Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 9, 2010
4:39:25 PM
View profile
Best AT&T non-data phone

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate responses to any of them.

My wife and I are current T-mobile customers for quite a few years. We are having network issues, such as, no connection (zero bars), etc. at work in the NJ/NY area. We are looking to change to AT&T hoping for a better network since most of our colleagues have AT&T and feel ok about it. Many people opt for AT&T due to the iPhone and not for AT&T's network quality. After reading many reviews online and the many posts in this forum, I am not certain that moving from T-mobile to AT&T is a sure way to improve network issues. Any comments will be appreciated. (BTW, I have looked at Verizon and there does not seem to be much difference between AT&T and Verizon.)

If we move to AT&T, we will opt for the $59.99 or $69.99 family plan with two lines. We strictly do not want the data/messaging or any other plan. I believe, that makes our choice for phones pretty limited. I looked at AT&T's website and here are the phones I found:

LG CF360

LG Shine II

Nokia 6350

Samsung a777

Samsung Rugby® II
Sony Ericsson W518a

Pantech Breeze II

Motorola Tundra

Call quality is our most important concern. If you have used any of these phones, pease comment on what would be the best choice. Many thanks in advance.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate responses to any of them.

My wife and I are current T-mobile customers for quite a few years. We are having network issues, such as, no connection (zero bars), etc. at work in the NJ/NY area. We are looking to change to AT&T hoping for a better network since most of our colleagues have AT&T and feel ok about it. Many people opt for AT&T due to the iPhone and not for AT&T's network quality. After reading many reviews online and the many posts in this forum, I am not certain that moving from T-mobile to AT&T is a sure way to improve network issues. Any comments will be appreciated. (BTW, I have looked at Verizon and there does not seem to be much difference between AT&T and Verizon.)

If we move to AT&T, we will opt for the $59.99 or $69.99 family plan with two lines. We strictly do not want the data/messaging or any other plan. I believe, that makes our choice for phones pretty limited. I looked at AT&T's website and here are the phones I found:

LG CF360

LG Shine II

Nokia 6350

Samsung a777

Samsung Rugby® II
Sony Ericsson W518a

Pantech Breeze II

Motorola Tundra

Call quality is our most important concern. If you have used any of these phones, pease comment on what would be the best choice. Many thanks in advance.

Best AT&T non-data phone

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 4:29:44 AM
(0)
Guru

So Call Quality and call reception are important to your family. Since you don't want any messaging/data plans that does limit your phones. I like Nokia's for want you want. Nokia Mural is another option. Nokia's are very good with reception. Based on your limitations you can always go to an ATT store and try out which ones you like the best.

So Call Quality and call reception are important to your family. Since you don't want any messaging/data plans that does limit your phones. I like Nokia's for want you want. Nokia Mural is another option. Nokia's are very good with reception. Based on your limitations you can always go to an ATT store and try out which ones you like the best.

Re: Best AT&T non-data phone

2 of 10 (14,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 5:32:57 AM
(0)
Guru

i will recommend you the Sony Ericsson W518a

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

i will recommend you the Sony Ericsson W518a

3 of 10 (14,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 8:06:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

It WAS the Sony c905 (until AT&T discontinued it due to massive debranding) but as of right now I would say the Sony w518.  It has better specs than the Nokia 6350.  I have used Sony phones for the past 4 years and have 0 complaints.  They are great phones.

It WAS the Sony c905 (until AT&T discontinued it due to massive debranding) but as of right now I would say the Sony w518.  It has better specs than the Nokia 6350.  I have used Sony phones for the past 4 years and have 0 complaints.  They are great phones.

4 of 10 (14,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 8:22:47 AM
(0)
Guru

Nokia is the way to go if your first concern is call quality and signal.

I wouldn't recommend Sony Ericsson. Personal experience: the fast port of my old SE stopped working after a year of usage and I couldn't be able to charge the battery or use the earbuds on it anymore.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Nokia is the way to go if your first concern is call quality and signal.

I wouldn't recommend Sony Ericsson. Personal experience: the fast port of my old SE stopped working after a year of usage and I couldn't be able to charge the battery or use the earbuds on it anymore.

5 of 10 (14,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 9:56:01 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks to all who replied. Nokia seems to be general consensus for best call quality.

I am considering the Nokia E71x and Surge, slightly leaning towards the former. The AT&T website says for both of them:

"Requires purchase of a $15/mo data service. 2 year contract & new activation required."

Does that mean we will HAVE to continue the $15/mo data service for the whole 2 years? If not, how soon can we discontinue the $15/mo data service?

Thanks to all who replied. Nokia seems to be general consensus for best call quality.

I am considering the Nokia E71x and Surge, slightly leaning towards the former. The AT&T website says for both of them:

"Requires purchase of a $15/mo data service. 2 year contract & new activation required."

Does that mean we will HAVE to continue the $15/mo data service for the whole 2 years? If not, how soon can we discontinue the $15/mo data service?

6 of 10 (14,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 10:04:00 AM
(0)
Mentor

You have to have the data service the entire time.  That is the kicker.  AT&T is not going to offer nice phones anymore unless you pay for data service (The c905 was the last nice phone that didn't require data service that AT&T will ever carry).  You may be better off buying a phone on ebay, getting a free Nokia 6350, and then selling it to make up for the money you spent on the phone you really wanted.  IMO all of AT&T's phones that they have available right now that don't require data service are garbage, all very boring.

You have to have the data service the entire time.  That is the kicker.  AT&T is not going to offer nice phones anymore unless you pay for data service (The c905 was the last nice phone that didn't require data service that AT&T will ever carry).  You may be better off buying a phone on ebay, getting a free Nokia 6350, and then selling it to make up for the money you spent on the phone you really wanted.  IMO all of AT&T's phones that they have available right now that don't require data service are garbage, all very boring.

7 of 10 (14,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 9:48:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

I hate Sony Ericsson phones. I would never get another one.  I have had nothing but trouble with mine sicne I got it and can't wit to get rid of it.

I hate Sony Ericsson phones. I would never get another one.  I have had nothing but trouble with mine sicne I got it and can't wit to get rid of it.

8 of 10 (9,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 2:23:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

I agree with the Nokia recommendation.   They also have good battery life and build quality (referring to bar phones here as I've never had a Nokia flip, they hold up to the many drops I put them through). 

Personally, I would get a Nokia elsewhere (Amazon would be my choice but there's eBay, Wal Mart, and other options as well).  Not buying from AT&T would allow you to start service on a month to month basis with NO contract.   Then if you decide it's not up to par you can cancel with no repercussions.  

Be sure to let them know that you have your own device and do not want a contract, just month to month service.  

I agree with the Nokia recommendation.   They also have good battery life and build quality (referring to bar phones here as I've never had a Nokia flip, they hold up to the many drops I put them through). 

Personally, I would get a Nokia elsewhere (Amazon would be my choice but there's eBay, Wal Mart, and other options as well).  Not buying from AT&T would allow you to start service on a month to month basis with NO contract.   Then if you decide it's not up to par you can cancel with no repercussions.  

Be sure to let them know that you have your own device and do not want a contract, just month to month service.  

9 of 10 (9,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 12:15:44 PM
(0)
Professor

I have had Nokia, Samsung, and BlackBerry brand phones and they have worked very well for me.  I recommend Nokia because they have been such a dependable brand.  I don't know if you're into the slider phones, but it looks like you have a few on your list here that you are considering.  I had a Samsung A737 slider phone and it actually is a little harder to dial a telephone number on a slider phone, due to the flat keys, than on other phones that have physical buttons.  I recommend the Samsung Solstice 2, which is what I have right now.  It's a touch screen quick messaging phone that does not require a data plan.  The audio quality on it is really good and I am very happy with it. 

I have had Nokia, Samsung, and BlackBerry brand phones and they have worked very well for me.  I recommend Nokia because they have been such a dependable brand.  I don't know if you're into the slider phones, but it looks like you have a few on your list here that you are considering.  I had a Samsung A737 slider phone and it actually is a little harder to dial a telephone number on a slider phone, due to the flat keys, than on other phones that have physical buttons.  I recommend the Samsung Solstice 2, which is what I have right now.  It's a touch screen quick messaging phone that does not require a data plan.  The audio quality on it is really good and I am very happy with it. 

10 of 10 (9,434 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments