Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 5, 2008
11:32:51 AM
View profile
Blackberry Pearl 8110 or 8120
Hello, does anyone have any information on when either one of the phones will be available?  My contract will expire in mid feb and I am tryign to decide if I should wait or go with another carrier.    Thanks. 
Hello, does anyone have any information on when either one of the phones will be available?  My contract will expire in mid feb and I am tryign to decide if I should wait or go with another carrier.    Thanks. 

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2008 12:37:28 PM
(0)
Professor
Probably not. The 8130 is CDMA, so definately not.
Probably not. The 8130 is CDMA, so definately not.

Re: Blackberry Pearl 8110 or 8120

2 of 19 (5,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2008 4:52:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hello, does anyone have any idea when one of these phones will be released for ATT?  My contract is about to expire and I am seriously thinking about switching to Verizon so I can buy the 8130.   I keep reading on the internet that ATT is going to be getting a new Pearl but when I ask them, they seem to know nothing about it.  Why is that?   Is it because they want to sell the old 2006 models first?   Every time I ask a rep they try to offer me the old pearl.   I just want a straight answer so I can make an infomed decision.    I don't want that old thing, if I am going to sign a two year contract, I want a new phone.    Thanks.
Hello, does anyone have any idea when one of these phones will be released for ATT?  My contract is about to expire and I am seriously thinking about switching to Verizon so I can buy the 8130.   I keep reading on the internet that ATT is going to be getting a new Pearl but when I ask them, they seem to know nothing about it.  Why is that?   Is it because they want to sell the old 2006 models first?   Every time I ask a rep they try to offer me the old pearl.   I just want a straight answer so I can make an infomed decision.    I don't want that old thing, if I am going to sign a two year contract, I want a new phone.    Thanks.

3 of 19 (5,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2008 6:49:43 PM
(0)
Teacher
I am waiting for the same thing.  With all my surfing, it seems some folks are "guesstimating" a release of 18 Feb 08.  Even if not that date, I'll wait until the end of Feb and see what comes.  I already got messed over with the BJ1 - BJ2 fiasco, and I get so tired of having yesterday's technology pawned off on me my unscrupulous salespeople -- every one of which I am sure knows the EXACT release date of the ATT version of the Pearl 2.
I am waiting for the same thing.  With all my surfing, it seems some folks are "guesstimating" a release of 18 Feb 08.  Even if not that date, I'll wait until the end of Feb and see what comes.  I already got messed over with the BJ1 - BJ2 fiasco, and I get so tired of having yesterday's technology pawned off on me my unscrupulous salespeople -- every one of which I am sure knows the EXACT release date of the ATT version of the Pearl 2.

4 of 19 (5,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2008 7:12:17 PM
(0)
Expert
The first question is when do you qualify for an upgrade?  The second, if you are happy with your current service, I would say wait it out a bit and get the version from AT&T.  I just do not like what VZW does with their units by disabeling certain hardware features and would for sure wait for the AT&T version.  Based on what I have read, the AT&T version will even be better in specs and it could very well be with the 4.5 OS.  So hold off a bit.
The first question is when do you qualify for an upgrade?  The second, if you are happy with your current service, I would say wait it out a bit and get the version from AT&T.  I just do not like what VZW does with their units by disabeling certain hardware features and would for sure wait for the AT&T version.  Based on what I have read, the AT&T version will even be better in specs and it could very well be with the 4.5 OS.  So hold off a bit.

5 of 19 (5,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 9:34:46 AM
(0)
Tutor
Hello,  I qualify for an upgrade right now.   My contract expires on Feb 14th.   I don't mind waiting a little bit but how long is a little bit?   Days, Months?    I agree with the Shirt,   I feel like they know exactly when the phone is going to come out but they don't want to tell us and that makes me mad enough to go with another carrier.   I like ATT but I don't like their games.   If the phone is supposed ot come out in Feb I would think someone that works there would know.

Shirt, will you stay in touch and let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same please?

Sheik,  how long do you think I should wait?    Thanks everyone. 
Hello,  I qualify for an upgrade right now.   My contract expires on Feb 14th.   I don't mind waiting a little bit but how long is a little bit?   Days, Months?    I agree with the Shirt,   I feel like they know exactly when the phone is going to come out but they don't want to tell us and that makes me mad enough to go with another carrier.   I like ATT but I don't like their games.   If the phone is supposed ot come out in Feb I would think someone that works there would know.

Shirt, will you stay in touch and let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same please?

Sheik,  how long do you think I should wait?    Thanks everyone. 

6 of 19 (5,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 10:42:30 AM
(0)
Teacher
If I come across anything that isn't rumor or speculation, I'll post it here. 
If I come across anything that isn't rumor or speculation, I'll post it here. 

7 of 19 (5,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 11:17:44 AM
(0)
Tutor
are you going to stay with ATT and wait or get a different phone or are you thinking of going to another carrier? 
are you going to stay with ATT and wait or get a different phone or are you thinking of going to another carrier? 

8 of 19 (5,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 11:30:43 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by takeshi on Feb 7, 2008 at 11:32:58 AM
Neither one is a realistic option if you're looking to upgrade that quickly.  There is no word and, more importantly, no official announcement from at&t (usually a few weeks before release).

newfan wrote:
I like ATT but I don't like their games.

Product testing takes time.  Issues and bugs don't adhere to schedules.  The carriers don't make announcments until they have a pretty good diea of when they intend to release a product and even those dates can slip.  If there's not an official release announcement now then don't count on it for a February upgrade.

Message Edited by takeshi on 02-07-2008 11:32:58 AM
Neither one is a realistic option if you're looking to upgrade that quickly.  There is no word and, more importantly, no official announcement from at&t (usually a few weeks before release).

newfan wrote:

Product testing takes time.  Issues and bugs don't adhere to schedules.  The carriers don't make announcments until they have a pretty good diea of when they intend to release a product and even those dates can slip.  If there's not an official release announcement now then don't count on it for a February upgrade.

[ Edited ]
9 of 19 (5,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 2:27:32 PM
(0)
Contributor
Engadget is pretty confident the 8120 will premiere Feb. 18 at TMO.  I had to get out of a contract quickly from Verizon since I had purchased a Blackberry 8130 from them and hated it (within the 30 day return policy).  Why did I hate it?  Well, Verizon blocks out the GPS feature on the handset, and makes you pay $10 a month for their ridiculous VZ Navigator (which by the way doesn't even fully utilize the device's GPS feature).  That was just the straw that broke the camel's back.  They do that to all of their phones - they cripple the phone's capability by adding their horrible "red" firmware.  I decided I wasn't going to support their shenanigans, and switched to TMO.  Unfortunately, they do no have the BB 8120 yet - but if all goes well, I can return my 8100 for the 8120 before T-Mobile's return policy is up.  I'm surprised at how much better their service is too!  If ATT had the 8110 available, I would've decided on them - as long as the GPS feature wasn't disabled.
Engadget is pretty confident the 8120 will premiere Feb. 18 at TMO.  I had to get out of a contract quickly from Verizon since I had purchased a Blackberry 8130 from them and hated it (within the 30 day return policy).  Why did I hate it?  Well, Verizon blocks out the GPS feature on the handset, and makes you pay $10 a month for their ridiculous VZ Navigator (which by the way doesn't even fully utilize the device's GPS feature).  That was just the straw that broke the camel's back.  They do that to all of their phones - they cripple the phone's capability by adding their horrible "red" firmware.  I decided I wasn't going to support their shenanigans, and switched to TMO.  Unfortunately, they do no have the BB 8120 yet - but if all goes well, I can return my 8100 for the 8120 before T-Mobile's return policy is up.  I'm surprised at how much better their service is too!  If ATT had the 8110 available, I would've decided on them - as long as the GPS feature wasn't disabled.

10 of 19 (5,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 3:37:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'll stay will ATT because my company gets me Premiere discounts on both phones and monthly service.  If for some reason ATT doesn't get the Pearl 2, I can just as easily lean towards the Curve, although I am after the smaller form factor of the Pearl.  I currently run a Blackjack version 1 and want to try Blackberry for a while to compare them to Windows Mobile devices.  Then again, I could also go with the older Pearl, although I don't want to buy it and the next week have the next version come out (Like what they did with Blackjack).
I'll stay will ATT because my company gets me Premiere discounts on both phones and monthly service.  If for some reason ATT doesn't get the Pearl 2, I can just as easily lean towards the Curve, although I am after the smaller form factor of the Pearl.  I currently run a Blackjack version 1 and want to try Blackberry for a while to compare them to Windows Mobile devices.  Then again, I could also go with the older Pearl, although I don't want to buy it and the next week have the next version come out (Like what they did with Blackjack).

11 of 19 (4,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 4:53:30 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just looked on Letstalk.com and they are selling their old pearls for $49.99, that makes me think something is up because they are going for so cheap.    It didn't indicate if they were refurbished or not but that is a pretty low price.    HMMMM.....  Makes you wonder.....
I just looked on Letstalk.com and they are selling their old pearls for $49.99, that makes me think something is up because they are going for so cheap.    It didn't indicate if they were refurbished or not but that is a pretty low price.    HMMMM.....  Makes you wonder.....

12 of 19 (4,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 6:24:30 PM
(0)
Expert

takeshi wrote:

newfan wrote:

Well said.  I would rather wait and get a good unit and not something that is going to bug out on me (which is something very rare for RIM to do with their BBs).  I for one would wait till it happens and put up with what  have till then.  I am using the Pearl, the 8800 and now looking to buy the 8310 and possibly the 8110 to replace the 2.  The only reason I would replace the Pearl is for the bult in GPS and by the way I do subscribe to telenav.  To others, I also use a WM device which is the Tilt and I have to say, it will not replace any of the BB units that I have. 

takeshi wrote:

newfan wrote:

Well said.  I would rather wait and get a good unit and not something that is going to bug out on me (which is something very rare for RIM to do with their BBs).  I for one would wait till it happens and put up with what  have till then.  I am using the Pearl, the 8800 and now looking to buy the 8310 and possibly the 8110 to replace the 2.  The only reason I would replace the Pearl is for the bult in GPS and by the way I do subscribe to telenav.  To others, I also use a WM device which is the Tilt and I have to say, it will not replace any of the BB units that I have. 

13 of 19 (4,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 8:30:49 PM
(0)
Contributor
According to  CellPhoneSignal.com,  T-mobile may push back to April from the February 18 release date for 8120 model.   I do not know any updated inofrmation regarding ATT's release date.
According to  CellPhoneSignal.com,  T-mobile may push back to April from the February 18 release date for 8120 model.   I do not know any updated inofrmation regarding ATT's release date.

14 of 19 (4,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2008 6:25:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have been considering switching my business over to ATT from Spr since they have terrible customer service and wanting GSM.  However, according to the sales rep, ATT will be releasing the 8120 and it WILL NOT have GPS!  I was very surprised by that.  May end up going with VW even though it sounds like the Nav isn't great.  Any other ideas?
I have been considering switching my business over to ATT from Spr since they have terrible customer service and wanting GSM.  However, according to the sales rep, ATT will be releasing the 8120 and it WILL NOT have GPS!  I was very surprised by that.  May end up going with VW even though it sounds like the Nav isn't great.  Any other ideas?

15 of 19 (3,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2008 8:48:37 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by takeshi on Mar 13, 2008 at 8:52:38 AM
Why is that surprising?  At&t can't add features to the device:
http://eu.blackberry.com/eng/devices/device-detail.jsp?navId=H0,C101,P624#tab_tab_specifications

It seems that under the new model number scheme the xx20 models will be the WiFi units while the xx10 units will have GPS (though the 88xx series strays from this).

akdoc wrote:
Any other ideas?

Select your carrier based on coverage first.  GSM devices can be unlocked and used with other carriers.  If you don't like crippled devices then don't use VZW.

Message Edited by takeshi on 03-13-2008 08:52:38 AM
Why is that surprising?  At&t can't add features to the device:
http://eu.blackberry.com/eng/devices/device-detail.jsp?navId=H0,C101,P624#tab_tab_specifications

It seems that under the new model number scheme the xx20 models will be the WiFi units while the xx10 units will have GPS (though the 88xx series strays from this).

akdoc wrote:
Any other ideas?

Select your carrier based on coverage first.  GSM devices can be unlocked and used with other carriers.  If you don't like crippled devices then don't use VZW.

Message Edited by takeshi on 03-13-2008 08:52:38 AM

[ Edited ]
16 of 19 (3,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2008 12:16:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
the Blackberry Pearl 8120 is currently available on the AT&T business side website.  It is not currently available on the consumer side. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
the Blackberry Pearl 8120 is currently available on the AT&T business side website.  It is not currently available on the consumer side. 

17 of 19 (3,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2008 6:02:03 AM
(0)
Teacher
how long has it taken to go from the corporate site to the consumer site typically? this is going to be my first smartphone and im pretty excited!
how long has it taken to go from the corporate site to the consumer site typically? this is going to be my first smartphone and im pretty excited!

18 of 19 (3,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2008 11:02:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
I see that the 8120 is available on the business side. Any idea on when it will be available on the consumer side?
I see that the 8120 is available on the business side. Any idea on when it will be available on the consumer side?

19 of 19 (3,132 Views)