Ask a question

Posted Aug 11, 2008
    1:57:14 PM
    View profile
    Blackberry Personal Data Plan Question - Help!
    Hello!
    My question is the following:

Does the blackberry personal data plan which is $30.00 montly include internet, or is it only messaging and e-mail?
    What can I do to have internet, messaging, and e-mail all together on my phone and for how much?
    I would really appreciate your answer!
    Thank you very much.

Blackberry Personal Data Plan Question - Help!

10 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (10)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 11, 2008 2:07:57 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    The data plan only includes internet access and e-mail, messages (text, multimedia, and IM) are seperate...

200 messages = $5/month
    1500 messages = $ 15/month
    UNL messages = $20/month

...and this is on top of your data and voice plan

Re: Blackberry Personal Data Plan Question - Help!

2 of 11 (5,998 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 11, 2008 8:45:44 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    I also have a question related to the previous.

If you get media net unlimited doesn't that include texting and internet access?  If you can browse the internet with that, then why get the blackberry one? 
    I am really confused as to which ones include what.  Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

3 of 11 (5,940 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 11, 2008 8:47:26 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    MediaNet data packages do not work on BlackBerry devices.

Ben

4 of 11 (5,937 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 11, 2008 8:57:54 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Wow,  wish I would have found this forum before I bought the blackberry.  It's really expensive to have this phone.  Smiley Sad  My old motorola could send pics in text messages witout me having to buy a data plan!  That was 3 years ago!

5 of 11 (5,936 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 11, 2008 9:56:52 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Lora1981 wrote:
    Wow,  wish I would have found this forum before I bought the blackberry.  It's really expensive to have this phone.  Smiley Sad  My old motorola could send pics in text messages witout me having to buy a data plan!  That was 3 years ago!

Think of it like a sports car, you've got to put premium in it in order to get the most out of it. Fortunately, the BlackBerry now takes regular, but of course there is a catch.  In order to use MediaNet and MMS, you need to have BlackBerry handheld software 4.3 or later installed on the BlackBerry, and right now only the BlackBerry Pearl 8110 is available with this handheld software version.  The bright side is that in order to take advantage of the features included in BIS 2.5, like HTML E-mail, AT&T will have to release handheld software 4.5 for their devices which will also include the features that I spoke about above.  Only problem is that no one knows when that will be. Smiley Sad

P.S.
    Woot!  100th post!

6 of 11 (5,929 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2008 4:04:26 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    As much as RIM is trying to capture more of the consumer market, the BB is primarily geared to a business user. $30/mo can be expensive to some people who don't use the device for their job. It's even more if you're on an Enterprise plan which is $45/mo or if you add a messaging plan. The BB is full of features and while you can use it without a data plan it's like buying an expensive car and not using the Nav system or the CD Changer.

BJ

Lora1981 wrote:

7 of 11 (5,903 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2008 8:46:21 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by takeshi on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:46:58 AM
    It's a bit more like buying a very expensive and very offroad capable SUV that is only ever used for solo commuting and occasional grocery trips, IMO. Smiley Wink

Yes, it is expensive if you aren't using the product as intended.

Message Edited by takeshi on 08-12-2008 08:46:58 AM

[ Edited ]
    8 of 11 (5,853 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2008 8:12:04 AM
    (0)
    Master
    Edited by Zandora on Aug 15, 2008 at 8:12:30 AM

Lora1981 wrote:

If you purchased your phone less than 30 days ago, you can exercise your buyer's remorse privilege and return it and get a non-blackberry phone.

If you upgraded to the blackberry for the qwerty keyboard, you might want to return it and get a Blackjack instead. The BJ doesn't come in pretty colors, but it gives you a qwerty keyboard AND you can SMS/MMS without a data plan (like your old motorola).

The only caveat is that if you do eventually want to add a data plan so that you can surf and check emails on the phone, the BJ's data plan is also $30/month. Of course, you don't actually *need* a data plan on the BJ to check emails or surf, in which case you would be paying per use at $0.01 per kb = $10.24 per mb...so it adds up fast!

Message Edited by csp_gp on 08-15-2008 08:12:30 AM
    Posted from my Samsung Captivate

[ Edited ]
    9 of 11 (5,635 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2008 8:35:29 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    MediaNet data packages do not work on BlackBerry devices.

Ben

This isn't true.

10 of 11 (5,630 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2008 10:34:24 AM
    (0)
    Former Moderator

secondhand1 wrote:
    MediaNet data packages do not work on BlackBerry devices if you follow the terms and conditions ethically, in an effort to avoid repercussions for violation of said terms.

Ben

This isn't true.

What about now?

Friendly reminder: Endorsing or promoting the improper use of an AT&T plan or service is against the guidelines which were agreed upon when a user registers. Violation of this guideline can and will likely result in the permanent removal of posting permissions. Since the OP has already received there answer, this thread will be closed.

Thanks to everyone who participated in providing accurate information.

11 of 11 (2,379 Views)