Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 9, 2009
9:07:45 AM
Block INCOMING TEXT Messages

Is it possible to block incoming text messages?

There are some jokers, who have my number and keep messaging me random crap jokes, that I don't wanna read.

Is it possible to block incoming text messages?

There are some jokers, who have my number and keep messaging me random crap jokes, that I don't wanna read.

Block INCOMING TEXT Messages

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2009 10:01:43 AM
(0)
Master

Call Customer Service (611) from your phone and ask them to "restrict texting".

This means you can't send out either.

It's all or nothing.

Call Customer Service (611) from your phone and ask them to "restrict texting".

This means you can't send out either.

It's all or nothing.

Posted from my Samsung Captivate

Re: Block INCOMING TEXT Messages

2 of 21 (75,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2009 10:26:25 PM
(0)
Guru
Not so. There's SMART LIMITS FOR WIRELESS. $5 per month, or $4.99, I forget, but you can restrict up to some-teen numbers from contacting you. You can do a lot more than that, but this is the most relevant part of the feature right now.

Just know that Customer Care CANNOT configure it for you. It's pretty simple to use, though. You just need to have registered your account online, have the feature provisioned on the line you want to set restrictions on, and you're golden.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Not so. There's SMART LIMITS FOR WIRELESS. $5 per month, or $4.99, I forget, but you can restrict up to some-teen numbers from contacting you. You can do a lot more than that, but this is the most relevant part of the feature right now.

Just know that Customer Care CANNOT configure it for you. It's pretty simple to use, though. You just need to have registered your account online, have the feature provisioned on the line you want to set restrictions on, and you're golden.

3 of 21 (75,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2009 2:55:36 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Jul 10, 2009 at 2:56:16 AM

Mister Xiado wrote:

Good point.

I always forget about SmartLimits...because I think paying recurring fees for blocking specific incoming texts is such a scam. It should be free.

Message Edited by Zandora on 07-10-2009 05:56:16 AM

Mister Xiado wrote:

Good point.

I always forget about SmartLimits...because I think paying recurring fees for blocking specific incoming texts is such a scam. It should be free.

Message Edited by Zandora on 07-10-2009 05:56:16 AM

[ Edited ]
4 of 21 (75,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 10:05:41 PM
(0)
Master

I agree on the text blocking should be free.  Or even a feature of a plan.Maybe a person can block so many numbers from calling or texting..

Also.. Try "YOUMAIL" for blocking phone numbers

I agree on the text blocking should be free.  Or even a feature of a plan.Maybe a person can block so many numbers from calling or texting..

Also.. Try "YOUMAIL" for blocking phone numbers

5 of 21 (75,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2009 10:18:42 PM
(0)
Guru
Why should anything that people want be free? The whole purpose of capitalism is to find a need, and to fill it at an acceptable price. If the majority of people don't mind, then you've a success on your hands.

I'd recommend skipping text messaging and going with email instead. You can do a lot more with unlimited data, and the best part is, you can use more than 160 characters in a message.

Buuuut, if you talk far more than you SPEAK, I can see how SMS messaging would be important. Some LG phones, and most Samsung phones allow you to block calls and messages directly on the device, but I haven't determined yet if this affects your billing at all.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Why should anything that people want be free? The whole purpose of capitalism is to find a need, and to fill it at an acceptable price. If the majority of people don't mind, then you've a success on your hands.

I'd recommend skipping text messaging and going with email instead. You can do a lot more with unlimited data, and the best part is, you can use more than 160 characters in a message.

Buuuut, if you talk far more than you SPEAK, I can see how SMS messaging would be important. Some LG phones, and most Samsung phones allow you to block calls and messages directly on the device, but I haven't determined yet if this affects your billing at all.

6 of 21 (75,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2009 7:04:27 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Jul 12, 2009 at 7:09:11 AM

Mister Xiado wrote:

Because the recipient cannot control who sends the text messages. And if the recipient is not on unlimited, these SPAM text messages cost $ that AT&T unjustly enriches themselves upon.

I'm all for capitalism.

If incoming is not free (I'm ok with that), then there has to be a FREE mechanism for consumers to STOP/BLOCK spam messages that takes money out of their pocket without their control, without PAYING AT&T to stop it.

In the current scenario, the consumer EITHER pays for unwanted texts OR the consumer pays AT&T to BLOCK/STOP unwanted texts. This is not a consumer-friendly practice. In the current policy, the consumer has NO recourse whatsoever. This is an unfair business practice. That's why BLOCKING unwanted texts has to be free.

Message Edited by Zandora on 07-12-2009 10:09:11 AM

Mister Xiado wrote:

Because the recipient cannot control who sends the text messages. And if the recipient is not on unlimited, these SPAM text messages cost $ that AT&T unjustly enriches themselves upon.

I'm all for capitalism.

If incoming is not free (I'm ok with that), then there has to be a FREE mechanism for consumers to STOP/BLOCK spam messages that takes money out of their pocket without their control, without PAYING AT&T to stop it.

In the current scenario, the consumer EITHER pays for unwanted texts OR the consumer pays AT&T to BLOCK/STOP unwanted texts. This is not a consumer-friendly practice. In the current policy, the consumer has NO recourse whatsoever. This is an unfair business practice. That's why BLOCKING unwanted texts has to be free.

[ Edited ]
7 of 21 (75,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2009 8:03:29 PM
(0)
Professor
Get a Google Voice account and start giving that number to people instead of your real number. From Google Voice you can block calls and text messages. Tell the people who are sending you the messages you have a new number and give them your Google number... when they start sending it there, you will be able to block it.
Get a Google Voice account and start giving that number to people instead of your real number. From Google Voice you can block calls and text messages. Tell the people who are sending you the messages you have a new number and give them your Google number... when they start sending it there, you will be able to block it.

8 of 21 (75,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2009 6:01:12 AM
(0)
Master

guandalf wrote:

Good solution going forward...but once a person has the "real" number then those msgs can't be blocked (unless you use SmartLimits or 3rd party software).

guandalf wrote:

Good solution going forward...but once a person has the "real" number then those msgs can't be blocked (unless you use SmartLimits or 3rd party software).

9 of 21 (75,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2009 12:06:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Zandora wrote: 

Not true.  We're in America.  We have a flock of lawyers willing to press charges for emotional distress caused by individuals who continually harass AND we have a flock of lawyers willing to pounce on AT&T for refusing to aid in the stopping of harassment.  Last time I checked we have lawyers that'll do anything for a quick buck. 

Zandora wrote: 

Not true.  We're in America.  We have a flock of lawyers willing to press charges for emotional distress caused by individuals who continually harass AND we have a flock of lawyers willing to pounce on AT&T for refusing to aid in the stopping of harassment.  Last time I checked we have lawyers that'll do anything for a quick buck. 

10 of 21 (75,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2009 2:05:38 PM
(0)
Master

bluetruth wrote:

Zandora wrote: 

Puh-lease...This should not rise to the level where lawyers need to get involved.

It's basic fairness. I'm willing to bet this is one issue that the BBB could get involved in. Because this is a basic unfair practice.

However, I don't sign up for anything with my cell phone number and I'm not so young that I would be victim of cell phone spamming or harassment when a relationship goes sour.

I also don't need texting to stay connected to my friends. So I could simply block texting altogether from my phone should that happen.

I personally have options that I can exercise. I just feel bad for those who are in a darned-if-you-do and darned-if-you-don't situation.

bluetruth wrote:

Zandora wrote: 

Puh-lease...This should not rise to the level where lawyers need to get involved.

It's basic fairness. I'm willing to bet this is one issue that the BBB could get involved in. Because this is a basic unfair practice.

However, I don't sign up for anything with my cell phone number and I'm not so young that I would be victim of cell phone spamming or harassment when a relationship goes sour.

I also don't need texting to stay connected to my friends. So I could simply block texting altogether from my phone should that happen.

I personally have options that I can exercise. I just feel bad for those who are in a darned-if-you-do and darned-if-you-don't situation.

11 of 21 (61,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2009 6:22:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

guandalf wrote:

Except that google voice is available by invite only.

I think I would be better off blocking text completely on my cell phone. I still don't know how that can be done.

guandalf wrote:

I think I would be better off blocking text completely on my cell phone. I still don't know how that can be done.

12 of 21 (61,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2009 1:39:14 PM
(0)
Master

abhijit74 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Call customer service at 611 from your cell and ask that they "restrict Texting and MMS" from your line.

abhijit74 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Call customer service at 611 from your cell and ask that they "restrict Texting and MMS" from your line.

13 of 21 (61,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2009 5:27:21 PM
(0)
Teacher
Seriously?  All this talk of lawyers and BBB because of silliness?  First of all, If you are seriously being harassed then that is an issue for your local police dept... not AT&T.   Secondly, there is the free option of blocking text messaging all together, which I would never do.  But if you let the people bugging you know that you are filing a complaint with the police and intend to hit them up for the cost of the text messages and emotional distress (lol) they might stop.  Also, Smart Limits is $4.99/mo and you can block up to 15 numbers from calling or texting you.  Also, You can change your number.  And yes, there's a fee for that too... How about we all grow up and not hand out your numbers to ppl who have no business having it.
Seriously?  All this talk of lawyers and BBB because of silliness?  First of all, If you are seriously being harassed then that is an issue for your local police dept... not AT&T.   Secondly, there is the free option of blocking text messaging all together, which I would never do.  But if you let the people bugging you know that you are filing a complaint with the police and intend to hit them up for the cost of the text messages and emotional distress (lol) they might stop.  Also, Smart Limits is $4.99/mo and you can block up to 15 numbers from calling or texting you.  Also, You can change your number.  And yes, there's a fee for that too... How about we all grow up and not hand out your numbers to ppl who have no business having it.

14 of 21 (61,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 7:59:30 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have Google Voice and its the best thing that ever happened in the telephone industry in the past 3 years. So many features like sms from your pc, block unwanted callers, add all your telephones, choose what times the phones could ring like it wont ring from 11pm to 7am or something like that. Also you can make free calls anywhere in the US like on your landline. Just call your Google Voice number from one of your phones you added press 2 and make your call. If ATT had the Fave 5 or 10 Friends and Families like Verizon you could just get the cheapest plan and make unlimited calls by using your Google Voice number.
I have Google Voice and its the best thing that ever happened in the telephone industry in the past 3 years. So many features like sms from your pc, block unwanted callers, add all your telephones, choose what times the phones could ring like it wont ring from 11pm to 7am or something like that. Also you can make free calls anywhere in the US like on your landline. Just call your Google Voice number from one of your phones you added press 2 and make your call. If ATT had the Fave 5 or 10 Friends and Families like Verizon you could just get the cheapest plan and make unlimited calls by using your Google Voice number.

15 of 21 (61,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 3:02:33 AM
(0)
Professor
I say pay the $5 for the first month. More than likely they will stop after a few days, and probably won't try again. If it continues after the first month, then I would call the police for harassment. For you to drop the charges make him pay for your change of number, any text charges you have received, and the $5 for smart limits for that month. Smiley Happy
I say pay the $5 for the first month. More than likely they will stop after a few days, and probably won't try again. If it continues after the first month, then I would call the police for harassment. For you to drop the charges make him pay for your change of number, any text charges you have received, and the $5 for smart limits for that month. Smiley Happy

16 of 21 (61,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 12:42:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am getting texts from people I didn't give my number to. I assume they typo'ed it into their phone and now they insist they know me though they dont know my name.

$5.00 a month to blosk people I don't even know.......Bummer....Oh well.

Such is life.

I am getting texts from people I didn't give my number to. I assume they typo'ed it into their phone and now they insist they know me though they dont know my name.

$5.00 a month to blosk people I don't even know.......Bummer....Oh well.

Such is life.

17 of 21 (58,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 5:35:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Go to mymessages.wireless.att.com and manage ur SMS/ text message receiving options and filter. I think american telephone and telegraph company doesnt want customers to know that you can do all those filters by yourself and for free. Sign up for new acct using ur cellphone number and a passwd. I have been using this for the last 2 yrs and no marketing SMS afterwards.

Thanks

Matt

Go to mymessages.wireless.att.com and manage ur SMS/ text message receiving options and filter. I think american telephone and telegraph company doesnt want customers to know that you can do all those filters by yourself and for free. Sign up for new acct using ur cellphone number and a passwd. I have been using this for the last 2 yrs and no marketing SMS afterwards.

Thanks

Matt

18 of 21 (56,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 12:38:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Mar 30, 2012 at 12:43:53 PM

THIS POLICY IS OFFENDING in every way.

So I came from Europe, where no one could IMAGINE paying for receiving SMS. And I am here in the US for the first time, on a business trip.

I buy a 10$ phone and throw 30$ credit on it. Now, three weeks later all my credit is gone even though i used up only 20$. I only gave the number to a few business associates, but i received TONS of crappy advertisement. Well... it turns out AT&T gave me a previously used number that belonged to a one-neuron molusque who signed up for everything. AND that they are have the INCREDIBLE LACK OF RESPECT of charging me 20 cents for SMS i receive.

Who runs this country? You guys might be used to eating crap and calling it freedom, but i'm telling you - this is SO wrong.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

THIS POLICY IS OFFENDING in every way.

So I came from Europe, where no one could IMAGINE paying for receiving SMS. And I am here in the US for the first time, on a business trip.

I buy a 10$ phone and throw 30$ credit on it. Now, three weeks later all my credit is gone even though i used up only 20$. I only gave the number to a few business associates, but i received TONS of crappy advertisement. Well... it turns out AT&T gave me a previously used number that belonged to a one-neuron molusque who signed up for everything. AND that they are have the INCREDIBLE LACK OF RESPECT of charging me 20 cents for SMS i receive.

Who runs this country? You guys might be used to eating crap and calling it freedom, but i'm telling you - this is SO wrong.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
19 of 21 (52,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 7:27:52 PM
(0)
Professor

Way to hijack a thread, fellas. Seriously.

Way to hijack a thread, fellas. Seriously.

20 of 21 (52,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 7:46:24 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed, as it is very old. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed, as it is very old. 

21 of 21 (52,307 Views)