Being charged for intl. roaming when I've never left the country

Tutor

Being charged for intl. roaming when I've never left the country

Does anyone have any idea why AT&T thinks I'm roamin internationally when I live in Kansas.

I have received this line in an email from a rep after I sent in a trouble ticket:

We show under your unbilled data usage that data was used in the Island of Turks and Caicos. These data charges along with accessing your voicemail are valid charges. 

Data roaming has never been turned on.  I don't know where the Island of Turks or Caicos is.  It seems that whenever I may be "off-network" (even though I'm in the middle of their preferred area) it may be thinking I'm over seas. 

Has anyone seen this before?  I've read stories online of people being charged for intl rates when they were on a cruise or in line for a cruise on a USA dock, but neither of these situations apply to me.  The closest I've been to the coast in the last two months is Orlando.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6 (2,266 Views)
Guru

Re: Being charged for intl. roaming when I've never left the country

Hi, the Turks and Cacos are a Caribbean Island chain:

http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com/

Look closely at your bill, were there local charges that occurred at nearly the same time.  How much are we talking about?  In litigation, we have forced ATT to provide information about what cell tower a person's phones were at a particular time.  If you push the matter hard, you can force them to provide these reports.  You'll have to get to their legal compliance division and may even have to invoke your right to arbitrate to force them to fork over this data.  

Getting this information is really pulling teeth.  Read this forum as an example:

http://forums.mobiledia.com/topic55593.html

I attended a seminar in New Mexico where an attorney battling ATT got the data out of them after numerous denials that the information was available.  If you are fighting a $5,000 roaming bill, it might be worth it.  It is probably not worth it for $300.   

Message 2 of 6 (2,258 Views)
Tutor

After a few calls to customer service, they have reported that it is a problem in billing and a hardware issue with their towers.  They removed the charges.  I just hope that this doesn't happen again.

Thank you for your reply and link.  I read both and just hope that I don't have to fight them as other individuals have had to.

Message 3 of 6 (2,227 Views)
Contributor

I currently have 4.25mb of Pay as You Go Data Access - and an AT&T Rep said it was for International Data usage. I have not left the country in a couple of years. She also could not tell me when as there was no record of it on my usage. Working on getting this fixed...
Message 4 of 6 (2,202 Views)
Tutor

I got a different stories depending on who you asked.  I guess this is typical of AT&T.  Two different phone reps confirmed that it is a bug in their system.  When I emailed the same issue in as a question, they told me that I owed it (see above).  So, just keep on them.  They said that they were working on getting the errors removed before the next bill came out so that it didn't reflect incorrectly.  Probably trying to save  PR and customer service nightmare.
Message 5 of 6 (2,168 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

Keep after them.  I recently got a new phone with a new sim card.  The sim card was already associated with someone elses account.
Message 6 of 6 (1,959 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.