Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 20, 2010
11:30:37 PM
View profile
Blackberry Torch Tethering

I just got my blackberry torch today, and wonder how do I make it a wireless modem to use in my dorm room?

I just got my blackberry torch today, and wonder how do I make it a wireless modem to use in my dorm room?

Blackberry Torch Tethering

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 4:55:48 AM
(0)
Expert

The manual that came with the phone will be able to tell you how to set it up. Be aware that tethering is not free, you are required to have the 2GB data plan @ 25.00 a month and you need the 20.00 tethering plan added to your account, so 45.00 for a 2gb tethering plan wiht a low data cap

The manual that came with the phone will be able to tell you how to set it up. Be aware that tethering is not free, you are required to have the 2GB data plan @ 25.00 a month and you need the 20.00 tethering plan added to your account, so 45.00 for a 2gb tethering plan wiht a low data cap

Re: Blackberry Torch Tethering

2 of 9 (34,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 9:10:24 AM
(0)
Guru
I haven't found that option on the phone. Guessing because its not there. AT&T pretty much removes the tethering options from their phones now days. They let slip by on the Captivate, but the new ROM that's in the works removes it.
I haven't found that option on the phone. Guessing because its not there. AT&T pretty much removes the tethering options from their phones now days. They let slip by on the Captivate, but the new ROM that's in the works removes it.

3 of 9 (34,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 9:33:10 AM
(0)
Expert

davidusr wrote:

30 seconds of searching the RIM website

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/18596/Connect_to_Internet_with_device_as...

ATT just brought a universal tethering charge that can be added to the 2gb data plan, so that pretty much disproves the theory of then removing tethering options on the phone

davidusr wrote:

30 seconds of searching the RIM website

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/18596/Connect_to_Internet_with_device_as_modem_6.0_1185802_11.jsp

ATT just brought a universal tethering charge that can be added to the 2gb data plan, so that pretty much disproves the theory of then removing tethering options on the phone

4 of 9 (34,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 10:01:42 AM
(0)
Guru
You are correct Wing. What I should have said, and what I meant is, the option is not there unless you pay for it. Just tried what the directions stated and the option is not in the desktop software, because the phone is not properly setup, because I don't have a tethering plan. They have it setup so you can't tether without the appropriate plan. I don't blame them.
You are correct Wing. What I should have said, and what I meant is, the option is not there unless you pay for it. Just tried what the directions stated and the option is not in the desktop software, because the phone is not properly setup, because I don't have a tethering plan. They have it setup so you can't tether without the appropriate plan. I don't blame them.

5 of 9 (34,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 10:39:55 AM
(0)
Expert

davidusr wrote:

No tier 1/2 provider allowed tehtering without paying additional charges for it, so they are not any different

davidusr wrote:

No tier 1/2 provider allowed tehtering without paying additional charges for it, so they are not any different

6 of 9 (34,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2010 12:07:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wrong.  I have the tethering plan, but tethering is still disabled in the Blackberry Desktop.

This has been true with every Blackberry device I have had from AT&T.  AT&T has RIM disable the option in the configuration file (at least for past versions of Blackberry Desktop).  You have to edit a hex file to enable it (that is the only way I got the option to appear in Desktop 5).  I have not yet found the hack for Desktop 6 but I am sure it will be discovered soon enough.

Shame on AT&T.

Wrong.  I have the tethering plan, but tethering is still disabled in the Blackberry Desktop.

This has been true with every Blackberry device I have had from AT&T.  AT&T has RIM disable the option in the configuration file (at least for past versions of Blackberry Desktop).  You have to edit a hex file to enable it (that is the only way I got the option to appear in Desktop 5).  I have not yet found the hack for Desktop 6 but I am sure it will be discovered soon enough.

Shame on AT&T.

7 of 9 (34,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2010 5:26:04 AM
(0)
Expert

jsnorman wrote:

Shame on AT&T.

what ever floats your boat, seems kind of strange that they always sold the tethering plan for these things but they are locked out form tethering.

http://www.letstalk.com/att-blackberry-personal-tethering

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/communication-manager/tethered-... (note at the bottom of this list the bold and the torch are listed and it has a download for the required tethering software)

jsnorman wrote:

Shame on AT&T.

what ever floats your boat, seems kind of strange that they always sold the tethering plan for these things but they are locked out form tethering.

http://www.letstalk.com/att-blackberry-personal-tethering

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/communication-manager/tethered-smartphones.jsp (note at the bottom of this list the bold and the torch are listed and it has a download for the required tethering software)

8 of 9 (34,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 5:07:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just got off the phone with AT&T trying to add the tethering package to my BB Torch 9800 and was told the phone type would not allow this service. Anyone know why?

Just got off the phone with AT&T trying to add the tethering package to my BB Torch 9800 and was told the phone type would not allow this service. Anyone know why?

9 of 9 (11,773 Views)