Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 20, 2011
6:38:49 AM
View profile
Blackberry Torch Update causing data usage havoc and not logging m2am minutes
Edited by Christy1448 on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:45:50 AM

Blackberry forced me to update just prior to this billing cycle. A week in to the cycle I got a text saying I was close to using my data usage plan. I have WiFi at home and at work and I switched to ATT from T-Mobile in Sept. 2010. I paid $600.00 to get out of T-Mobile contracts. I have not been over my data plan or had any billing issues until this billing cycle.

When I recieved the text about the data usage I was dumbfounded. My phone had been off most of the day because it was dead and I was plugging in my car to make short calls or text and going back to class. When I received the text I called customer care and got a clueless tweenager on the phone. She walked me through checking to see if anything was open, all the while insisting I was using the internet. There was nothing open but I humored her. I did notice that the browser had changed format. That was the firstime I had attempted to use the internet other than facebook since the update. I had data left and assured her nothing was open but maybe I had accidently set something off. But since I rarely used internet services it should not be an issue. Wow, the next morning I get a text that I have been charged an additional $15.00 for data. I called ATT and immediately ask for a supervisor and promptly let them know I had no problem paying cancellation fees and going with Verizon for unlimited data to avoid these charges. I advised them if another data charge was on my phone this month I would cancel and that I expected them to correct the problem and take these charges off. I was assured a ticked was opened and I would receive a call by four-thirty the following day advising me of what was causing these issues. The next day my friend and I looked through the phone and verified nothing was open and the phone was turned on and off during the day to make sure no data was being used. Before 10AM I had used another 200MB and gotten another $15.00 charge. I called ATT explained all of the above and was told no ticket had been opened. I was livid. I asked for a supervisor and got a smart (well you know) on the phone who advised me since I used FB that was probably using all my data. I immediately told him to cancel my account. I then got a nice intelligent person who promised to open a ticket and call me at four-thirty about my phone. Five oclock rolls around and no call. I call back get a supervisor on the phone who can't tell me what is going on but assures me she will walk me through it. She was no help in figuring out what was going on but a co-worker heard her conversation and said it was the update and I needed to change settings. This did not work and I have turned off my data services from my phone. She did take away the charges and change my plan to the 2Gig plan for this billing cycle. She advised me to look on my data usage on My ATT account. I did and in the middle of the night when I am definatley on WiFi I get Blackberry.Net Internet/MEdia Net sending up to 618KB of data and all the times I turned my phone on and off and various other times when I was definately on WiFi. I am done talking to ATT and will probably cancel my account when I have researched other companies plans. Until then I have my data services turned off. ATT simply can't get it through there heads I have not done anything differently than I have the entire time I have had the phone but all of a sudden I am being charged with tons of data. That is not the end of the story. When I went online to view my data I viewed my minute usage. I noticed a lot of cells and even one under my own account were not being logged as cell to cell which is free on my plan. I had another tweenager tell me that her screen showed something different. I went insane and she finally agreed I was right after telling me incoming cells weren't free and I then pointed out all the ones that were being billed correctly, were free incoming and outgoing, she apologized and gave me rollover minutes. She promised to open a ticket, ha. As of today I haven't heard anything and the cell under my account and a few other cells are still being logged as land lines. Right now I have plenty of rollover minutes so NBD. Any suggentions to which company doesn't suck.

Blackberry forced me to update just prior to this billing cycle. A week in to the cycle I got a text saying I was close to using my data usage plan. I have WiFi at home and at work and I switched to ATT from T-Mobile in Sept. 2010. I paid $600.00 to get out of T-Mobile contracts. I have not been over my data plan or had any billing issues until this billing cycle.

When I recieved the text about the data usage I was dumbfounded. My phone had been off most of the day because it was dead and I was plugging in my car to make short calls or text and going back to class. When I received the text I called customer care and got a clueless tweenager on the phone. She walked me through checking to see if anything was open, all the while insisting I was using the internet. There was nothing open but I humored her. I did notice that the browser had changed format. That was the firstime I had attempted to use the internet other than facebook since the update. I had data left and assured her nothing was open but maybe I had accidently set something off. But since I rarely used internet services it should not be an issue. Wow, the next morning I get a text that I have been charged an additional $15.00 for data. I called ATT and immediately ask for a supervisor and promptly let them know I had no problem paying cancellation fees and going with Verizon for unlimited data to avoid these charges. I advised them if another data charge was on my phone this month I would cancel and that I expected them to correct the problem and take these charges off. I was assured a ticked was opened and I would receive a call by four-thirty the following day advising me of what was causing these issues. The next day my friend and I looked through the phone and verified nothing was open and the phone was turned on and off during the day to make sure no data was being used. Before 10AM I had used another 200MB and gotten another $15.00 charge. I called ATT explained all of the above and was told no ticket had been opened. I was livid. I asked for a supervisor and got a smart (well you know) on the phone who advised me since I used FB that was probably using all my data. I immediately told him to cancel my account. I then got a nice intelligent person who promised to open a ticket and call me at four-thirty about my phone. Five oclock rolls around and no call. I call back get a supervisor on the phone who can't tell me what is going on but assures me she will walk me through it. She was no help in figuring out what was going on but a co-worker heard her conversation and said it was the update and I needed to change settings. This did not work and I have turned off my data services from my phone. She did take away the charges and change my plan to the 2Gig plan for this billing cycle. She advised me to look on my data usage on My ATT account. I did and in the middle of the night when I am definatley on WiFi I get Blackberry.Net Internet/MEdia Net sending up to 618KB of data and all the times I turned my phone on and off and various other times when I was definately on WiFi. I am done talking to ATT and will probably cancel my account when I have researched other companies plans. Until then I have my data services turned off. ATT simply can't get it through there heads I have not done anything differently than I have the entire time I have had the phone but all of a sudden I am being charged with tons of data. That is not the end of the story. When I went online to view my data I viewed my minute usage. I noticed a lot of cells and even one under my own account were not being logged as cell to cell which is free on my plan. I had another tweenager tell me that her screen showed something different. I went insane and she finally agreed I was right after telling me incoming cells weren't free and I then pointed out all the ones that were being billed correctly, were free incoming and outgoing, she apologized and gave me rollover minutes. She promised to open a ticket, ha. As of today I haven't heard anything and the cell under my account and a few other cells are still being logged as land lines. Right now I have plenty of rollover minutes so NBD. Any suggentions to which company doesn't suck.

Blackberry Torch Update causing data usage havoc and not logging m2am minutes

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 8:00:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hello,

I apologize for your troubles, there may have been a miscommunication when you were signing up for your plan.

First, with your minutes not all cell phone to cell phone calls are free, AT&T calls it mobile-to-mobile calls which are free when you are calling someone that is on the AT&T network. For example, if you were to call someone that has T-Mobile, it will use your minutes because that person does not AT&T, versus when someone you are calling has AT&T that is considered mobile-to-mobile and is free, it will still catalog the minutes but is still essentially free.

As for your data, a 200mb plan for any smartphone device is a no go, even for a BlackBerry. BlackBerry devices, the data going to and from the device is heavily compressed and encrypted, in other words, its compacted as small as it could be while also being secure. The supervisor who was trying to blame Facebook as a root cause for your data issues should be fired or go through an AT&T-Blackberry training. With a 2GB plan you would be fine, your wifi issue,  your device will choose which signal is faster when handling data, that may have been the issue. I would suggest using a laptop next time you choose to update your device, I have never done an over-the-air (OTA) update, because of the signal is not the best in my area and have relied on my laptop and internet at home.

I hope that helps.

If you have any BlackBerry issues I'd recommend hitting the forums at crackberry.com. Theres a lot of interesting information there and tutorials. 

Hello,

I apologize for your troubles, there may have been a miscommunication when you were signing up for your plan.

First, with your minutes not all cell phone to cell phone calls are free, AT&T calls it mobile-to-mobile calls which are free when you are calling someone that is on the AT&T network. For example, if you were to call someone that has T-Mobile, it will use your minutes because that person does not AT&T, versus when someone you are calling has AT&T that is considered mobile-to-mobile and is free, it will still catalog the minutes but is still essentially free.

As for your data, a 200mb plan for any smartphone device is a no go, even for a BlackBerry. BlackBerry devices, the data going to and from the device is heavily compressed and encrypted, in other words, its compacted as small as it could be while also being secure. The supervisor who was trying to blame Facebook as a root cause for your data issues should be fired or go through an AT&T-Blackberry training. With a 2GB plan you would be fine, your wifi issue,  your device will choose which signal is faster when handling data, that may have been the issue. I would suggest using a laptop next time you choose to update your device, I have never done an over-the-air (OTA) update, because of the signal is not the best in my area and have relied on my laptop and internet at home.

I hope that helps.

If you have any BlackBerry issues I'd recommend hitting the forums at crackberry.com. Theres a lot of interesting information there and tutorials. 

Re: Blackberry Torch Update causing data usage havoc and not logging m2am minutes

2 of 4 (854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2011 9:46:29 PM
(0)
Professor

cl8baller wrote:

Hello,

I hope that helps.

+1 on this information. However, I would also check out blackberryos.com as well as crackberry.com, for the same reasons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

cl8baller wrote:

Hello,

I hope that helps.

+1 on this information. However, I would also check out blackberryos.com as well as crackberry.com, for the same reasons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

Re: Blackberry Torch Update causing data usage havoc and not logging m2am minutes

3 of 4 (839 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2011 1:25:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

thanks for this reply

thanks for this reply

4 of 4 (836 Views)