

jwalter007 wrote:

It's odd that they won't let you block a number, but they have no problem chargin you when a number calls you.

Suppose you receive a call 3x per day that you would rather not receive and/or pay for. Why should you not be able to refuse these calls

There is a very simple and basic way to refuse the call, do not answer the phone.

There is no rule/law/requirement for you to jump and answer the phone every time it rings, you do have voicemail.

While I can see a reason for wanting to block calls, and agree that it should be an option, AT&T no Apple prevent you from blocking calls. What they do is make it so that you either pay for the priviledge, you jailbreak the phone to provide the option, or you simply ignore the call.

Message 6 of 9
Professor

Second hand way:

• Forward to YouMail (charges 1-2 minutes each)
  • On YouMail, setup your voicemail for non-friends "The number you have dialed is no longer in service. Please check the number and try your call again."
  • Add all your friends to hear your greeting

Google Voice does not have this option unfortunately. This would be a nice feature, but they only allow self voicemail not a special voicemail.

Message 7 of 9
Contributor

Since we can't legitimately block numbers, I've done this instead: I made a silent ringtone (about 30 seconds of no sounds) which i added to my iPhone through iTunes. When i get an unwanted call i reject it and create a new contact for it. I then assign the contact my silent ringtone. Now I never hear it ring again for those numbers, so i never answer it.

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Scholar

While it may be too late if you have a long established number, but there is the GoogleVoice option too.  When I moved recently and had to change my number, I went ahead before moving and got a GV number.  That is the only number I have given out since I moved and reprogrammed my iPhone overair to it's new number.  Thus far, only AT&T and my immediate family members have my "real" phone number, everybody else gets the GV number, and I use it's SPAM filter to block unwanted calls.

To make sure you don't show your real number on callerid, either block it (*67) or first call your GV number, enter your PIN and place the call from the GV at the prompt so your GV number shows up on the receipients caller id.

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support