Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 25, 2011
12:10:36 AM
View profile
Beware! New Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket CAN'T EVEN MESSAGE!
Edited by nugoosh on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:17:48 AM

What a rip off... It seems my smartphone is incapable of sending or receiving MMS messages (included in my UNLIMITED messaging plan) without access to packet data (but I bought the smallest plan, since that's all I need for actual DATA). 

I've had "dumb" phones for years that at least let me send and receive pictures.

Does anybody know if this is an idiotic Samsung hardware mistake or just AT&T being greedy and conniving?

What a rip off... It seems my smartphone is incapable of sending or receiving MMS messages (included in my UNLIMITED messaging plan) without access to packet data (but I bought the smallest plan, since that's all I need for actual DATA). 

I've had "dumb" phones for years that at least let me send and receive pictures.

Does anybody know if this is an idiotic Samsung hardware mistake or just AT&T being greedy and conniving?

Beware! New Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket CAN'T EVEN MESSAGE!

[ Edited ]
21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 2:46:08 AM
(0)
Expert

nugoosh wrote:

Not quite sure what you are complaining about - mms sending and recieving has always required data, ergo if you place a data block on a qmd device the user would not be able to send or recieve mms message, basic protocol here.  A mms message being sent or recieved does not affect the quota for data, it is included in the texting plan. A smartphone can and will access data on it's own for various functions.

nugoosh wrote:

Not quite sure what you are complaining about - mms sending and recieving has always required data, ergo if you place a data block on a qmd device the user would not be able to send or recieve mms message, basic protocol here.  A mms message being sent or recieved does not affect the quota for data, it is included in the texting plan. A smartphone can and will access data on it's own for various functions.

Re: Beware! New Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket CAN'T EVEN MESSAGE!

2 of 22 (13,466 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 10:46:37 AM
(0)
Teacher
Like @wingrider01 said

Not to sure what your complaining about, I've had the Skyrocket almost a week without issues one bit, can send text & mms without issues using unlimited plan for data
Like @wingrider01 said

Not to sure what your complaining about, I've had the Skyrocket almost a week without issues one bit, can send text & mms without issues using unlimited plan for data

3 of 22 (13,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 12:40:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
It is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS messages. To me, it sounds like a user error on your part.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

It is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS messages. To me, it sounds like a user error on your part.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 22 (13,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 3:52:46 PM
(0)
Scholar
nugoosh wrote:

Your packet data needs to be on to receive or send photos using text messaging, it does not count towards your data plan.. 

It was the same with my old WP7 Focus and my present Galaxy S2.  

nugoosh wrote:

Your packet data needs to be on to receive or send photos using text messaging, it does not count towards your data plan.. 

It was the same with my old WP7 Focus and my present Galaxy S2.  

5 of 22 (13,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 6:49:54 AM
(0)
Contributor
Pmt1209 is partially correct. The full truth is that your mobile ISP *WILL* charge you data fees *if* you send the MMS message to an.email address instead of a mobile phone number. I've been dealing with that issue for years with AT&T who, oftentimes, credit me back after calling customer service.
Pmt1209 is partially correct. The full truth is that your mobile ISP *WILL* charge you data fees *if* you send the MMS message to an.email address instead of a mobile phone number. I've been dealing with that issue for years with AT&T who, oftentimes, credit me back after calling customer service.

6 of 22 (13,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 12:21:43 PM
(0)
Teacher
No compass regarding text, mms or email . Everything works great
No compass regarding text, mms or email . Everything works great

7 of 22 (13,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 12:22:20 PM
(0)
Teacher
No complains *
No complains *

8 of 22 (13,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 6:06:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just switched to Android from iPhone and can't figure out how to set up text messaging on my Skyrocket.  If somebody knows how do it please post step by step instructions for dummies Smiley Happy like me who are new to Android.  Thanks

I just switched to Android from iPhone and can't figure out how to set up text messaging on my Skyrocket.  If somebody knows how do it please post step by step instructions for dummies Smiley Happy like me who are new to Android.  Thanks

9 of 22 (13,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 7:06:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Well, tap the Messaging icon, > Compose new message > enter a phone number or contact name > then begin typing. It's pretty simple, even for iPhone converts. Smiley Happy

Well, tap the Messaging icon, > Compose new message > enter a phone number or contact name > then begin typing. It's pretty simple, even for iPhone converts. Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 22 (12,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 7:26:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

UMMMM how did you get a skyrocket without a data plan attatched? I know you didn't pay full retail... Also the only way MMS breaks is if you flash a different aftermarket ROM. It is fine out of the box.

UMMMM how did you get a skyrocket without a data plan attatched? I know you didn't pay full retail... Also the only way MMS breaks is if you flash a different aftermarket ROM. It is fine out of the box.

11 of 22 (12,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 9:49:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Mine now working great, including LTE
Mine now working great, including LTE

12 of 22 (12,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 4:58:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Martinjv71 wrote:

UMMMM how did you get a skyrocket without a data plan attached?

The user could be using the phone on a prepaid GoPhone account.

I am using a prepaid Samsung Captivate and iPhone 3GS on my GoPhone account. I do not pay a cent for a data plan.

Martinjv71 wrote:

UMMMM how did you get a skyrocket without a data plan attached?

The user could be using the phone on a prepaid GoPhone account.

I am using a prepaid Samsung Captivate and iPhone 3GS on my GoPhone account. I do not pay a cent for a data plan.

13 of 22 (12,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 2:07:43 AM
(0)
Tutor
I found out today that mms messaging will not work if the mobile data setting is turned off. This is the setting on the actual phone. So if you are on wifi only, mms messages will not send or be recieved/downloaded . This is an obvious way for att to suck more money out of you. I had an Inspire that allowed me to send mms messages as well as receive them over my wifi, so I basically just spent a ton of money on this skyrocket which is basically a lower quality phone compared to my inspire.
I found out today that mms messaging will not work if the mobile data setting is turned off. This is the setting on the actual phone. So if you are on wifi only, mms messages will not send or be recieved/downloaded . This is an obvious way for att to suck more money out of you. I had an Inspire that allowed me to send mms messages as well as receive them over my wifi, so I basically just spent a ton of money on this skyrocket which is basically a lower quality phone compared to my inspire.

14 of 22 (12,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 3:11:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You can still return the phone (it sounds like you've had it for less than 30 days) and go back to your Inspire if you are not completely satisfied overall...

You can still return the phone (it sounds like you've had it for less than 30 days) and go back to your Inspire if you are not completely satisfied overall...

15 of 22 (12,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 6:18:23 AM
(0)
Expert

nailbizarre wrote:

No thisis the way that MMS works, if you have a data block on a qmd device or your data services turned off on a smarthpne you cannot send mms messages, this is true for any phone. In fact on a iphone if you turn data off not only does mms not work but visual voice mail does not either.

Unltimited texting includes mms message data. Not sure how you did it on the inspire, it won;t do it on mine if data is off

nailbizarre wrote:

No thisis the way that MMS works, if you have a data block on a qmd device or your data services turned off on a smarthpne you cannot send mms messages, this is true for any phone. In fact on a iphone if you turn data off not only does mms not work but visual voice mail does not either.

Unltimited texting includes mms message data. Not sure how you did it on the inspire, it won;t do it on mine if data is off

16 of 22 (12,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 3:16:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

If I read correctly even though you have to use data fro mms, if you have unlimited messaging then it should not count against you data? I have Skyrocket and others in family have non smartphones and no data plans and they send mms attachements in txt messages all day long.

If I read correctly even though you have to use data fro mms, if you have unlimited messaging then it should not count against you data? I have Skyrocket and others in family have non smartphones and no data plans and they send mms attachements in txt messages all day long.

17 of 22 (12,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 6:28:06 AM
(0)
Expert

ekalbach wrote:

it doesn.t but wirless data has to be turned on or not have a data block on the number for it to work.

ekalbach wrote:

it doesn.t but wirless data has to be turned on or not have a data block on the number for it to work.

18 of 22 (12,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 8:38:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
Have had my skyrocket for a week now, i cannot send or receive mms messages. I have unlimited internet and messaging. Is there something in the settings i should check. i can receive still picture thru text messaging and send.
Have had my skyrocket for a week now, i cannot send or receive mms messages. I have unlimited internet and messaging. Is there something in the settings i should check. i can receive still picture thru text messaging and send.

19 of 22 (11,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 1:08:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

How do I know if my data package is turned on or off? I have problems with text messages failing when I am trying to send a picture. Sometimes it takes a long time for a message to go through or I have to repeatedly send the message after it fails over and over. Also there are times I can not access the interent or get my emails with the Skyrocket. It's a bit fustrating becuase I do not know how to fix the issue, Please help.

How do I know if my data package is turned on or off? I have problems with text messages failing when I am trying to send a picture. Sometimes it takes a long time for a message to go through or I have to repeatedly send the message after it fails over and over. Also there are times I can not access the interent or get my emails with the Skyrocket. It's a bit fustrating becuase I do not know how to fix the issue, Please help.

20 of 22 (10,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 9:12:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

My new Skyrocket can send texts & photos fine.  It can receive plain texts from my husband's & one son's iPhones, but not picture texts.  It also does not receive either plain or picture texts from my other son's Android phone. What's up with that???

My new Skyrocket can send texts & photos fine.  It can receive plain texts from my husband's & one son's iPhones, but not picture texts.  It also does not receive either plain or picture texts from my other son's Android phone. What's up with that???

21 of 22 (9,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 2:29:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by spidertech on May 2, 2012 at 2:31:43 PM

nugoosh wrote:

What a rip off... It seems my smartphone is incapable of sending or receiving MMS messages (included in my UNLIMITED messaging plan) without access to packet data (but I bought the smallest plan, since that's all I need for actual DATA)

WWOOOOWWWWW, there is sooooo much misinformation in this thread. The OP HAS a data plan as was clearly stated in the post. As some others have stated, sending MMS does require access to the data network, so if you have a data block on your line it will not work. That does not seem to be the case here though.

I know for a fact that you do NOT have to have packet data turned on in order to send MMS messages. You do, however, need to have your APN setup correctly. You can have your apn setup to use the internet (packet data) and it not be able to send or receive MMS messages. There is a specific setting for that. If the MMS settings in the APN are not configured, or are configured incorrectly it will not work. If you are using a custom APN without the correct settings it will not work either. You may have to revert to the default APN settings to see if that fixes the issue.

The reason I say I know this for a fact is that I just went through this with my wife's phone. She is using my x10 running GB and I specifically disabled packet data so she couldn't accidentally use data since there is no data plan on her line. I created the APN and as soon as I did she was able to send / receive MMS messages with packet data turned off.

Tl;dr Check your APN settings, or call AT&T about it. "Use packet data" has nothing to do with MMS.

Here is a screenshot of what your APN should look like for the MMS settings. (pulled from my SGS2). You access the APN settings by going into "Settings-->Wireless and network-->Mobile Networks-->Access Point Names". You can reset them to default by pressing the menu button on this screen and select "Reset to default".

nugoosh wrote:

What a rip off... It seems my smartphone is incapable of sending or receiving MMS messages (included in my UNLIMITED messaging plan) without access to packet data (but I bought the smallest plan, since that's all I need for actual DATA)

WWOOOOWWWWW, there is sooooo much misinformation in this thread. The OP HAS a data plan as was clearly stated in the post. As some others have stated, sending MMS does require access to the data network, so if you have a data block on your line it will not work. That does not seem to be the case here though.

I know for a fact that you do NOT have to have packet data turned on in order to send MMS messages. You do, however, need to have your APN setup correctly. You can have your apn setup to use the internet (packet data) and it not be able to send or receive MMS messages. There is a specific setting for that. If the MMS settings in the APN are not configured, or are configured incorrectly it will not work. If you are using a custom APN without the correct settings it will not work either. You may have to revert to the default APN settings to see if that fixes the issue.

The reason I say I know this for a fact is that I just went through this with my wife's phone. She is using my x10 running GB and I specifically disabled packet data so she couldn't accidentally use data since there is no data plan on her line. I created the APN and as soon as I did she was able to send / receive MMS messages with packet data turned off.

Tl;dr Check your APN settings, or call AT&T about it. "Use packet data" has nothing to do with MMS.

Here is a screenshot of what your APN should look like for the MMS settings. (pulled from my SGS2). You access the APN settings by going into "Settings-->Wireless and network-->Mobile Networks-->Access Point Names". You can reset them to default by pressing the menu button on this screen and select "Reset to default".

[ Edited ]
22 of 22 (9,178 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments