Ask a question

Posted Dec 21, 2009
    1:22:05 AM
    View profile
    Best phone for kids?

I find myself in need of a cell phone for my six year old daughter (I know...I know...sounds crazy). Searching for the best match for our particular set of needs (limited dialing capacity, ease of use, inexpensive) we discovered the LG Migo VX1000, then discovered it was discontinued by LG and available only on Verizon anyway. I remembered the Firefly phone used to be available on AT&T (Cingular), but was also disappointed to learn it too had been discontinued. I've seen other phones by other manufacturers, but they all seem unsatisfactory for one or another reason (the Enfora TicTalk is prepaid only, Wherifone appears to be out of business, &c). Pretty slim pickins'.

I don't want a 'grown-up' phone with dialing limitations & other needless features for my six year old. I don't want her to have to remember a bunch of different numbers or learn how to navigate speed dial features. What I want –my ideal situation– would be to purchase an LG Migo VX1000 or a Firefly phone (on that popular auction website that begins with e and ends with Bay), have it activated for the AT&T network and added to my existing account. However, nothing I've seen suggests such a thing is possible. Does anyone here know if such a thing is possible with today's AT&T? If not, has anyone here solved a similar problem for their own family? If so, what was your solution?

Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions, &c. I'll be checking this thread regularly and will happily respond to any qualifiers, questions &c.

Best phone for kids?

10 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (10)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 1:30:11 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by Starfall on Dec 21, 2009 at 1:32:10 AM

My 12 year old daughter loves her chartreuse colored LG Neon, but that might be a little excessive for your daughter.

You can still buy an unlocked GSM Firefly from other outlets, however, such as Amazon.com. Afterwards, it should be a simple matter to have AT&T issue a SIM card for it, and activate the phone for your daughter. 

Message Edited by Millennium Archangel on 12-21-2009 01:32:10 AM
    Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

Re: Best phone for kids?

[ Edited ]
    2 of 11 (23,733 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 1:32:18 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    In your experience could an unlocked GSM Firefly be made to work on the current AT&T network and with my account?

3 of 11 (23,730 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 1:34:20 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Don't know about the Firefly per se, but I've been able to use unlocked phones before (I used an unlocked L7 for my daughter's line when she lost her phone) and they've worked just fine, save for a few necessary tweaks. A Firefly would be much easier to configure too, since it's only going to be used for voice and not for text or web access.

4 of 11 (23,728 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 1:41:01 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I see two unlocked Firefly phones on that auction site right now (one a more modern model and the other the old Firefly). Both claim to be unlocked. If I were to purchase one of these phones I could take it to an AT&T store, buy a suitable sim card, and have it added to my account?

5 of 11 (23,726 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 1:46:36 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Absolutely.

Check out the Amazon link I provided first, though - I trust them before I trust auction sites (especially if used equipment is involved). 

6 of 11 (23,724 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 1:49:59 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Will do. Many thanks MA, for the link and the advice.

7 of 11 (23,722 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 9:32:47 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    I would say no phone is the best phone for any youngster. My 6yr old asked for an Iphone when I bought my 3GS about 3 months ago lol. I told em as long as your w/ mom & dad or anyone who has a cellphone there's no need for you to have one. But if you get the youngster ANY phone that isn't a firefly PLS ensure you have all sms, mms & data access blocked & ensure you have the free purchase blocker & content filters added as well. This way only way they can run up your bill is using all the mins in the plan but no unwanted data charges @ all!!!Smiley Wink

8 of 11 (23,708 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 10:28:43 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Agreed, PhoneScoop. If my circumstances were any different there's no way I'd be buying a phone for my six year old daughter. Alas, I don't always get to call the tune.

My thinking with getting her a Firefly (though I really would prefer the LG MIGO VX1000) is that she can call me & her mom for free using mobile to mobile minutes as both of us are AT&T customers. Without the ability to misdial and call someone in Timbuktu we would really never be on the hook for exorbitant airtime costs. The absolute inability to send TXT/MMS messages or access data services would further protect me as the 'responsibly party' from costs she might inadvertently incur on an 'adult' phone with all the bells & whistles turned off. Lastly, I appreciate the one-touch dialing for her father & mother, and that she will neither have to remember phone numbers nor the byzantine protocols involved in accessing the speed dial feature of many modern phones.

Thanks for your advice!

PhoneScoop wrote:
    I would say no phone is the best phone for any youngster. My 6yr old asked for an Iphone when I bought my 3GS about 3 months ago lol. I told em as long as your w/ mom & dad or anyone who has a cellphone there's no need for you to have one. But if you get the youngster ANY phone that isn't a firefly PLS ensure you have all sms, mms & data access blocked & ensure you have the free purchase blocker & content filters added as well. This way only way they can run up your bill is using all the mins in the plan but no unwanted data charges @ all!!!Smiley Wink

9 of 11 (23,703 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2009 10:48:16 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    i believe the firefly would work, because originally firefly was on att netowrk, it takes a sim card, so i would get an unlocked one just to be safe, and simply call att have them add a line and send you a sim card.

10 of 11 (23,701 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 22, 2009 10:54:52 AM
    (0)
    Professor

http://static.kajeet.com/campaigns/Holiday/index.html?c=G01&gclid=CLzj6qvb6p4CFQchDQodoxV6yQ

Kajeet seems to be the one for kids.  Children catch on to technology at a faster pace than adults. It's insane how quick they catch on. Give your youngster some time and they will be troubleshooting YOUR phone for you..LOL..

11 of 11 (18,973 Views)