Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 15, 2010
8:46:59 PM
Best Buy selling Dell Streak for $99

Best Buy for some reason is really not advertising this, but it's true I just sold my Iphone and purchased one. It's still running Android 1.6 but it's due for the 2.2 update in a day now.(so they say) Kinda of big but I'll get used to it and for $99 bucks can't really go wrong.

Best Buy for some reason is really not advertising this, but it's true I just sold my Iphone and purchased one. It's still running Android 1.6 but it's due for the 2.2 update in a day now.(so they say) Kinda of big but I'll get used to it and for $99 bucks can't really go wrong.

Best Buy selling Dell Streak for $99

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 5:38:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just picked one up today.

I'm waiting for the update.  Come on AT&T, don't let me down!  I need Froyo!

Smiley Wink

I just picked one up today.

I'm waiting for the update.  Come on AT&T, don't let me down!  I need Froyo!

Smiley Wink

Re: Best Buy selling Dell Streak for $99

2 of 16 (1,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 1:57:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've read online that possibly the week of January 12.....though knowing Dell, it's anyone's guess.

Any idea where that extra tax charge came from Best Buy?????

I've read online that possibly the week of January 12.....though knowing Dell, it's anyone's guess.

3 of 16 (1,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 7:54:06 PM
(0)
Master

diagoro wrote:

What kind of extra tax?  Was it just higher?  Some states charge tax off of the retail price and not the discount/reduced/sale price that it was sold for.  I believe California does this to its customers/sales.

diagoro wrote:

What kind of extra tax?  Was it just higher?  Some states charge tax off of the retail price and not the discount/reduced/sale price that it was sold for.  I believe California does this to its customers/sales.

4 of 16 (1,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2010 9:22:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

Finally had time for some research today and found this article. Guess it's just another way for the California govt to jack its citizens (or non-depending on how you look at things).

Pretty pathetic paying $99 for a phone, than seeing an additional $54 in tax.....

Finally had time for some research today and found this article. Guess it's just another way for the California govt to jack its citizens (or non-depending on how you look at things).

Pretty pathetic paying $99 for a phone, than seeing an additional $54 in tax.....

5 of 16 (1,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 10:48:40 AM
(0)
Guru

Unless you know absolutely nothing about how to update a device, the Froyo update for the streak IS

available.  You just need to know where to look.

Takes maybe 15 minutes to do the update (after downloading).

The "easy" way is to use the QDL-Repair tool, which comes with the 308/9 version of 2.2

After you get that updated, it's just a matter of going to the update site on Dell, with the streak,

downloading the update and let it do its stuff.

Of course, if you go this route, two things will happen.  I'm sure it voids the warranty, and 2nd, it won't

come with the "wonderful" at&t "value added" software.  Plus, you won't be able to teather or bluetooth file

transfer with the at&t rom.

Unless you know absolutely nothing about how to update a device, the Froyo update for the streak IS

available.  You just need to know where to look.

Takes maybe 15 minutes to do the update (after downloading).

The "easy" way is to use the QDL-Repair tool, which comes with the 308/9 version of 2.2

After you get that updated, it's just a matter of going to the update site on Dell, with the streak,

downloading the update and let it do its stuff.

Of course, if you go this route, two things will happen.  I'm sure it voids the warranty, and 2nd, it won't

come with the "wonderful" at&t "value added" software.  Plus, you won't be able to teather or bluetooth file

transfer with the at&t rom.

2.2 IS available

6 of 16 (1,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 9:11:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

I believe the poster probably mean that the update isn't available officially from AT&T.  That's what I took it as.

I don't want to void my warranty for a device I just brought on contract.

Although are you sure AT&T will remove tethering ?

I believe the poster probably mean that the update isn't available officially from AT&T.  That's what I took it as.

Re: 2.2 IS available

7 of 16 (1,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2010 4:59:04 AM
(0)
Expert

br4nd0nh347 wrote:

not sure if you hack the hpne, but tethering is available, just not for free

1. 2GB data plan @ 25.00

2. tethering option @ 20.00

total casue for tethering that is valid for att is 45.00 a month.  While you maybe able to tethering without those requirements you are violating the terms of service of your contract. ATT does not permit tethering on unlimited data plan at all.

br4nd0nh347 wrote:

not sure if you hack the hpne, but tethering is available, just not for free

1. 2GB data plan @ 25.00

2. tethering option @ 20.00

total casue for tethering that is valid for att is 45.00 a month.  While you maybe able to tethering without those requirements you are violating the terms of service of your contract. ATT does not permit tethering on unlimited data plan at all.

8 of 16 (1,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 12:02:49 PM
(0)
Guru

Most likely.  Any "wireless" features that would allow you do to something "free" will most likely be removed,

and replaced with "pay for play" apps.

With the "non" at&t firmware, the wi-fi hotspot/teathering app is still there.  You "can" use it, but I can guarantee

you if you start using it to connect your computer & start download a lot of files, at&t will ding you for the bandwith.

If you "stay under the radar" they probably won't bother you.

Most likely.  Any "wireless" features that would allow you do to something "free" will most likely be removed,

and replaced with "pay for play" apps.

With the "non" at&t firmware, the wi-fi hotspot/teathering app is still there.  You "can" use it, but I can guarantee

you if you start using it to connect your computer & start download a lot of files, at&t will ding you for the bandwith.

If you "stay under the radar" they probably won't bother you.

9 of 16 (1,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 5:24:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

The one I bought from Best Buy, on contract, had NO ATT blotware. Pleasantly surprised! Wondering if this is due to Best Buy selling both contract and off from the same in-store stock.

I also tried updating last wee; but a bit lost in the process. Had no luck with trying to install the app (or process) that allows non-market apps. I'm not technically un-inclined, as I've been building websites for ten years, etc.......

Considering a wait until the official release, since it's rumored for two weeks from now. Would love a boost to the battery life though, easily kills a charge in less than a day.

The one I bought from Best Buy, on contract, had NO ATT blotware. Pleasantly surprised! Wondering if this is due to Best Buy selling both contract and off from the same in-store stock.

I also tried updating last wee; but a bit lost in the process. Had no luck with trying to install the app (or process) that allows non-market apps. I'm not technically un-inclined, as I've been building websites for ten years, etc.......

Considering a wait until the official release, since it's rumored for two weeks from now. Would love a boost to the battery life though, easily kills a charge in less than a day.

10 of 16 (1,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 11:54:07 AM
(0)
Guru

If you are familar with the xda-developers site, give that a go.  They have a Dell Streak section, and a how to, to use the QDL-tool to get the 309 version of 2.2 on it, then it's simply a matter of updating to the 318 version.

Battery life is MUCH improved also.

If you are familar with the xda-developers site, give that a go.  They have a Dell Streak section, and a how to, to use the QDL-tool to get the 309 version of 2.2 on it, then it's simply a matter of updating to the 318 version.

Battery life is MUCH improved also.

11 of 16 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 4:18:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

XDA helped make my Tilt2 much more usable than it would have been otherwise. 

In my case, it may be more an issue with my 'piece of *&%' Velocity Micro system than the process......

XDA helped make my Tilt2 much more usable than it would have been otherwise. 

In my case, it may be more an issue with my 'piece of *&%' Velocity Micro system than the process......

12 of 16 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 12:55:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Since AT&T doesn't sell it directly, it doesn't come with any of that extra stuff.  Unfortunately this ruins one important thing for me.

AT&T doesn't offer wireless insurance for the Dell Streak.  Since it is not sold by AT&T they do not support it.

Here is a link on Att's site 

or you can go to this pdf updated Dec 1, 2010

from this webpage

I also called Asurion about this and they confirmed it.

I just wanted to let everyone know about this.

I really like this phone.  I should add that since it is connected to the ATT network on the Android market there is a page for ATT apps.

Since AT&T doesn't sell it directly, it doesn't come with any of that extra stuff.  Unfortunately this ruins one important thing for me.

AT&T doesn't offer wireless insurance for the Dell Streak.  Since it is not sold by AT&T they do not support it.

Here is a link on Att's site 

or you can go to this pdf updated Dec 1, 2010

from this webpage

I also called Asurion about this and they confirmed it.

I just wanted to let everyone know about this.

I really like this phone.  I should add that since it is connected to the ATT network on the Android market there is a page for ATT apps.

13 of 16 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 4:00:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

I believe there is a Best Buy extended warranty that can be purchased, if originally through them. I actually understand why ATT wouldn't have their own insurance, since they seem to have nothing to do with the device's sale, just the service. 

I believe there is a Best Buy extended warranty that can be purchased, if originally through them. I actually understand why ATT wouldn't have their own insurance, since they seem to have nothing to do with the device's sale, just the service. 

14 of 16 (620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 2:37:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

If i bought my dell streak from Dell will the tethering option be removed or will I be charged when the new 2.2 version rolls out..

What about using my phone as a wifi hot spot?

Thanks

If i bought my dell streak from Dell will the tethering option be removed or will I be charged when the new 2.2 version rolls out..

What about using my phone as a wifi hot spot?

Thanks

15 of 16 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 5:13:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

You can get accidental damage insurance from SquareTrade.  I just had my keyboard go bad on a laptop and they reimbursed me 100% for the replacement KB (I requested them just reimburse for the parts since I didn't want to wait for a repair). 

You can get accidental damage insurance from SquareTrade.  I just had my keyboard go bad on a laptop and they reimbursed me 100% for the replacement KB (I requested them just reimburse for the parts since I didn't want to wait for a repair). 

16 of 16 (578 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments