Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 3, 2010
12:14:29 PM
Best/Recommended Screen Protector for Tilt 2?

I just received my Tilt 2 yesterday, and was a little bothered by the fact that no screen protector was included. Anyway, I have found 2 options that really stand out to me so far. One is Bodyguardz and the other is Zagg Invisible Shield. Can anyone give me their thoughts on either one? I am only interested in the screen protector and not the full body protection. 

What is most important to me is that there are no air bubbles trapped after installation and also that the responsiveness of the screen isn't compromised.

Does anyone have any other recommendations as well? 

I just received my Tilt 2 yesterday, and was a little bothered by the fact that no screen protector was included. Anyway, I have found 2 options that really stand out to me so far. One is Bodyguardz and the other is Zagg Invisible Shield. Can anyone give me their thoughts on either one? I am only interested in the screen protector and not the full body protection. 

What is most important to me is that there are no air bubbles trapped after installation and also that the responsiveness of the screen isn't compromised.

Does anyone have any other recommendations as well? 

Best/Recommended Screen Protector for Tilt 2?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2010 12:36:18 PM
(0)
Employee
One does come with the unit. I went to the ATT Store and they have one made specifically for thie T2 for about $10 for 3. It seems to be pretty good if you follow the application directions. It does not seem to impact Touch Screen usage.
One does come with the unit. I went to the ATT Store and they have one made specifically for thie T2 for about $10 for 3. It seems to be pretty good if you follow the application directions. It does not seem to impact Touch Screen usage.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Best/Recommended Screen Protector for Tilt 2?

2 of 18 (2,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2010 1:39:44 PM
(0)
Guru
I'll check the box again when I get home, but when I looked yesterday there was no screen protector. And this was with a sealed AT&T box. I hope I just glossed over it in my excitement. 
I'll check the box again when I get home, but when I looked yesterday there was no screen protector. And this was with a sealed AT&T box. I hope I just glossed over it in my excitement. 

3 of 18 (2,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2010 3:29:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

Specifically look inside the pouch where you they have included the CD. 

I had the screen protector in the pack along with the CD.  

Specifically look inside the pouch where you they have included the CD. 

I had the screen protector in the pack along with the CD.  

4 of 18 (2,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2010 6:50:59 PM
(0)
Guru

Yep, it was hiding with the CD. It would have stayed hidden for years! Thanks!

But I am sure that I will need a replacement soon. Any suggestions? 

Yep, it was hiding with the CD. It would have stayed hidden for years! Thanks!

But I am sure that I will need a replacement soon. Any suggestions? 

5 of 18 (2,624 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2010 7:13:07 PM
(0)
Master
I use the BodyGuardz and LOVE them!!  I don't think you'll go wrong with those.  I've had the same one on my Fuze since the day I brought that baby home.  :smileyhappy:
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
I use the BodyGuardz and LOVE them!!  I don't think you'll go wrong with those.  I've had the same one on my Fuze since the day I brought that baby home.  :smileyhappy:
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

6 of 18 (2,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2010 5:51:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I was unimpressed with the screen protector that came with the Tilt2.  It showed smudges and fingerprints very easily.  I used mine until it was gross enough to change.  After that I would recommend getting  a high quality one like the brands you mentioned (Zagg, Bodyguardz).   These brands come highly rated.  And while they cost more than the cheapy "3 for $10" type you can get at Best Buy, its really not that much money based on the fact that it will easily last you 3-4 months or more if you take good care of your phone. 

I bought a 3 pack from Boxwave, as they got some good comments on XDA.  They are very well made, and don't smudge too easily. I got the "Crystal", although the "Anti-Glare" is supposed to be even better for not showing fingerprints (but has a matte finish, and a bit of texture which some people may like or dislike). Screen response is great (although I've never tried the touchscreen without a protector!).  The one thing, the Boxwave Crystal shows a slight cloudy pattern in fluorescent light (nearly invisible when screen is on), which is not visible under incandescent or sunlight. Its a minor issue.  But I might try Zagg or Bodyguardz next time.  The Boxwave protectors also come with a microfiber cloth and applicator (a small plastic card you can use to press out the air bubbles).

Any quality screen protector will install with no air bubble, if done properly.   You can almost always push any air bubbles to the edges to make them disappear using a credit card.  The hardest part is  installing so a minimum of dust is trapped under the protector.  At a minimum, wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth to remove any fingerprints, smudges, and dust.   Then use a can of compressed air (air duster) to blow any remaining dust off the screen.  Quickly install the protector before any more dust drops on the screen.

You can also try a trick used by computer modders.  Run a hot shower to steam up the bathroom for 10 minutes or so.  The steam will pull a lot of dust out of the air.  Then bring your phone, protector, and other materials (air duster, microfiber cloth) into the bathroom and do the install there.  I've done this a couple times, and it works pretty good.  Its really hard to get it perfect.  But if you're careful, you will get satisfying results.  I don't leave the phone in the bathroom while running the shower, as that might be enough moisture to damage the phone.  A tiny bit of moisture may get under the protector from the steam.  But this will disappear as the water evaporates.

A few other tips:  Only handle the protector by the edges when installing.  If you get a fingerprint on the underside, it will show forever.  The better protectors seem to be much more forgiving with this.  Try to handle as little as possible.  It may take a few tries to get it lined up.  But after that, don't mess with it.  You may get a few specks of dust under the protector, and think you can fix it.  But trust me, you will almost certainly do more harm than good.  Just leave it alone.   A few specks will not be noticeable when you use the phone.

Good luck!

I was unimpressed with the screen protector that came with the Tilt2.  It showed smudges and fingerprints very easily.  I used mine until it was gross enough to change.  After that I would recommend getting  a high quality one like the brands you mentioned (Zagg, Bodyguardz).   These brands come highly rated.  And while they cost more than the cheapy "3 for $10" type you can get at Best Buy, its really not that much money based on the fact that it will easily last you 3-4 months or more if you take good care of your phone. 

I bought a 3 pack from Boxwave, as they got some good comments on XDA.  They are very well made, and don't smudge too easily. I got the "Crystal", although the "Anti-Glare" is supposed to be even better for not showing fingerprints (but has a matte finish, and a bit of texture which some people may like or dislike). Screen response is great (although I've never tried the touchscreen without a protector!).  The one thing, the Boxwave Crystal shows a slight cloudy pattern in fluorescent light (nearly invisible when screen is on), which is not visible under incandescent or sunlight. Its a minor issue.  But I might try Zagg or Bodyguardz next time.  The Boxwave protectors also come with a microfiber cloth and applicator (a small plastic card you can use to press out the air bubbles).

Any quality screen protector will install with no air bubble, if done properly.   You can almost always push any air bubbles to the edges to make them disappear using a credit card.  The hardest part is  installing so a minimum of dust is trapped under the protector.  At a minimum, wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth to remove any fingerprints, smudges, and dust.   Then use a can of compressed air (air duster) to blow any remaining dust off the screen.  Quickly install the protector before any more dust drops on the screen.

You can also try a trick used by computer modders.  Run a hot shower to steam up the bathroom for 10 minutes or so.  The steam will pull a lot of dust out of the air.  Then bring your phone, protector, and other materials (air duster, microfiber cloth) into the bathroom and do the install there.  I've done this a couple times, and it works pretty good.  Its really hard to get it perfect.  But if you're careful, you will get satisfying results.  I don't leave the phone in the bathroom while running the shower, as that might be enough moisture to damage the phone.  A tiny bit of moisture may get under the protector from the steam.  But this will disappear as the water evaporates.

A few other tips:  Only handle the protector by the edges when installing.  If you get a fingerprint on the underside, it will show forever.  The better protectors seem to be much more forgiving with this.  Try to handle as little as possible.  It may take a few tries to get it lined up.  But after that, don't mess with it.  You may get a few specks of dust under the protector, and think you can fix it.  But trust me, you will almost certainly do more harm than good.  Just leave it alone.   A few specks will not be noticeable when you use the phone.

Good luck!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 18 (2,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2010 11:04:42 AM
(0)
Guru

I just pulled the trigger on Bodyguardz. I'll report back when I try them out.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback! 

8 of 18 (2,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2010 11:32:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

I use boxwave.com, i find the zagg ones sorta rubbery..not good for touch screens. at least for me thats the case.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/easyfinder/buy-best-htc-tilt-2-accessories_3729.htm

I use boxwave.com, i find the zagg ones sorta rubbery..not good for touch screens. at least for me thats the case.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/easyfinder/buy-best-htc-tilt-2-accessories_3729.htm

9 of 18 (2,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2010 12:40:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
I know its not what the OP said they wanted...but, over the weekend when we got the wife's Tilt 2 we also bought the clear "full body" phone protector. I must say, for the $30 of whatever it cost, I wish I had done the same with my Fuze. At any rate, the protector I use on my Fuze wasn't cheap, was not easy to put on, but I have yet to change it. Was worth the $20 or so, from Best Buy. Not sure if they offer much for Tilt 2s....yet.
I know its not what the OP said they wanted...but, over the weekend when we got the wife's Tilt 2 we also bought the clear "full body" phone protector. I must say, for the $30 of whatever it cost, I wish I had done the same with my Fuze. At any rate, the protector I use on my Fuze wasn't cheap, was not easy to put on, but I have yet to change it. Was worth the $20 or so, from Best Buy. Not sure if they offer much for Tilt 2s....yet.

10 of 18 (2,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2010 6:26:25 AM
(0)
Scholar
Check Zagg.com, they offer a full body and/or screen protector.  I use this on my Pure...I am really impressed with the screen protector portion, as it seems to make the screen more sensitive.
Check Zagg.com, they offer a full body and/or screen protector.  I use this on my Pure...I am really impressed with the screen protector portion, as it seems to make the screen more sensitive.

11 of 18 (1,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2010 10:31:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by spacetimeissofine on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:32:38 AM

I only use the zagg protectors for the body, and boxwave for the screen. i found the zagg screen protectors too rubbery for me.

Message Edited by spacetimeissofine on 03-10-2010 10:32:38 AM

I only use the zagg protectors for the body, and boxwave for the screen. i found the zagg screen protectors too rubbery for me.

Message Edited by spacetimeissofine on 03-10-2010 10:32:38 AM

[ Edited ]
12 of 18 (1,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 7:47:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

kcrumbley wrote:

So how did the BodyGuardZ work out for you?  I too went with the BodyGuardZ.  At first I thought it was a big mistake.  When you first install it, it looks really bad!  But the instructions say to be patient; it will clear up in 12-24 hours.  It took mine around 2 days but it looks awesome now.  The only complaint I have is that it is sticky when you try to swipe your finger across the screen.  If the boneheads at HTC would have put a navigation device on the front, that wouldn't be a problem...

kcrumbley wrote:

So how did the BodyGuardZ work out for you?  I too went with the BodyGuardZ.  At first I thought it was a big mistake.  When you first install it, it looks really bad!  But the instructions say to be patient; it will clear up in 12-24 hours.  It took mine around 2 days but it looks awesome now.  The only complaint I have is that it is sticky when you try to swipe your finger across the screen.  If the boneheads at HTC would have put a navigation device on the front, that wouldn't be a problem...

13 of 18 (1,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2010 1:24:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

Check out BoxWave, Their ClearTouch Crystal is amazingly clear. It's smooth to the touch and feels as if there's nothing there. I've tried many different brands but I always end up going back to BoxWave. Zaggs, I found too rubbery and complicated to install. But BoxWave's is pretty simple. Just make sure you have scotch tape handy, as its a good way to remove lint/dust (which cause bubbles) from the adhesive side of the screen protector. It's better than using your fingers!

Check out BoxWave, Their ClearTouch Crystal is amazingly clear. It's smooth to the touch and feels as if there's nothing there. I've tried many different brands but I always end up going back to BoxWave. Zaggs, I found too rubbery and complicated to install. But BoxWave's is pretty simple. Just make sure you have scotch tape handy, as its a good way to remove lint/dust (which cause bubbles) from the adhesive side of the screen protector. It's better than using your fingers!

14 of 18 (1,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2010 1:42:15 PM
(0)
Guru

ameiurus wrote:

kcrumbley wrote:

Actually, once I found the protector that came in the package, I just used that one. I did order the BodyGuardz brand, but I still have it in the package and will use it once the other is worn out. 

ameiurus wrote:

kcrumbley wrote:

Actually, once I found the protector that came in the package, I just used that one. I did order the BodyGuardz brand, but I still have it in the package and will use it once the other is worn out. 

15 of 18 (1,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 4:09:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

I tried one of the Mirror type screen protectors from Ebay, they were like$5.00 and some change for 2 of them. They are custome fit like everyone elses. I have to say I am impressed with it, of course I am not really picky when it comes to those things, I thought the original was fine that came with the phone. But anyway, when the screen is off its a perfect mirror, and when you turn the screen on I have no problems seeing the screen. Except I have my brightness maxed out, so it may differ when you use the auto settings. Also I have no air bubbles either.

Just putting this out there incase anyone wanted to know!

thanks

I tried one of the Mirror type screen protectors from Ebay, they were like$5.00 and some change for 2 of them. They are custome fit like everyone elses. I have to say I am impressed with it, of course I am not really picky when it comes to those things, I thought the original was fine that came with the phone. But anyway, when the screen is off its a perfect mirror, and when you turn the screen on I have no problems seeing the screen. Except I have my brightness maxed out, so it may differ when you use the auto settings. Also I have no air bubbles either.

Just putting this out there incase anyone wanted to know!

thanks

16 of 18 (1,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2010 7:09:01 AM
(0)
Voyager

There is a site called htcdepot.com that sells 3 pack screen protectors for the Tilt 2. They are very good and specifically made for the Tilt 2.  

There is a site called htcdepot.com that sells 3 pack screen protectors for the Tilt 2. They are very good and specifically made for the Tilt 2.  

17 of 18 (1,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2010 4:59:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just recently got the Boxwave clear crystal screen protector and it's phenomenal. I tried the one thast came in the box and I had bubbles everywhere.  This one rocks...

I just recently got the Boxwave clear crystal screen protector and it's phenomenal. I tried the one thast came in the box and I had bubbles everywhere.  This one rocks...

18 of 18 (1,035 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments