Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 27, 2010
7:58:16 PM
Billing Cycle - How Much Data Did you use?
Edited by crispichickn on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:06:25 PM

im just wondering to try to find out if 2GB will be enough data for me - i was a HEAVY iphone 3 user until it cracked and i took data away.

I used apps everyday - before school/ in school/ after school 

i used maps picture messaging mail aim and everything the iphone had to offer

how much did you use while on 3g and how much data did you use?

im just wondering to try to find out if 2GB will be enough data for me - i was a HEAVY iphone 3 user until it cracked and i took data away.

I used apps everyday - before school/ in school/ after school 

i used maps picture messaging mail aim and everything the iphone had to offer

how much did you use while on 3g and how much data did you use?

Billing Cycle - How Much Data Did you use?

[ Edited ]
17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 8:32:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had an iPhone 3G prior to getting my iPhone 4.  I used it quite heavily, but I also used wifi when possible.  In the last 16 months I had my 3G, I only used about 6.5GB totally.  Averaging about 430-450MB / month IIRC.  I haven't had a full cycle since getting my new iPhone 4,  so I'm not positive what the total usage is.  My cycle resets on the 20th,  and since the last reset, I've used about 39MB in the first week.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I had an iPhone 3G prior to getting my iPhone 4.  I used it quite heavily, but I also used wifi when possible.  In the last 16 months I had my 3G, I only used about 6.5GB totally.  Averaging about 430-450MB / month IIRC.  I haven't had a full cycle since getting my new iPhone 4,  so I'm not positive what the total usage is.  My cycle resets on the 20th,  and since the last reset, I've used about 39MB in the first week.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Billing Cycle - How Much Data Did you use?

2 of 18 (1,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 8:36:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

GeekBoy wrote:

oh. that seems good. i've read a lot of stories of people having 70+ Mbs added at night for no reason - that hasn't happened to you? 

GeekBoy wrote:

oh. that seems good. i've read a lot of stories of people having 70+ Mbs added at night for no reason - that hasn't happened to you? 

3 of 18 (1,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 8:43:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I saw a little of that for a while, but then I followed the instructions on resetting the warnings on my phone and then selected to not share the diagnostic data with Apple.  I still see some small data transfers in the middle of the night, but IIRC, they've all been less than 20Kb, and could easily be push notices, since I do get emails in at about that time.

Now, for a little clarifiacation, I use my phone quite a bit, but I don't to on-line games, and I don't even do Facebook.  I do Twitter, and I have about 25-30 email accounts sync to my phone.  Other than that,  most of my apps all work with local data stores that I tend to populate while on wifi.  I use my iPod for music, so I don't incur large data usage for Pandora.  I use Skype, but normally only when on wifi.  My office location is in a poor reception area for AT&T so wifi is much more reliable for me.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

I saw a little of that for a while, but then I followed the instructions on resetting the warnings on my phone and then selected to not share the diagnostic data with Apple.  I still see some small data transfers in the middle of the night, but IIRC, they've all been less than 20Kb, and could easily be push notices, since I do get emails in at about that time.

Now, for a little clarifiacation, I use my phone quite a bit, but I don't to on-line games, and I don't even do Facebook.  I do Twitter, and I have about 25-30 email accounts sync to my phone.  Other than that,  most of my apps all work with local data stores that I tend to populate while on wifi.  I use my iPod for music, so I don't incur large data usage for Pandora.  I use Skype, but normally only when on wifi.  My office location is in a poor reception area for AT&T so wifi is much more reliable for me.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 18 (1,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 8:46:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

GeekBoy wrote:

i havent received my iphone 4 yet but how exactly do i select not to share the diagnostics data with apple?

GeekBoy wrote:

i havent received my iphone 4 yet but how exactly do i select not to share the diagnostics data with apple?

5 of 18 (1,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 9:03:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Lambo23 wrote:

I am trying to do this from memory, as my normal computer is in the shop right now, so I don't have iTunes to verify...

Under Windows, right click on the iPhone in the left panel of iTunes.  The bottom entry of that menu should be something like "Reset warnings" or similar.  Select that.  On the next sync, you should get a pop-up box asking you if you want to share the diagnostic information with Apple.  Just selct to not share the data, and if you like, check the box to not ask you again.

Under MacOS it is similar, except you may not have a right mouse button.  If you don't,  I believe it is "Cntrl"-click on the iPhone, then follow the same steps as for Windows.

I still get nightly data usage, but I also know that right around 2:00am local for me is midnight Pacific time, and I get a set of automated emails right about that time,  and they could easily account for several KB (up to several hundred KB depeding upon attachment sizes) of data transmitted.  Since I've done that reset,  I don't think I've had a single overnight usage more than 3-4MB and that could still be normal emails (and push notifications via PushMail).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Lambo23 wrote:

I am trying to do this from memory, as my normal computer is in the shop right now, so I don't have iTunes to verify...

Under Windows, right click on the iPhone in the left panel of iTunes.  The bottom entry of that menu should be something like "Reset warnings" or similar.  Select that.  On the next sync, you should get a pop-up box asking you if you want to share the diagnostic information with Apple.  Just selct to not share the data, and if you like, check the box to not ask you again.

Under MacOS it is similar, except you may not have a right mouse button.  If you don't,  I believe it is "Cntrl"-click on the iPhone, then follow the same steps as for Windows.

I still get nightly data usage, but I also know that right around 2:00am local for me is midnight Pacific time, and I get a set of automated emails right about that time,  and they could easily account for several KB (up to several hundred KB depeding upon attachment sizes) of data transmitted.  Since I've done that reset,  I don't think I've had a single overnight usage more than 3-4MB and that could still be normal emails (and push notifications via PushMail).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

6 of 18 (1,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 9:47:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

GeekBoy wrote:

Lambo23 wrote:

thank you! i checked my data usages in the past months and of which i used my 3g everyday and all the time and all i used was about 1.5 gbs of data which really surprised me considering i used pandora a lot and facebook all the time like 30 times a day.

GeekBoy wrote:

Lambo23 wrote:

thank you! i checked my data usages in the past months and of which i used my 3g everyday and all the time and all i used was about 1.5 gbs of data which really surprised me considering i used pandora a lot and facebook all the time like 30 times a day.

7 of 18 (1,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 9:53:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

What all consist in the 2gb data? And is it possible to get unlimited if you're a new customer?

What all consist in the 2gb data? And is it possible to get unlimited if you're a new customer?

8 of 18 (1,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 9:58:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

Rico5 wrote:

everything you do that is using 3g is using up some of your 2gb data. if you are using wifi, it doesnt take away from your 2gb. and no its not possible to get unlimited if you are a new customer. it sucks

Rico5 wrote:

everything you do that is using 3g is using up some of your 2gb data. if you are using wifi, it doesnt take away from your 2gb. and no its not possible to get unlimited if you are a new customer. it sucks

9 of 18 (1,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:18:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

for my iphone 3gs -

March - 200Mb's - what a noob, Mostly on wifi, didnt do anything really 3g

April - 700Mb's (starting getting into more streaming radio)

May - 3.3Gb (3300Mb's) (Alot of Pandora/aol radio/shoutcast..etc etc, Alot of vnc'ing to pc, streaming videos while on the road via 3g..etc)

June 2.0Gb(2000Mb's) more of what i did in May just not as much on the video side

July 1.1Gb (1100Mb's)  Sold my iphone 3gs on the 16th to buy an iphone 4

i think the 2gb might be ok for some people, but once you get into it and realize what you have and what you can do with it, 2gb seems to be low, or you'd have to just watch what your doing , im a heavy internet user on my iphone and home computers

According to my linksys router (with Charter cable 20/2 (no limit's ..thanks charter)

May 2010 27.8Gb (Incoming: 278475 MB / Outgoing: 9101 MB)

June 2010 27.4Gb (Incoming: 274511 MB / Outgoing: 8499 MB)

July 2010 21Gb (Incoming: 210380 MB / Outgoing: 5478 MB)

and alot of hulu/youtube/netflix and maybe 90 hours total online gaming in 3 months

Tmi ? Sorry.. just thought i'd share

for my iphone 3gs -

May - 3.3Gb (3300Mb's) (Alot of Pandora/aol radio/shoutcast..etc etc, Alot of vnc'ing to pc, streaming videos while on the road via 3g..etc)

June 2.0Gb(2000Mb's) more of what i did in May just not as much on the video side

i think the 2gb might be ok for some people, but once you get into it and realize what you have and what you can do with it, 2gb seems to be low, or you'd have to just watch what your doing , im a heavy internet user on my iphone and home computers

According to my linksys router (with Charter cable 20/2 (no limit's ..thanks charter)

and alot of hulu/youtube/netflix and maybe 90 hours total online gaming in 3 months

10 of 18 (1,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:20:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

seanl9941 wrote:

for my iphone 3gs -

1024 mbs = 1 gb

seanl9941 wrote:

for my iphone 3gs -

1024 mbs = 1 gb

11 of 18 (1,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:23:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by seanl9941 on Jul 27, 2010 at 10:25:47 PM

is that your version of being the grammar police , i was tring to make it simple.. and relatable , thanks for crapping the thread

thanks, Glad there is an expert here to help me out, im new to this 'internets'

is that your version of being the grammar police , i was tring to make it simple.. and relatable , thanks for crapping the thread

thanks, Glad there is an expert here to help me out, im new to this 'internets'

[ Edited ]
12 of 18 (1,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:25:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

seanl9941 wrote:

well i was actually just informing you that you were using less data than you thought.

seanl9941 wrote:

well i was actually just informing you that you were using less data than you thought.

13 of 18 (1,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:26:39 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by seanl9941 on Jul 27, 2010 at 10:29:40 PM

24Mb's per Gb, is not important.. is it?

same reason why we dont run out and buy the new iphone 4 29.8Gb model.. nope.. ..sure dont.. 32gb for a reason... to keep it simple for the  Standard users.. i was keeping it simple

same reason why we dont run out and buy the new iphone 4 29.8Gb model.. nope.. ..sure dont.. 32gb for a reason... to keep it simple for the  Standard users.. i was keeping it simple

[ Edited ]
14 of 18 (1,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:28:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

seanl9941 wrote:

with a 2gb limit. it can be Smiley Wink

seanl9941 wrote:

with a 2gb limit. it can be Smiley Wink

15 of 18 (1,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:32:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I think the key is, do you have wifi available where you will burn the bulk of your data, leaving the 3G for those times when you truely are mobile?

Me? I'm in a wifi cloud. Home, work, and even just out and about (starbucks, they're freaking everywhere) it seems I can get wifi. So I leave wifi on all the time, and the iP4 goes all day, and mostly is connected to wifi.

I do all that amazing stuff the guy above does, but I use a trickle of 3G data (not even 50MB so far in about a half month, on a 2GB plan) because most of the use is wifi.

Do I NEED to use 3G to watch you tube in the crapper @ home? No, not really Smiley Wink

I think the key is, do you have wifi available where you will burn the bulk of your data, leaving the 3G for those times when you truely are mobile?

Me? I'm in a wifi cloud. Home, work, and even just out and about (starbucks, they're freaking everywhere) it seems I can get wifi. So I leave wifi on all the time, and the iP4 goes all day, and mostly is connected to wifi.

I do all that amazing stuff the guy above does, but I use a trickle of 3G data (not even 50MB so far in about a half month, on a 2GB plan) because most of the use is wifi.

Do I NEED to use 3G to watch you tube in the crapper @ home? No, not really Smiley Wink

16 of 18 (1,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2010 10:36:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

hahaha thats hilarious. personally i dont like sitting there very long. but im very surprised because i was complaining about only having 2gb of data and now it looks like it wont even be a problem for me if i use 3g about 90% of the time. Smiley Happy 

johninsj wrote:

hahaha thats hilarious. personally i dont like sitting there very long. but im very surprised because i was complaining about only having 2gb of data and now it looks like it wont even be a problem for me if i use 3g about 90% of the time. Smiley Happy 

17 of 18 (1,067 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 4:10:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

GeekBoy wrote:

i read to do that somewhere last night and thought i would try it. woke up early this morning to find yet another huge transfer of data added sometime last night. - nothing is even on the iphone currently but one game. Email is not hooked up, factory settings are applied and there is only one application that does not have push notifications.

GeekBoy wrote:

i read to do that somewhere last night and thought i would try it. woke up early this morning to find yet another huge transfer of data added sometime last night. - nothing is even on the iphone currently but one game. Email is not hooked up, factory settings are applied and there is only one application that does not have push notifications.

18 of 18 (1,039 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments