Blackberry Curve 8520 Error Message 523

Contributor

Blackberry Curve 8520 Error Message 523

My blackberry curve 8520 has app error 523.  My phone is froze so the soft reset won't work.  I have done the hard reset twice and then phone comes on for about a second and then goes back to error message.  How can I get this fixed?

Message 1 of 2 (1,526 Views)

Re: Blackberry Curve 8520 Error Message 523

The app error is a software error.  Since there isn't really a way to tell which app is causing the error (or of doing anything on the phone to fix it if you did know), you'll need to install (or reinstall) a clean copy of the of the most current handheld software for the device.

1. If you don't already have it, download and install the Blackberry Desktop Software.

2. If using a Windows PC, download and install the most recent handheld software to your computer (not yet to your phone).

3. If possible, back up the contents of your phone using the Desktop Software as described for Windows PC or for Mac. If the desktop software prompts you about an available update, don't install it yet.  Sometimes the device's error can affect the communication with the computer, so you may not be able to complete this step.

4. Cleanly install or reinstall the most recent handheld software (in a process called an application reload).

4.A. If the desktop software recognizes the device as normal, then mostly follow the instructions here for PC or for Mac. However, do NOT check the box to automatically back up or save your data.  An application or data caused the error, so you don't want to save it and put it back on the device.

4.B. Due to the error, the desktop software may be unable to communicate normally with the device.  If the device isn't recognized on a Mac, wait up to 15 minutes for it to be detected.  On a PC, there's a faster and more reliable option.  

4.B.1. Disconnect the device from the computer.

4.B.2. Find and run loader.exe nearly as described here, but don't use any arguments.  That is, where the article says to type "loader.exe /resettofactory", just type "loader.exe".  On the window that appears, click Next.  You'll have a window that asks for a COM port.  Leave the window up.

4.B.3.  Remove and reinsert the device's battery.  The red indicator LED will shine for only a few seconds.  While that light is still on, reconnect the device to the computer.  The COM port dropdown will change to "USB: PIN" or something similar.  When it does, immediately click Next.  Because of the critical timing, this step may take a few tries.  Once it works, you can proceed with 4.A.

4.C. If the device still cannot be detected, see here for various possible reasons.  For some common but non-obvious possibilities, pay special attention to the sections on User Account Control and on Power Management.  Once any problems listed in the article are dealt with, retry steps 3 and 4.

5. If you were able to back up the device or you have a recent existing backup, you may want to restore your information.  Be very careful to avoid restoring the original issue when you do this.  When restoring your backed up information, use an advanced or selective restore to only take the most important information, such as contacts and calendar entries.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 2 (1,492 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.