View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 3:03:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

Network-based blocking, "at the root", is not available with prepaid.   All "blocking" would have to rely on your phone, and is highly dependent on brand and OS (many phones do not offer such "barring" features):

1. set a "do not disturb" to specific numbers
  2. assign a "silent ring" to specific numbers (assigns a silent ring tone to the phone number)

But none of the features above will stop the nuisance call to forward to voicemail, for example. And, if it is nuisance texting, you will be charged for the text delivery, even if "barred" on your phone.

Once your number is known to the nuisance caller, and if it is persistent, the drastic "cure" is to get a new prepaid number.  I am sure others will add to this.

Network-based blocking, "at the root", is not available with prepaid.   All "blocking" would have to rely on your phone, and is highly dependent on brand and OS (many phones do not offer such "barring" features):

1. set a "do not disturb" to specific numbers
  2. assign a "silent ring" to specific numbers (assigns a silent ring tone to the phone number)

But none of the features above will stop the nuisance call to forward to voicemail, for example. And, if it is nuisance texting, you will be charged for the text delivery, even if "barred" on your phone.

Once your number is known to the nuisance caller, and if it is persistent, the drastic "cure" is to get a new prepaid number.  I am sure others will add to this.

Re: Blocking a phone number with prepaid

2 of 4 (6,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 7:20:51 AM
(0)
Scholar
One other method would be to use Google Voice. You give out the Google Voice number instead of your prepaid number to other people. You can set up spam blocking so received spam don't get forwarded to your prepaid number.

Since your number is already known, you might want to just port that number to Google Voice (closes your account so might want to use up all your credits first) and get a new SIM card/number where you can forward calls/texts from your original number (that's been ported to Google Voice).
One other method would be to use Google Voice. You give out the Google Voice number instead of your prepaid number to other people. You can set up spam blocking so received spam don't get forwarded to your prepaid number.

Since your number is already known, you might want to just port that number to Google Voice (closes your account so might want to use up all your credits first) and get a new SIM card/number where you can forward calls/texts from your original number (that's been ported to Google Voice).

3 of 4 (6,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 7:29:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:33:42 AM

hnzw_rui wrote:

Absolutely, hnzw_rui.  A port to Google Voice will work like a charm.  And is device and carrier independent as the forwarding controls are shifted to Google Voice under "Groups".  (The port is necessary to shift the controls to Google Voice, as you said, because the number is already known to the caller -- otherwise a port would be optional.)

This thread http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Problem-about-plan/td-p/2872103 sketches to an international poster, the "How?" and the "Why?" of a Google Voice port, but they apply in here as well.

I just missed that third option last night.  Thanks.

hnzw_rui wrote:

Absolutely, hnzw_rui.  A port to Google Voice will work like a charm.  And is device and carrier independent as the forwarding controls are shifted to Google Voice under "Groups".  (The port is necessary to shift the controls to Google Voice, as you said, because the number is already known to the caller -- otherwise a port would be optional.)

This thread http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Problem-about-plan/td-p/2872103 sketches to an international poster, the "How?" and the "Why?" of a Google Voice port, but they apply in here as well.

I just missed that third option last night.  Thanks.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (6,803 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments