Beware! New Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket CAN'T EVEN MESSAGE!

Contributor

Beware! New Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket CAN'T EVEN MESSAGE!

[ Edited ]

What a rip off... It seems my smartphone is incapable of sending or receiving MMS messages (included in my UNLIMITED messaging plan) without access to packet data (but I bought the smallest plan, since that's all I need for actual DATA). 

I've had "dumb" phones for years that at least let me send and receive pictures.

Does anybody know if this is an idiotic Samsung hardware mistake or just AT&T being greedy and conniving?

Message 1 of 22 (13,519 Views)
Expert

Re: Beware! New Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket CAN'T EVEN MESSAGE!

nugoosh wrote:

What a rip off... It seems my smartphone is incapable of sending or receiving MMS messages (included in my UNLIMITED messaging plan) without access to packet data (but I bought the smallest plan, since that's all I need for actual DATA). 

I've had "dumb" phones for years that at least let me send and receive pictures.

Does anybody know if this is an idiotic Samsung hardware mistake or just AT&T being greedy and conniving?

Not quite sure what you are complaining about - mms sending and recieving has always required data, ergo if you place a data block on a qmd device the user would not be able to send or recieve mms message, basic protocol here.  A mms message being sent or recieved does not affect the quota for data, it is included in the texting plan. A smartphone can and will access data on it's own for various functions.

Message 2 of 22 (13,502 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Like @wingrider01 said

Not to sure what your complaining about, I've had the Skyrocket almost a week without issues one bit, can send text & mms without issues using unlimited plan for data
Message 3 of 22 (13,448 Views)
Master

It is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS messages. To me, it sounds like a user error on your part.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 22 (13,433 Views)
Scholar

nugoosh wrote:

Your packet data needs to be on to receive or send photos using text messaging, it does not count towards your data plan.. 

It was the same with my old WP7 Focus and my present Galaxy S2.  

Message 5 of 22 (13,402 Views)
Contributor

Pmt1209 is partially correct. The full truth is that your mobile ISP *WILL* charge you data fees *if* you send the MMS message to an.email address instead of a mobile phone number. I've been dealing with that issue for years with AT&T who, oftentimes, credit me back after calling customer service.
Message 6 of 22 (13,167 Views)
Teacher

No compass regarding text, mms or email . Everything works great
Message 7 of 22 (13,144 Views)
Teacher

No complains *
Message 8 of 22 (13,144 Views)
Contributor

I just switched to Android from iPhone and can't figure out how to set up text messaging on my Skyrocket.  If somebody knows how do it please post step by step instructions for dummies Smiley Happy like me who are new to Android.  Thanks

Message 9 of 22 (13,039 Views)
Master

Well, tap the Messaging icon, > Compose new message > enter a phone number or contact name > then begin typing. It's pretty simple, even for iPhone converts. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 22 (13,031 Views)
Contributor

UMMMM how did you get a skyrocket without a data plan attatched? I know you didn't pay full retail... Also the only way MMS breaks is if you flash a different aftermarket ROM. It is fine out of the box.

Message 11 of 22 (12,795 Views)
Tutor

Mine now working great, including LTE
Message 12 of 22 (12,781 Views)
Master

Martinjv71 wrote:

UMMMM how did you get a skyrocket without a data plan attached?

The user could be using the phone on a prepaid GoPhone account.

I am using a prepaid Samsung Captivate and iPhone 3GS on my GoPhone account. I do not pay a cent for a data plan.

Message 13 of 22 (12,765 Views)

I found out today that mms messaging will not work if the mobile data setting is turned off. This is the setting on the actual phone. So if you are on wifi only, mms messages will not send or be recieved/downloaded . This is an obvious way for att to suck more money out of you. I had an Inspire that allowed me to send mms messages as well as receive them over my wifi, so I basically just spent a ton of money on this skyrocket which is basically a lower quality phone compared to my inspire.
Message 14 of 22 (12,698 Views)
Master

You can still return the phone (it sounds like you've had it for less than 30 days) and go back to your Inspire if you are not completely satisfied overall...

Message 15 of 22 (12,697 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.