BlackBerry Torch - locking/freezing up

Teacher

BlackBerry Torch - locking/freezing up

I LOVE the Torch! But now all of a sudden in the last couple of days it has started to lag a bit going to the next screen. Something as simple as just trying to close out of a text message or sliding from one screen to the other. Anybody else have this problem? Pretty frustrating. 

Message 1 of 24
Professor

Re: BlackBerry Torch - locking/freezing up

For those that are still lagging, read the following I got from the BlackBerry forum.

To prevent freezing or lagging/slow response on any BlackBerry, the most important practice you can adopt is to be sure to CLOSE applications when you are finished using them. 
If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory will get used up. Lack of memory is the biggest reason your BlackBerry slows to a crawl or locks up. If you get into the habit of actually using the menu key to close the applications this will at least slow down this memory-clogging process. You still may have to do a battery pull or use the "Quickpull" app once in a while when things get slow.

To check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

So now, check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 16 of 24
Contributor

According to At&t they are aware of the problem....Bought my Torch at Best Buy..and have had nothing but problems with it...Can't even leave the Otter Box on it because I'm too busy resetting the battery...FREEZE>>FREEZE>>FREEZE.. Going back to At&t to figure out a different phone... Dissappointed ..Got any ideas what phone is dependable...Need it for work and home use....

Message 17 of 24
Contributor

You were spot on. I rebooted my phone and deleted the log and have had no problems since. I am an extremely heavy user and deleting the log files, clearing history and closing tabs on the browser  are a small price to pay for having a functional Blackberry. Thanks

Message 18 of 24
Professor

fla33983 wrote:

You were spot on. I rebooted my phone and deleted the log and have had no problems since. I am an extremely heavy user and deleting the log files, clearing history and closing tabs on the browser  are a small price to pay for having a functional Blackberry. Thanks

If your thanks were for me, then I'm glad I was able to help. Please click the kudos star in the post that gave you the information you were looking for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 19 of 24
Contributor

I have lag issues with my new Torch as well.

One thing that I have found useful so far is that the Torch has a page for monitoring processor usage in realtime!

Options -> Device -> Application Management -> Swipe right to access CPU page...

The thing I have noticed on this page is that, seemingly randomly, my Phone App will jump to the top and take 95 TO 100% of the CPU. If this condition persists for more than a few seconds the Torch will freeze with a black square and sweeping hand... Sometimes for as long as 2 minutes...

The Phone App seems to be the only application doing this on my Torch. And it happens VERY often... At the time the Phone App goes hyper there is nothing of importance happening. I am usually not sending or receiving a call or message, etc.

Of course this wreaks havoc on battery life... My Torch will completely discharge in 6 to 8 hours.

Replacement did not help as this is my second Torch and battery after a trip to the local Support Center.

Hopefully there is a fix out there as I really enjoy the functionality on the Torch (when I can access it ;-) )

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

EB

Message 20 of 24
Contributor

This was really fantastic advice. Thank you! I have had lots of issues with freezing, too.  And it always seemed that it would start out great, then get slower and slower as the week went on... This is really something that should be corrected in the blackberry system...at least maybe have the OPTION to have the "hang up" button=close application.

Anyway, thank you for this advice, this was actually a TROUBLESHOOTING SOLUTION, which is what was needed!

Message 21 of 24
Contributor

i have a blackberry torch 9810 and i just got it a month and a half ago and it was freezing and had other problems they replaced it right away well now its freezing again and my software is alredy up to date. i love how atnt comes out with GREAT NEW PHONES that are NOT GREAT at all!!! ive now had 10 phones this yr bc every single one freezes or has a prob with internet working im tired of atnt
Message 22 of 24
Contributor

the rep from atnt told me to do a software update
go to options<devices<software update
Message 23 of 24
Highlighted
Tutor

i dont know how to fix the issue

Message 24 of 24
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support