Blackjack II Ringtones above 300kb - here's the hack

Blackjack II Ringtones above 300kb - here's the hack

OK - I have been looking for this for a long time so here it is. I Just got this working and it works perfectly.  You can now play standard MP3 files on your Blackjack II without conversion, regarless of size! 

1. You need a regedit program so download and install one.  I got one here.
  2. Go into HKEY_Current User → ControlPanel → Sounds
  3. Then hit the "Values" button to display the values
  4. Delete the key of FileSizeLimit
Presto!  Now you can use your MP3s as ringtones without modification.

Message 1 of 252
Mentor

Re: Blackjack II Ringtones above 300kb - here's the hack

Ok,

i did the above regedit and I got an error when trying to use a mp3 as a ringer, so I figured out another way to fix it. you actually done have to delete the key. You can go in and change the value to something higher than what is in the key right now, I changed my key value to 4080000 and it allowed me to use one of my 3 meg songs as a ringer just fine.

you will still need the registry edit program to do this, but if you get the error you will have to make a new key using DWORD and call it FileSizeLimit and put a value in there higher than what the phone will see on your mp3's.
Message 46 of 252
Contributor

Okay.  I'm missing something.  Or I'm just dense.  I didn't seem to have any problems with performing the steps at the beginning of the thread, but I don't know how my MP3s should be showing up.  They're not with the regular phone ringtones.  ????
Message 47 of 252
Teacher

This worked perfectly, except I used MOBILE REGISTRY EDITOR v1.1.   Also instead of deleting the file I changed its value to 10240000.  I then uploaded an MP3 from my computer into the My Sounds folder and selected it and hit menu > set as > ringtone.

Thanks for this "hack" guys.
Message 48 of 252
Contributor

So I have successfully modified the filesize key to 16000000 using the reg editor... But I cant get any instance of a right click menu item to "set as" ringtone on my storage card...  Help???

thanks

Message 49 of 252
Contributor

Okay... I get the ption to choose them if i put them in the /app data/***/sounds folder, but no option to right click set as in the folders themselves...

weird.

works though!!! thx!!!

Message 50 of 252
Teacher

I may be missing something but how does an MSI file install on WM 6?  I can sync it up onto my device okay but WinMo 6 doesn't recognizethe app type...

Also, the Mobile Registry editor 1.1 listed in another part of this thread requires .Net 1.1... Does WinMo 6 come at the .net 1.1. level preinstalled or does microsoft distribute the runtime seperate?

Either way, as a long time Windows user, this mobile environment is new to me and just getting a registry editor installed, which I would love to have!!!, is hard enough.

Any help?

A side note, maybe a good tutorial site about running Winmo 6, installing Apps on it, modifying it....
  (if you can tell me how to reorder the applications on the Start menu, i'm buying the beers!!!!)
Message 51 of 252
Contributor

I registered with the forum just to confirm this and thank you for it. I downloaded mobile registry editor v. 1.1, went into current user/control panel/sounds, double clicked on the filesizelimit value and switched it to ten megs, then left. I set my ringtones through the mysounds folder, using the menu option 'set as.' Worked without a hitch, took about two seconds, totally hassle free. Thanks again!
Message 52 of 252
Contributor

when i download the regedit and it is almost done, a add/remove programs box pops up and says that "There are no device-compatible programs available" and "Note: That if a program that you have installed is not listed, the program was not designed to be used on your mobile device"... what am i doin wrong guys?? using the BlackJack II
Message 53 of 252
Teacher

I DLed the mobile registry editor v. 1.1 too and it was a cinch.  Had to set it to 10,000,000 instead of 0 but then it worked fine.  Nice info, thanks!
Message 54 of 252
Tutor

how do you put mp3's on your blackjack II anyways?
like i understand how to sync it, but is there an option to make an mp3 into a ringtone?
i did all the registry things.
Message 55 of 252
Explorer

Use media player to transfer music from your laptop/desktop to the My Sounds directory on your phone.  Instructions are in your "Getting Started Guide".

Ringtones can only be assigned to contacts in the Outlook contact format...not the SIM format.  Open the contact and scroll down to ringtone and pick the one you want from My Sounds
Message 56 of 252
Tutor

cool, i got it working! thanks!

but i can't seem to get some songs synced, and i think it's because of windows media player.
i'm an avid itunes user, so the media player is not really my forté.
the media player says that it cannot play this file, but i've done other files that work just fine.
any help would be appreciated.
Message 57 of 252
Contributor

hey im having problems with the program too it says no devices are not compatible in the add or remove box so i'm stuck a lil help would be nice

Message Edited by chubbspbs on 12-31-2007 03:56:49 PM
Message 58 of 252
Contributor

Ok Captain America, I'm an older woman whom received a BlackJack II for Christmas.  I have tried to follow your great thread however I am not in any way/shape/form computer knowledgeable .  I went into my PC-Control Panel-Sounds & Audio Devices and I am not finding where to locate the Key thing you speak of.  Please if you could repost step-by-step instructions, I would, if applicable send dollars your way, and if not, Kudos~hugs/Kisses~Happy New Year!!! 

An ol'woman sailor
Message 59 of 252
Contributor

I downloaded Total Commander but I can't seem to find the HKEY folder.  Is there a step missing here?  I can't seem to put all the pieces together here as easy as it appears to be
Message 60 of 252
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support