Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 24, 2012
11:46:36 AM
View profile
Bill mistake regarding data plan purchase?

I'll be calling ATT when I get a chance, but can't while at work.  I was wondering if maybe any of you could shed some light on my situation. 

I upgraded to an IPhone this month and purchased the required data plan for it.  I ordered the phone and apparently, the data package on the 15th of January but didn't receive/activate my new phone until the 18th which is the first day of my new billing cycle.  Anyway, the charge for the new phone's data plan was on my latest bill when I hadn't even used it during that time frame.  Is this a loophole I've gotten screwed on by PURCHASING the data plan before I was physically able to use it, or is ATT in the wrong here?  Thanks for any help you can give me. 

I'll be calling ATT when I get a chance, but can't while at work.  I was wondering if maybe any of you could shed some light on my situation. 

I upgraded to an IPhone this month and purchased the required data plan for it.  I ordered the phone and apparently, the data package on the 15th of January but didn't receive/activate my new phone until the 18th which is the first day of my new billing cycle.  Anyway, the charge for the new phone's data plan was on my latest bill when I hadn't even used it during that time frame.  Is this a loophole I've gotten screwed on by PURCHASING the data plan before I was physically able to use it, or is ATT in the wrong here?  Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Bill mistake regarding data plan purchase?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 1:30:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

Re: Bill mistake regarding data plan purchase?

2 of 4 (176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 1:52:09 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

A pre-paid data plan is different from a pay as you go plan. 

You're not being charged for each bit (or byte) of data you use, you're being charged for the actual play that allows you to use data. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

A pre-paid data plan is different from a pay as you go plan. 

You're not being charged for each bit (or byte) of data you use, you're being charged for the actual play that allows you to use data. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (173 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 3:16:57 PM
(0)
Guru
That's odd because during the upgrade, the equipment and data plans stay parked/reserved until it's actually activated since the data plan is part of the order along with the phone. And if you did activate on the 18th, and it's the first day of your cycle, it shouldn't have shown up on the bill, until the next cycle and show up twice because of the prorations.

So if it was added to your bill, means you were charged for 3 additional days of service plus the regular month right? If so, shouldn't be that much on the bill, but even so, you can always ask to see why it was added before the 18th.
That's odd because during the upgrade, the equipment and data plans stay parked/reserved until it's actually activated since the data plan is part of the order along with the phone. And if you did activate on the 18th, and it's the first day of your cycle, it shouldn't have shown up on the bill, until the next cycle and show up twice because of the prorations.

So if it was added to your bill, means you were charged for 3 additional days of service plus the regular month right? If so, shouldn't be that much on the bill, but even so, you can always ask to see why it was added before the 18th.

4 of 4 (164 Views)